Do you routinely carry more than one gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Reminds me of the saying, " the only reason to carry a pistol is so you can fight your way back to your rifle."

carrying is no different than just about most things in life... it will always be a compromise.
Especially handguns. It depends on how much risk going to certain places put me in. If I go to large cities, two guns, both 9mm with an extra mag each at least. Rurally I carry a revolver of substantial caliber. I rarely leave a gun in my vehicle. Too many are stolen that way. If I must leave them behind, I have a safe they go in. The safe is attached to the frame. Good luck to us all.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Interestingly, NM's concealed carry statute prohibits carrying more than one permitted firearm concealed. I have no idea why or whether anyone has every been prosecuted (I suspect not).

When traveling or in a situation where assistance is likely to be unavailable, I almost always have a long gun available in addition to a handgun.
Perhaps I should start a new thread, but…does anyone have a handy resource listing all states that prohibit carrying more than 1?

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
Primary carry gun and atleast one bug usually this one
16744016593855064593777520939087.jpg
in my pocket in it's holster 16744016593855064593777520939087.jpg

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Remember the July 1993 Guns and Ammo magazine article of John Bianchi wearing about 20 guns at the same time ? He did a good job of hiding them. I sometimes carry a semi auto in a shoulder holster and a revolver in my inside coat pocket at the same time. I have heard that called a Texas reload.

INLINECHEVY6.

RSIno1

Hunter
This new acquaintance then proudly told me that he loved guns, and always carried at least two,"just in case". I remarked about the "at least two" statement, and he then showed he the three guns he had on him that moment. He had a Glock 19 on his belt, an LCP in a pocket holster, and a snubbie on his ankle, and added he carried an extra mag for each of the semi's. I laughed and said I'm amazed that his pants stay up. I'll admit I felt almost unarmed with just my LC9s in my pocket, almost.
Since you're in IL I'll assume that's the typical Chicago load out.

I carry by neighborhood. Local S&W 642 slipped in my pocket - Big city Glock 19 9mm std 15 rnd mag - Ghetto Glock 30 45ACP 2 10 rnd mags.

RSIno1

Hunter
How many LEO's have died wishing for a BUG? Read the "Onion Field".
I had a old LAPD cop teaching Police Science in college. He said he never approached a car without having a gun ready. It was a 25 Beretta concealed under his ticket book. He figured it would be good for the opening shot. At that time LAPD (and LASD) was under armed with .38 only - probably due to the expense of buying everyone new guns. Most of the rest of the PDs in SoCal had upgraded to .357 and Compton PD in that time period said the cops could carry what the wanted so most chose 1911s.

Having a slight lapse, but here goes.

RSI, where did yo take police science? In the late 60's, early 70's Harbor Junior College had those classes. One of the instructors was a Range/Marksmanship officer at the local police pistol range.

He grew up with my dad. Now the lapse. His first name was Johnny. I can't remember his last name. Any chance he was your instructor?

At that time John Pride was probably the best known shooter in LAPD. I watched Johnny out shoot him several times.

Now I'll brag a bit Johnny and John taught me to effectively and accurately shoot handguns. A couple of years later it came in handy.

Regarding post #53, Why was LAPD armed with .38 spl revolvers when many others up graded to .357. This is from the words of a long-standing LAPD chief. I can't remember his name or year he said it. "If my officers get disarmed and shot with their service gun, I want them to have a chance to survive the attack". At the time the ammo was a 158 gr lead bullet. That may not be word for word his statement, but close enough for everyone to get his point. I believe I read it in an interview he gave to Police News, a monthly magazine that I subscribed to for many years. I used it while firearms training to new cops when I discussed calibers and ammo.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
I don't normally carry a New York Reload as Massad Ayoob called it. I know that Jim Cirillo himself was known to carry two S&W Model 10s. I might when I get my SP101... just really haven't felt the need all these years.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I seem to remember Jeff Cooper saying one time (maybe at one of his matches=(Yes, I AM that old!) that the purpose of a handgun was to allow you to get to your rifle/shotgun. My XO (Army Ranger, 3 tours in the 'Nam, battlefield commission to Lieut.) said the purpose of a handgun was to allow you to get away! (He also said Army hand-to-hand training was to learn how to survive bar fights in Saigon!)

Last edited: