Does anyone else question some of the claims on this forum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

john lee

Bearcat
Once again someone posts that they have shot over a million rounds through their 10.22, That would mean at least 20,000 boxes of .22 shells. I'm now old enough (63) to question what I read, even on this website. However with that said, I never shot a rabbit unless I could hit it in the eye at full run - both me and the rabbit.

Snake45

Hawkeye
john lee":2ci1tq80 said:
However with that said, I never shot a rabbit unless I could hit it in the eye at full run - both me and the rabbit.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A million rounds though a 10/22 is not outside the realm of possiblity or believability, but I'd want to see or hear some details or proof of some kind.

I've shot 25,000 rounds per year for the last three years (over 75K total, every round logged and accounted for in two separate sets of documents), and I can tell you that when I've posted those figures on three or four different gun boards, there aren't many people who post that they've shot more than that. I can think of three or four fellows but that's about it.

BTW, it takes a pretty dedicated effort to shoot 25K a year. It might be a lot easier for someone who can step outside his back door and blast off a hundred rounds or a few hundred every time the mood moves him, but for someone who has to pack up a bunch of stuff and drive to a formal range, in a climate where it's just too damn nasty to do so at least three to four months every year (or more), it's a pretty fair amount of work, I can tell you.

I'm hoping to do it again this year, and then, after I hit a documented 100K, I'm going to back off to maybe 10-15K a year from here on.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Got to thinking...no matter what is claimed, there's always someone else that will say they've done more. Factual or an ego thing...? Matters not to me. Just as with other things, quality over quantity. I could go and shoot aimlessly all day, just load shoot, load, shoot, load, shoot... (quantity) Big deal. :roll: OR, I could go and try and shoot well, shoot at a specific target and continually try and better the previous results. (quality)
I'll take the later any day. :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73":1zcutqvf said:
Just as with other things, quality over quantity. I could go and shoot aimlessly all day, just load shoot, load, shoot, load, shoot... (quantity) Big deal. :roll: OR, I could go and try and shoot well, shoot at a specific target and continually try and better the previous results. (quality)
I'll take the later any day. :)
If you're accusing me of just making noise, I can assure you that every round I've fired has been at a paper target, with the intention of hitting that target as close to center as possible. And I have the targets to prove it.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Nope wasn't referring to you or anyone spacifically. Just saying that quantity isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be. If one happens to take that to heart and as directed towards them, that's them not me.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Much of what I read here seems like good information, I certainly have learned a lot.

On the other hand, there are those who are still in the high school bench racing mentality. Every tale that's told gets taller. Don't believe me when I start talking about the 1" groups I get with my 2245 at 200 yards unsupported... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I think it mostly folks that simply feel the need to establish their "credentials" - that or armchair wanna-bees.

I go by the old adage "seein' is believin' " which is why I post (probably way too many) pictures.

OTOH: I'm past feeling the need to prove anything to any one.

:lol: :lol:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Old Judge Creek":26gqcoev said:
I think it mostly folks that simply feel the need to establish their "credentials" - that or armchair wanna-bees.

I go by the old adage "seein' is believin' " which is why I post (probably way too many) pictures.

OTOH: I'm past feeling the need to prove anything to any one.

I agree! However, we all know what establishes credentials and such on a forum is post count. :roll:

Yup, seein' is believin'.

"It's what I do."

I wuz just wondering how with 14 posts per day (compared to my paltry 9) you could find time to work for a living and still shoot 25,000 rounds per year.

;)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":1fb7nrd1 said:
"It's what I do."

I wuz just wondering how with 14 posts per day (compared to my paltry 9) you could find time to work for a living and still shoot 25,000 rounds per year.

;)
I shoot Saturday or Sunday mornings during nice weather (averaged 1100 rounds per session last year) and work 40 hours a week.

Doesn't take long to write a post. A minute, two minutes each? What's the big deal?

Snake45

Hawkeye
john lee":33xrrw86 said:
Once again someone posts that they have shot over a million rounds through their 10.22.
I just did some searching and couldn't find that post. What thread was it in?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I have noticed over the years that many shooters who cannot hit a cow in the tit with a tin cup assume no one else can do it either.
I LOVE taking the money of folks like that who like to bet on such things and in fourty-five years have NEVER lost such a bet, even when it was one hundred dollars per shot.
The last fellow on here that made such claims I told to check with the owner of this site, FLATGATE, as to whether I was pulling his leg on not. He did not, so I proceeded to take his money, the bet being "moving" [ his choice of words...] common tin cans at 250 yards with a 45COLT 7 1/2" pistol. IT WAS EASY !!!
PS: I forgot to mention that I am currently over 850,000 rounds of ammunition handloaded, by actual primer count, and own at least thirty 22 pistols that are are pushing or are over, 20,000 rounds a piece, and another dozen or two that are over 50,000 rounds fired. THIS IS NO BIG DEAL TO REAL SHOOTERS OF MY ACQUAINTANCE. I know men who have shot a hell of a lot more than me , but I've only been at it for 59 years now as we speak

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
It's never occured to me to question it. If someone says they shot a million rounds, it's ok with me. I'll take that to mean they've shot a lot, and not worry if it's an actual count or not.

CraigC

Hawkeye
A wise man said that the internet lends undue credibility to uneducated opinion and it's completely true. Unfortunately, now everybody has a voice and lots of people should just keep their mouths shut but that ain't gonna happen. I urge everybody to take everything they read with a grain of salt, no matter where it comes from. I'm no expert on anything and hope folks read what I post with equal skepticism.