Do you have these where you live?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Wife and I have been enjoying driving through the country near our home and stopping at Self Serve fresh vegetable stands. Total honor system - nobody is there- the prices are posted, you pick out what you want, and put the money in a cash box. One of them even leaves the cash box unlocked in case you need change. Just had some of the best sweet corn…..mmmmm!

Was thinking about the different "cultures" that exist in our country, and how in many of them this would not be possible. So, do you guys have something like that in your neck of the woods?

Jim Puke

Hunter
There is a guy down the road from me, that sells his syrup and honey like that...been doing it for years. Never heard of him being ripped off.

hittman

Staff member
Yep, pretty common around here. See them more out in the "country" but there's also 1 or 2 right here in our town of about 40,000.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Folks down the street had such a stand until about a year ago. It's down this year: since they had pretty much just a backyard garden, it's quite possibly the victim of water restrictions. And I believe there's still a serve yourself stand in one of our last remaining orange groves. That particular property has been in the same family's hands since 1886, which must be some kind of a record for SoCal!

Rick C

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Not sure if there are any the self-serve vegetable and fruit stands around here, but there are a few night crawler (fishin' worm) dealers that sell that way. :D

SAJohn

Hunter
With our family Pistachio business, in over 30 years, we never had a check bounce and we often shipped an order with the bill included with no prior deposit.

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
No trust where I live, but I feel like I live where you guys live, when I am on this Ruger forum! All the folks here are great! Thank you!---bedrockfred

GuyPike

Bearcat
We,have one stand in my town. It gets ripped off constantly. I've,watched people with million dollar plus lakefront homes just take what they want. they deny it every time.

wunbe

Buckeye
Many moons ago I went for training to a remote site that had an open evenings, honor system bar -- pay as you go. I later checked with the manager who totaled things up and he said that not only was the bar never short but that there usually was an over payment for each evening. The clientele were not your usual off the street sample of humanity but a mess of hard core, old school, cold warriors working on a common mission. The kind of guys you want at your back in a tight.

wunbe

gunsmith11

Bearcat
Several years ago, there was a tavern in Ingram, Tx, Miss Kitties, most afternoons she needed a nap and just told anyone there to help themselves and leave the money on the counter.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
We have them here, in the garden spot of the "Garden State". Local newspaper did an article on local road stands using the honor system, and found folks to be overwhelmingly honest. Nice to know.

contender

Ruger Guru
We have one of these things locally. It's run by a bunch of tree-hugging liberals, all organic, and the quality is not too good. I stopped by once & decided it wasn't worth my time. Took nothing & left nothing.

dougader

Hunter
I've seen a couple dairy farms who sell milk like this, and some farms who sell fresh eggs in the same fashion.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I haven't seen that here, still learning my way around. In Alaska there was a place we used to stop for firewood and they charged by the armfull. And yes you could make your own change. I liked it and it was handy. We got to the point we depended on it.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
That's how I buy my pumpkins each year. Also has some nice long neck gourds. Local guy with a box on a table. I've been going there for years and never met him/her in person.