Do you routinely carry more than one gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

volshooter

Buckeye
Hell yes. Always my EDC and a .380 in my back pocket. Yeah I carry 2 pocket knives. One is for work and one is for varmints,
I'd rather have a .380 in my back pocket than a wallet. Thats on the other side. Prefer to be prepared than unarmed.

wxl1

Bearcat
Usually a 380 pocket carry and when I feel a IWB is more appropriate I carry a Sig 224 either in 40 or 357Sig. Often do not bother to take off the pocket carry.

anjlinastone

Bearcat
I think that more than one gun is not good choice. This is extra weight to carry 2 gun. So, I try to have one gun at a time :)

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
50 some years ago in Vietnam, I carried an M16 and a 1911. Grouse hunting, I carry a 20 gauge 870 and a Colt trooper .357. Other than that, I don't anticipate encountering a hostile platoon, so I guess one will do the job.
It was common to have one sidearm on a patrol in 173rd ABN LRRP in case someone had a critical weapon failure. This did happen.

toysoldier

Hunter
A pocket auto on my person, and a Ruger Service-six and reloads in a quickly-accessed safe in my truck, loaded with 158-grain solids. Just in case I end up in a bad scenario on the road and need to shoot through something.

whymhot

Bearcat
Typically when i am travelling, I have to carry a shotgun and one semi pistol.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
A rifle/shotgun and a pistol when hunting.

My Army XO (Airborne Ranger, battlefield commission, and 3 tours in 'Nam) said "By the time 7 shots are fired, someone will be dead, if you know what you are doing!"

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer

My Army XO (Airborne Ranger, battlefield commission, and 3 tours in 'Nam) said "By the time 7 shots are fired, someone will be dead, if you know what you are doing!"
Absolutely. I was involved in three CQC (3-10 m) as a LRRP. People were dead in first 1-2 seconds. Two engagements lasted longer since there a lot more folks involved in two of the events.5 of us, too many of them.

Our job was to be stealthy and get information, and not engage. But we were not always successful in being stealthy. As one well known team leader said, "if you get a medal, you should get an accompanying Article 15 and a bust in rank for gross negligence and incompetence."

Carrying extra ordnance compromised movement.

Carrying additional firearms that differ in handling/feel means possible misadjustment of weapon in engagement that could cost critical time. If you plan to change carry weapon, than best do several hundred presentations and dry fires before transition.

I did IPSC and IDPA for several years at a reasonable level. Kids got to be over 4 and I had better and more enjoyable things to do on weekends

Last edited:

whymhot

Bearcat

Do you shoot Sass ?

KIR

Sparks, NV
Carried an M2 .30 cal. carbine and a 1911 .45 for four years. Only one these days, but say...
does a multi-barrel shotgun count as two? How about a Gatling Gun?

BarryinIN

Bearcat
I do, for several reasons.

-Access.
I haven't found a holster/carry location that I can always easily access a gun from. If it's easy to get at when standing/walking, it's hard to get when sitting. Likewise, the best holster I've found for sitting or driving is terrible when standing up.
I can give more examples, but the point is, every location/holster has situations when it's not very good at all. By having more than one gun, I hope to be able to access ONE in a reasonable time.

I think if most people paid close attention over the course of any given day, they would find plenty of times when their chosen carry method doesn't work well.

-Guns fail.
I am sure most people carry a gun they trust, but they are still mechanical devices. While I trust some more than others, I don't feel any are 100% failure proof.
I made my living maintaining big airplanes. They have double, triple, and quad redundant systems with heavily tested, over-engineered parts. I still had plenty to do every night.

Things break or otherwise fail. That's all there is to it.

-Loss of use of one hand or arm.
If I need a gun, the chances of me being injured by the time I need it are pretty good. Some injuries would make it awful hard to operate some guns. The most common examples are hand/wrist/arm injuries leading to semiauto malfunctions, but there are many others. It wouldn't take a huge arm/hand injury in the scheme of things to prevent me from drawing the gun at all. Or even reaching it.
And it might not take much of an injury. If you've ever had even a small back injury you know how much that can limit your movement.

Another gun in another place might be the only one you can use. Or get a hand to.

Those are the main reasons, but there are many lesser ones.
I don't see why carrying another isn't worth the effort.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
I know of one instance where multiple fallback to sidearms occurred. Team 3 of 173rd ABN BDE LRRP in Feb 1967 ambushed two NVA who may have just been sent down trail as decoys.

The team of six members was immediately engaged on two sides and nearly enveloped. A running gunfight ensued that lasted 20 minutes. Everyone on team but one had rounds go through gear or clothing. The accompanying LT (our new Operations Officer who had just finished a very successful six months as platoon leader with 4/503rd PIR) took two 7.62x25 mm through chest). The ATL engaged an NVA at very close range but both weapons jammed. He carried a snub noses.38 in shirt pocket and dropped the NVA. The TL heard the firing and finished the NVA. The ATL recovered the SKS and ammo and continued fight. He still has SKS. Another M16 took round through buffer and RTO gave his M16 to this guy and pulled out his .45. The point carried an M79 with buckshot but was now too close to NVA for M79 to arm. He engaged with .45 and Mk26. The LT received DSC, three received SS, and two received BSMV. Three of them got together with the helicopter pilot?who retrieved them two months ago. Pilot also received a n SS.

Everyone was down to last magazine. It became SOP to carry an extra bandolier in pack.

My ATL and I were with RTO when he unpacked PRC25. One round had gone through PRC 25 without damage.

gasbag

Blackhawk
Yes I do.
This is me on the way to the grocery store.

many guns.jpg

Yes I do.
This is me on the way to the grocery store...

Can't be too safe!

I talked to a guy years ago, who carried two handguns IWB, one on each side in back. He said he did that because he had injured his spine in a motorcycle wreck, and having two guns instead of one helped him sit straight, so his back felt better when he was driving!
:)