Does anyboby ever shoot factory ammo in CAS/SASS????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I know that reloading is just about the only way to go for high volume shooters. However, I was wondering if there are any pards, out there, who actually shoot factory ammo in a CAS match.

If so, then what brand and grain weight....and how much is it costing you?

Also, are there any advantages to shooting any one paticular factory load, that may be only available, in a factory load offering?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Landric

Bearcat
I haven't shot a CAS/SASS match as of yet. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can. So, my comment is just guess work, but:

While I suspect that some folks do in fact shoot factory ammunition in CAS, I can't see how there would be a specific advantage to doing so. There is plenty of factory ammunition marketed for CAS that uses lead bullets at low velocities. I can't see how it would be difficult for a handloader to duplicate any of them, at a much lower cost. We are not talking about ammunition with bullets that are unavailable to the general public as components or super heavy charges using powder not for sale on the retail market.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I'm just asking more of a generalized question about the use of factory ammo in CAS. I was wondering if anybody used it and if so then what would some of the reasons be, for doing so (no matter what those reasons may be).

slippingaway

Blackhawk
There must be plenty of them considering the fact that makers are marketing and selling a lot of ammunition labeled cowboy action. Magtech makes some very nice 45colt cowboy loads.

I'm sure the biggest reason for some folks not reloading is that they just don't have the time/space/desire to reload. Everyone values their time, and the time/space/energy costs differently.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
The snarky answer is "Yes, all them with more money than good sense."

The fact is I know a lot of guys who shoot nothing but store-bought stuff. IMO: They sure spend a lot of money on ammo they could put to better use though. And "the dog ate my homework" and/or "I was drivin' along and the tree just jumped in front of my car" won't hold a candle to the excuses why they don't/won't reload.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Old Judge Creek,

I think people have a fear of reloading like I have a fear of golf. I'm not a golfer. However, I live on a golf course. The greens call my name all the time but I refuse to answer back. Why, you might ask? Because the moment I start golfing I'll be hooked forever on out. I'll have a $4,000 golf cart, a closet full of new clothes, new clubs every season and green fees out the ying-yang. In other words, cha-ching.....cha-ching....cha-ching.

But if I only golf when I'm on vacation then I forget about it by the time I get back home. Some guys see reloading in a similar light.

My dad has been shooting 45 colt's for years, now. He retired last year and started to reload for the first time. Soon after he started reloading I started shooting the 45's too. It would be dumb for me not to. Everytime I turn around he's got a new load worked up for us to try. I'm glad to have such a great father.

When in stock Ten X and Black Hills are big sellers.
Ten years ago I knew if I was going to shoot 44 and 45 cal. I was going to have to reload. That stuff was expensive. Look at it now. The only ammo i've bought in the last 7-8 years is 32 auto and 380.
Now to get the primer and powder prolem under control!!!
I enjoy reloading.
Eric

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I was just talking about this topic with somebody and they were saying that you can get a deal on factory ammo if you are a club and you buy a fat-stack of it in bulk. This really got my wheels turning. I've got some new questions, now.

1. How much ammo would a group need to by to make it worth the effort?

2. What kind of a cost-per-round figure would we be looking at here?

3. What constitutes a club? Just a group of guys? Guys like us here on this forum, perhaps?

I have been told that if you buy a "massive bulk" of ammo, shoot it, and then resell the once-shot-brass then you end up doing all of your shooting at fairly reasonable cost level as compared to paying retail.

Remember for a second, we are not comparing bulk buying to reloading. I'm looking at this from the perspective of a guy who doesn't reload (even though I do reload). I am just curious about the numbers. The comparison is: How much of a deal can REALISTICALY be obtained with a bulk purchase as compared to paying retail costs? There may be times when a guy doesn't have the time to reload, but would still like to buy enough ammo for a match or a weekend of practice, without being gouged with the high cost of paying retail.

I would have to see the discounted cost before I could crunch any numbers. Maybe then I would know if the "bulk buy" was even worth fooling around with or not.

Somebody out there has got to have some numbers behind these "bulk buying" rumors.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I shoot a lot of cowboy, and I have a lot of friends who do too. That's the way it is with Cowboy Shooters, we tend to hang out together and become good friends, even though we only know each others aliases and don't know real names.

I'm racking my brain right now and I can't think of anybody who is a regular cowboy shooter, and shoots a lot of matches a year, who does not reload. Or of they don't reload, they have a pal who reloads for them. When I am at the loading table, just about the only time I see somebody show up with factory ammo they are either a newbie, or an infrequent shooter. Ya just cannot afford to shoot cowboy very often with the high price of ammo these days. As for who is buying all that cowboy ammo you see on the shelves, it ain't regular cowboy shooters, I can tell you that. It is usually guys who just bought a Ruger or a Uberti or something, and want to fool around a little bit with it at the range. It ain't regular cowboy shooters buying that stuff, it is just too expensive. I have heard a lot of conversations over the years at gun shops, and whenever somebody is buying cowboy ammo, I don't know him. And I do know most of the regular cowboy shooters in these parts.

I shoot 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, and 44-40 in CAS. When I started about ten years ago I realized right away that I was going to have to reload if I wanted to shoot without winding up in the poorhouse. And that was ten years ago, before the present skyhigh prices of ammo. Just for comparison, back then a box of 45 Colt cost between $18.50 and $22.00 for a box of 50. Your typical cowboy match may consist of 6 to 8 stages, with 10 pistol rounds, 10 rifle rounds, and maybe 4 shotgun rounds at every stage. You do the math. How often can anybody afford to shoot with today's prices, which are much higher than what I just quoted? I just did a quick check at Midway and 45 Colt is going for between $32.50 and $37.00 today for a box of 50. I had to check because I ain't bought any cowboy ammo in years. So say $35 a box of 50 for 45 Colt. Say you shoot 45 Colt in both your rifle and your pistols. A 6 stage match is going to require 120 rounds of ammo for your rifle and pistol. That's about 2 1/2 boxes at $35 a box. Add to that gas money, the entrance fee, and lunch, and that's why everybody I know reloads.

A few years ago Mrs Johnson decided to start shooting Cowboy with me. I bought her a pair of 357/38 New Vaqueros and a Marlin in the same caliber. My plan was to buy cheap 38 reloads for her, at around $5 per box of 50, as I did not reload 38s at that time. At that time I could still find cheap 38 reloads at gunshows for $5/box. Well, guess what, the supply of $5 boxes of 38s reloads dissappeared. So now I reload 38 Sp too, not just for her cowboy ammo, but also for my considerable collection of S&W 38s.

Like I say, if you are going to be serious about shooting cowboy, you had better either start reloading, or find a pal who does.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I was just talking about this topic with somebody and they were saying that you can get a deal on factory ammo if you are a club and you buy a fat-stack of it in bulk. This really got my wheels turning. I've got some new questions, now.

Ask him to tell you exactly what club did that. I keep hearing this myth. It does not happen.

As an example, on the SASS Wire the other day, somebody suggested that a good source of shot for reloading shot shells is your local trap and skeet club. This guy seemed to think that trap and skeet clubs regularly buy shot in great quantities and always have some on hand to sell to the public. Well, I shoot a lot of trap in another life, and yes, my club did just go in on a buy with another club. But all the powder, wads, primers, and shot was spoken for, there was not any available for the public.

If you want to know numbers, I think altogether we bought around $9,000 of shotgun components. I can find out the real number if you want to know. But like I said, I am not aware of ANY CAS clubs that get group buys together.