Doctor's appointment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, routine physical. Instructions that I have nothing to eat after midnight. Now my routine is to go to bed after the 10:00 o'clock news, so I'm usually asleep by 11:00 p.m. or so. But, having been told not to eat after midnight, makes me want to get up around 1:00 a.m. and eat something.

Nita and I were talking once and I recalled that Jesus, after healing someone, told them told them to "...see that thou tell no man." And I wondered why He told them that.

Nita's quick response? Jesus knew that the surest way to get a man to do something was to tell him not to do it.

Bob Wright

The nothing to eat after midnight is so when they take blood to check your blood sugar level it is considered a "fasting" blood sugar level that they see. If the fasting blood sugar level is too high, that means there might be something wrong. Diabetics (I am one) can tell you all about what your sugar levels do when you eat certain things, what the level might be during certain times of the day, and many times what you will be feeling if your blood sugar gets too low (I can tell you it's not fun and you HAVE to take care of it very quickly).

eveled

Hunter
My Dr has me give blood the week before. So we can talk about the results. Yours doesn’t do your lab work before hand?

turd

Blackhawk
My Dr has me give blood the week before. So we can talk about the results. Yours doesn’t do your lab work before hand?
Mine doesn't either. Go in, routine visit, say if you have issues, then go do the blood work. That way if he sees or hears something out of the ordinary he can request specific blood test for the issue. Then sends me a copy of the report with comments, or, if need be another appt.

KIR

Single-Sixer
QUACK, QUACK, QUACK. They still don't know the answers to all problems. Any quack usually goes by whatever symptoms you tell him you have. He then does his best guess diagnosis. I once asked my doctor why there wasn't a program/app that contains all symptoms that could be checked off by someone not feeling well and a list of possible problems could pop-up. He kinda put me off. Probably afraid of losing his job, but real life is not advanced as Dr. Leonard McCoy's tricorder yet.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Sadly ever since they let doctors and pharmaceutical companies advertise people now try to tell doctors what disease they have and what drugs thet want. But the same folks still want doctors held responsible for misdiagnosis.

It’s gotten to the point doctors expect to be told. I much prefer a good olt time doctor that listens, pokes and prods the. Waits for test results before diagnosing an issue.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I made a quick trip to Dr office a couple weeks back. Thought I had an ear infection or that constant use of phone ear bud was causing problems. Neither of those but my fairly specific description of symptoms put Dr. on the right track and fixed the problem. My Dr knows if I'm in the office, it's something truly bothersome. Two months back, I had to get checked over to renew my prescriptions and there was concern over my rather significant weight loss. I told him I'd been sick for 1 1/2 months with CV19 and he asked why I didn't come in. I just shrugged and asked if he could have actually done anything to change the outcome. He shrugged and said "No". On to the next subject.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
QUACK, QUACK, QUACK. They still don't know the answers to all problems. Any quack usually goes by whatever symptoms you tell him you have. He then does his best guess diagnosis. I once asked my doctor why there wasn't a program/app that contains all symptoms that could be checked off by someone not feeling well and a list of possible problems could pop-up. He kinda put me off. Probably afraid of losing his job, but real life is not advanced as Dr. Leonard McCoy's tricorder yet.

KIR, your cynicism breaks my heart, and wish I could share the joy I have with you.

But my primary care doctor detected something wrong, referred me to a urological clinic. Prostrate cancer was detected and early treatment has held that at bay, now some six or seven years cancer free. I do resent your inference that all doctors are quacks. Mine has kept me in good shape and running well for many years.

Bob Wright

KIR

Single-Sixer
KIR, your cynicism breaks my heart, and wish I could share the joy I have with you.

But my primary care doctor detected something wrong, referred me to a urological clinic. Prostrate cancer was detected and early treatment has held that at bay, now some six or seven years cancer free. I do resent your inference that all doctors are quacks. Mine has kept me in good shape and running well for many years.

Bob Wright
There are exceptions to every rule and I am glad your doc found your prob. Hate to see anyone suffer from any malady. Good look to you and I hope you have a long, healthy life ahead of you. Stay safe my friend.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
There are exceptions to every rule and I am glad your doc found your prob. Hate to see anyone suffer from any malady. Good look to you and I hope you have a long, healthy life ahead of you. Stay safe my friend.

As t a long healthy life ahead of me, I'm in the twilight years of my life, maybe ten or fifteen at most.

Bob Wright

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I picture myself as a worn out robot just dragging itself along shedding parts and leaking fluids but still stepping up to whatever task is assigned.
I managed to get 8 hours of sleep last night and woke up w/o much pain. I've just finished my high sugar/carb breakfast and 3rd cup of coffee. After an hour of chores, I'll grab my backpack, get in my work vehicle, and set out for a 250 mile/8 hour day with possibly a couple hours in 90*+ temps pulling a field sample. Some day I won't make it home but I'm fairly confident today's not the day.
Doctors saved my life once upon a time. I've made their efforts very worthwhile.

Newtire

Bearcat
I feel like living until my next gun shows up at my FFL and a successful range trip after is a fitting way to spend my last day. Now, if I can only make it until I can cast up a batch of bullets from the lead I salvaged from the berm and just one more range trip...

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Sadly ever since they let doctors and pharmaceutical companies advertise people now try to tell doctors what disease they have and what drugs thet want. But the same folks still want doctors held responsible for misdiagnosis.

It’s gotten to the point doctors expect to be told. I much prefer a good olt time doctor that listens, pokes and prods the. Waits for test results before diagnosing an issue.
The people SHOULD be making these decisions for THEIR SELF. Doctors and nurses are JUST ADVISORS. They don't OWN you. You have to live with and pay for THEIR decisions.

eveled

Hunter
None of them know everything. You have to make decisions based on what they tell you and your own research. You have to advocate for yourself.

You are the one who has to live with the decisions made, make you are the one making the decisions.

Last edited:

Newtire

Bearcat
None of them know everything. You have to make decisions based on what they tell you and your own research. You have to advocate for yourself.

You are the one who has to live with the decisions made, make you are the one making the decisions.
Many people still believe you are bound by the doctor's decision. I remember thinking that way myself. Same thing with nurses. One time in the hospital I asked a different nurse than the one I usually had came in. I was having a hard time with the usual nurse so I asked this new one what I could do about my "Nurse Ratchet". She said I could always talk to the floor nurse. Turns out she herself was the "floor nurse ". No more Nurse Ratchet! You just have to speak up.

Latest posts