Does anyone enjoy shooting slingshots?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I used to be pretty good with a slingshot when I was a kid. We used thick rubber bands and a patch made out of a tire tube.

I wanted a sling shot that uses flat bands as opposed to round tubes. I found www.simple-shot.com and bought their Axiom Ocularis. I like the way the bands attach using the supplied plugs. It comes with bands for shooting 7/16" steel balls, but I wanted to shoot 3/8" balls so I ordered 6 of those. I ordered 1,000 3/8" steel balls and 1,000 1/2" clay balls that weigh just a little less than 3/8" steel.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PMSX9W9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

www.amazon.com/dp/B08SWQNRBH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

For a target I put up a 10" frying pan backwards with the shiny side towards me. That shiny circle measures 7 3/8". 95' was the measured range from my back deck. I have no desire to shoot at the standard slingshot range of 30'.

I shot about 20 of the steel balls and they sure put a dent and a loud CLANG when they hit. I decided I really didn't want the steel balls bouncing back into my yard where my mower could launch them at supersonic speeds thru my neighbor's car windshield. The clay balls are really hard, plus they decompose and would break if my mower hit them. Also, the steel balls were tearing up the small oak tree the pan was attached to.

About 3 weeks ago I started shooting, never more that 70 shots per session. I shot 10 shots per string and was hitting about 1 in 12 shots. It's all in how you pinch the ammo in the patch. Pinch too far forward and it rolls off your knuckle and either hits the fork or goes wild. I'm not aiming the slingshot; it's all instinctive. I get no pleasure in aiming down the upper band. Slowly I was hitting more often.

Last evening I was dialed in. I hit it 15 out of 50 shots. I figured I'd call it quits there but decided to shoot 2 more strings. I hit 8 out of 20 for a total of 23 out of 70. Not too bad for 95' 1 in 3. My goal? 50%.

I think I could do a little better with the extremely consistent and slightly heavier 3/8" steel balls. The mower thing doesn't sit well with me, and somehow I fell like I'm littering using steel balls.

Try it, you might like it :) Right now I'm having as much fun hitting that pan at 95' in my backyard as I do shooting a gun at the club. My neighbors on either side came out to watch. They could hear the clay balls hitting the pan from inside their homes LOL

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Used to do that when I was a kid. Don't remember that I was that accurate but seen a youtube deal where a guy was shooting stuff out of the air. A guy can get pretty good at that stuff.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Back when inner tubes were REAL rubber we lived along a RR track where they used pea gravel. Free projo's and bands from the tire shop trash made a 'sling shot' (they had a different name back then) easy to feed. Bringing in the recalcitrant milk cows was more fun with a pocket full of marble sized gravel and I got fairly proficient but then a Holstein is a big target. Fast forward 40 years and I was shooting a Wrist Rocket w/marbles and occasionally hitting Colorado picket pin gophers @ 20'--much more difficult.
No more such activities since my shoulder complains enough just lifting my coffee cup.

Ride1949

Buckeye
Pretty damn good for 95ft. I have one of the newer "wrist rocket" style. Haven't shot it for a while. I'm inspired now. Thanks Cholo.

Cholo

Staff member
Used to do that when I was a kid. Don't remember that I was that accurate but seen a youtube deal where a guy was shooting stuff out of the air. A guy can get pretty good at that stuff.
I believe that was The Slingshot Man.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

Pretty damn good for 95ft. I have one of the newer "wrist rocket" style. Haven't shot it for a while. I'm inspired now. Thanks Cholo.
I edited out of my OP how this whole thing started. I have a wrist rocket, but the yellow band was probably 30+ years old. You don't want to be snapped in the face when a band breaks! So, I bought a new band from Amazon and put it on. It was so stiff I knew I'd never like it. The old bands were much better but don't hold a candle to the high quality flat bands sold by www.simple-shot.com

Give it a try. The 1/2" clay PGN balls are all you need unless shooting at a dump or gun range. I know a 3/8" steel ball can kill a rabbit or squirrel at 33 yds, if not 50 yds---if you can hit it LOL

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like you are having a great time. Keep it up!

A good friend's dad,, (long passed away,) used to make homemade slingshots,, out of Dogwood forks he'd find. And he used old inner tube rubber. He worked for the railroad,, and he'd shoot his a lot while passing time between stops. He was VERY, VERY good. In fact,, if he was near a stop, and was able to find a rabbit or whatever,, it went home for supper.

Chief 101

Hunter
I've had a Wrist Rocket for 50 years, the surgical tubing is better today than before. The best shot I ever made was when protecting my Avacado tree from predators...two birds gnawing on the fruit took off in opposite direction when I grabbed 2 pieces of gravel from my driveway and shot quickly and the rocks flew i opposite directions and hit both of them....they did get up and limp around a bit before the flew away...don't think they returned...that was 50 years ago...

