Does anyone enjoy shooting slingshots?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arcee

Bearcat
I am 72 y/o and own 2 of the scout xt's. Grandkids come over and they take them out back with a Tupperware bowl full of clay .5" balls. I get them on Amazon by the 1000 ball bag. They disintegrate in the rain (a few rains till all gone)
and shatter on impact. I also use it to get vultures off my roof when they decide to perch there. I knocked a squirrel off my chimney as he was staring at me from 15 feet up.
All in all, useful to move pests and varmints along, fun to shoot and fun for the grandkids. I love my scout xt.

v/r arcee

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I remember in high school that sling shots were occasionally used to fire Cherry Bombs into the air and a distance; One guy pulled the patch back, another person lit the fuse and SWISH !!!
BANG !!! a distance away.

JStacy

Single-Sixer
Saunders makes a band set called "Black Mamba" that is specially formulated latex with graphite in it and that are expensive, but they will last in excess of 2000 shots. I know from personal experience. The 5/8" marbles you get at the family dollar store, now 1.25, are good general sling shot ammunition and you can make an "A" frame shaped back stop with an old tee shirt hung over it and you are set up for a bunch of shooting fun. And yes the deer do not like getting whacked with the 5/8" marbles, but it is better than hearing from the wife about the flower bed they destroyed. 36 caliber lead balls, really .375, makes good sling shot ammo for hunting as well as 1/2" steel balls. I shoot with my friend locally and he has done a lot to improve my accuracy with a sling shot, and fun to boot!!

JStacy

Single-Sixer
some of my sling shots and drawing for classic
Tex Classic
Bamboo SS 001
Black oak 001

Yep I don't remember how old I was when Dad and I made my first sling shot. Made from a forked tree branch, red inter tube and a tongue from an old shoe.
At around 12-13 I graduated to a Wham-O which I think it used flat Gum Rubber Bands I shot my stash of marbles and ball bearings among a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:

Zonker5

Bearcat
Every fall I gather a bucket of acorns from the front yard. They are biodegradable, free and are great ammunition for keeeping squirrels out of the garden.

xtratoy

Buckeye
CHOLO, just curious, do you shoot your slingshot with the handle held verticle or horizontal? And do you attach the band TTF or OTF?

Cholo

Staff member
JStacy, those slingshots you make are amazing! I have a bag of glass marbles just for when I want to keep an undesirable critter moving along LOL
Every fall I gather a bucket of acorns from the front yard. They are biodegradable, free and are great ammunition for keeeping squirrels out of the garden.
I killed a squirrel with a big acorn when I was a kid, and I cut his tail off. Looking back, I think he was dead. Anyway, he sure wasn't moving.
CHOLO, just curious, do you shoot your slingshot with the handle held verticle or horizontal? And do you attach the band TTF or OTF?
I hold it horizontal/sideways. I shoot over the forks. I shot thru the forks when I first started but was hitting the left (top) fork too often. Knowing just a little more now, it was caused by my pinching the ammo too far forward. Hitting that fork will happen OTF or TTF if you don't pinch the ammo right. I can't say I can see much difference either way, and I still hit that fork now and then LOL

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
When I was maybe 7, my dad dug out a Y stick that he had cut and saved 30 years earlier just because he thought it was perfectly shaped to make a slingshot one day. So he finally did finish it for me. It had flat bands and he made a leather pouch for it. It wasn't very powerful but it worked well enough for me for a while. Later I got one of the Wham-O Sportsmans like the pic above, and then a Wrist Rocket. Then they came out with an upgraded configuration that had a black webbed arm brace and a black pistol grip that must have been fiberglass or some dense plastic. I think they had a new name for that one, or maybe something like Wrist Rocket II. You didn't have to stick your hand through the wrist brace loop with that one. That was back before lead was taboo and my dad, who was already set up for bullet molding, made a mold out of aluminum blocks that cast 5 slingshot ammo balls at once. They must have been around 35 caliber. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the slingshot pistol grip that could hold about a half dozen of the lead balls and made a pivoting cover for it out of a fishing spinner blade.

I couldn't pull back to full draw because I am right eye dominant but shot it lefthanded, so my left hand holding the ball/pouch was over my right shoulder instead of back by my ear when I fired. Over time, I taught myself to shoot it righthanded and that extra few inches of draw made a world of difference in power, and conveniently made finding a bow easier when I got into archery. I'm still a jumbled mess of arbitrary left/right handedness, but at least I shoot everything righthanded now. My son is also a random mix but he is left eye dominant and shoots lefthanded.

OM41

Ruger Forum Member since 07
When needed I use a Wrist Rocket I have had for maybe 50 years now, with stronger thicker-walled surgical rubbers and a homemade leather pouch.

I remember dad making me a slingshot using a forked branch and him trying to find a natural rubber innertube for the rubber because it made superior bands

KIR

Single-Sixer
Does anyone enjoy shooting slingshots?

Do they make good targets?
What part of the slingshot do you shoot at? One of the arms? Or turn it upside down and shoot at the handle?
Since I am a good shooter, I would probably turn it sideways and shoot at it, that way.
:cool:;)

Latest posts