Do you know where your towel is ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is an allegory, in case anyone is confused. :wink: In the context of a firearms forum, the term "towel" should be understood as an essential accessory to survival. :mrgreen:

"A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough."

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
While I really enjoyed the book, I found Stephen Fry's reading of it on an audio book quite enjoy able. I always knew you just couldn't trust dolphins to have you back.

RKB

Single-Sixer
Blume357 -
You are missing one - there are five books in the 'Hitchhiker' Trilogy.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
RKB said:
Blume357 -
You are missing one - there are five books in the 'Hitchhiker' Trilogy.

DON'T PANIC!

(I've read all 27 books of the DUNE trilogy, too.)

:wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

I don't know about that. Might be getting close to panic time, given all the Vogons running for various elected offices this next year. :shock:

Mike J

Hunter
It has been a long time since I read those books. Now I'm wondering if I missed something. I remember The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Life The Universe & Everything, & So Long And Thanks For The Fish. Y'all said five was there another book.

FWIW Douglas Addams also wrote another book called, "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" that I remember thinking was hilarious but I lent it out & never got it back years ago.

stevemb

Hunter
My 5" Cold Steel Voyager is in its usual place, after that, have no idea what most of the above people are talking about.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
My 5" Cold Steel Voyager is in its usual place, after that, have no idea what most of the above people are talking about.

Besides being immensely entertaining, many people find a great deal of political and bureaucratic satire in the series.

One example of this, are the Vogons. Vogons are described as “one of the most unpleasant races in the galaxy—not actually evil, but bad-tempered, bureaucratic, officious and callous", and having "as much sex appeal as a road accident" as well as being the authors of "the third worst poetry in the universe". They are employed as the galactic government's bureaucrats. They aren't really smart, they just run everything. Also, they are very poor shots.

wwb

Hunter
stevemb said:

The book was originally a radio series on BBC, made into a television serial in the early 80s, and shown on PBS here in the US. For the short version of the entire series, check here - they give an extremely condensed version of each episode of the TV series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_%28TV_series%29

RKB

Single-Sixer
Mike J said:
It has been a long time since I read those books. Now I'm wondering if I missed something. I remember The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Life The Universe & Everything, & So Long And Thanks For The Fish. Y'all said five was there another book.

FWIW Douglas Addams also wrote another book called, "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" that I remember thinking was hilarious but I lent it out & never got it back years ago.

The fifth book is titled "Mostly Harmless".