Cholo

Staff member
Chief, the surgical tubing I bought for my wrist rocket from Amazon sucked. I'm not saying all the tube bands sold now are that bad, just the one I bought.

Great shot, BTW :)

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have what is called a Daisy, from Walmart, which has surgical tube slings. I use it to rid us of deer who come to eat my wife's flowers. I use 00 buckshot. They are extremely put-out and fleet-footed when they get hit in the rump. Plus there is no noise to upset the neighbors.

Ride1949

Buckeye
I have what is called a Daisy, from Walmart, which has surgical tube slings. I use it to rid us of deer who come to eat my wife's flowers. I use 00 buckshot. They are extremely put-out and fleet-footed when they get hit in the rump. Plus there is no noise to upset the neighbors.
That's what I have too. A Daisy B52. I like the idea of the flat bands but I'm not sure if they'll work on it though.

Last edited:

Ride1949

Buckeye
I believe that was The Slingshot Man.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

I edited out of my OP how this whole thing started. I have a wrist rocket, but the yellow band was probably 30+ years old. You don't want to be snapped in the face when a band breaks! So, I bought a new band from Amazon and put it on. It was so stiff I knew I'd never like it. The old bands were much better but don't hold a candle to the high quality flat bands sold by www.simple-shot.com

Give it a try. The 1/2" clay PGN balls are all you need unless shooting at a dump or gun range. I know a 3/8" steel ball can kill a rabbit or squirrel at 33 yds, if not 50 yds---if you can hit it LOL
Thanks for the link. They have some interesting slingshots on there. I really like that plug attachment system. It looks solid and easy to use.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
In 1972 I worked at a fertilizer facility just up the RxR tracks from the turkey processing plant. Turkeys would escape the truck cages in which they were transported to the plant and became fair game when they left the plant's parking area. My Wrist Rocket accounted for several during winter months when it was cold enough hang them until quitting time. A headshot with a marble did it every time.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Those Wrist Rockets were pretty cool. Had one made by Whamo I think. Pretty potent.

Cholo: the only experience I have with sling shots are the wrist rocket style that everyone is mentioning.

I looked at the website you mentioned, they only sell the Y shaped sling shots. Are they just as good? Do you find yourself being able to adjust your aim better (or faster) with the Y shaped slingshot over the style with the wrist brace?

Is one style better than another?

Chief 101

Hunter
Chief, the surgical tubing I bought for my wrist rocket from Amazon sucked. I'm not saying all the tube bands sold now are that bad, just the one I bought.
Cholo, I found my bands at a medical supply and what I use are exercise bands which I am sure you could find in many sporting goods stores. These bands are fast and someday I will put them on the chrono. My ammo today is several items but mostly 'used lead pistol bullets' from the range.

JStacy

Blackhawk
https://www.slingshotcommunity.com/
Great site about sling shots worldwide. The flat bands are faster than the tubes because the air inside the tubes act as a buffer when they are released. The pure latex bands are faster than the exercise bands and tubes. If you use a wrist rocket type of frame het the red replacement tubes and they are tapered and faster than the yellow or black tubes. A good source of ammo is the dollar store with 5/8" glass marbles. You get 67 or so for a dollar and they fly true. I am fortunate enough to be friends with Bill Herriman , who lives in my home town. He is older now but still an excellent shot with a sling shot as well as his on designed frames. He was the national sling shot champion in 2004 & 2005 and he is still pretty impressive with a sling shot. Look up the community you will enjoy them and may take up sling shots again !!

Cholo

Staff member
Kevin, I just knew I didn't want to even try using my old wrist rocket that I'd just put a new band on. I couldn't even pull it 2/3 towards my ear it was so stiff. The patch is so big I believe it was made for golf balls.

I Googled flat band slingshots. Yikes! I did learn a thing or 2, one being the best type bands to use and it lead me to a YouTube video and the website I posted in the OP. The video answered a lot of my questions I didn't even know I had, yet LOL In that video, or another, he mentioned the Axiom Ocularis is a good beginner's slingshot. I'm pretty sure he owns Simple-Shot, and Fowler makes tons of videos. This is a really a good watch that helps get you started. It should answer your questions a lot better than I can.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuUrRvIvGYs

wv.citybilly, I have no doubt a 1/2" clay ball would kill a pigeon at 95'. They dent that frying pan. I didn't even want to try the 3/8" clay being they're so light.

JStacy, I might join that forum.

Like in Ron's link, the sky's the limit on what you can do and shoot with a slingshot.

My total investment to get me started:

1) Axiom Ocularis $35

2) Six 3/8" steel ball flat bands $30

3) 1,000 PGN 3/8" steel balls $21

4) 1,000 PGN 1/2" clay balls $19

Total: $105 plus tax and about $5 shipping on the slingshot and extra bands.

I would recommend buying 2 of the plugs that attach the bands to keep as extras.

PS: My initial band broke about the 900 mark. I believe that's really high and don't expect them to average that long.

Latest posts