Do you do mental exercises?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I sometimes have trouble remembering a name and have used the following "tool" to help me recall it. I recite the alphabet to myself, thinking of names that start with "A", then with "B", and so one, and often that will trigger the correct name when I reach the first letter of that name. Sometimes I surprise myself with how effective this method actual is.

FWIW, some degree of forgetfullness is a normal part of aging. For me it is not unusual to try to remember something like the name of a movie that I am thinking of, and coming up blank, and then minutes, hours or sometimes days later it suddenly pops into my mind. I know that the forgetfullness of dementia, like Alzheimer's Disease involves forgetting information which is then lost forever. If the information is still there, and comes back to you later, it is not dementia but normal forgetfullness.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I like to play "7 Little Words" on my iPad. If you've never played it, it gives
you 7 clues to 7 words and you fill in the blanks. Makes you think.
I also read, alot. My 65" TV is wasted as it's very seldom ever used. The
TV in my mind is much better.
Dano

gnappi

Blackhawk
Many years ago I took a Dale Carneggie course with some 50 others. The instructor said by the time the lengthy course was done everyone in the room would remember everyone in the class by first name.

I said "wanna bet?"

He said he would bet me but asked why even before the class material was started I could defy the goals of the course. I told him (paraphrased) "Everyone has in their brain a little part that cares about such things, my brain says "I don't give a S@#T about names" and the class roared, I won the bet of $10.

I do several crosswords daily. Also do Wordle and Connections puzzles. My mother got me hooked on word puzzles many years ago. I must have done thousands of crosswords.

Lots of people say crossword puzzles. About a year ago I found a reverse crossword puzzle book.

It gives you the answers (words) and you have to figure out how the fit together into the puzzle. They give one or two words as clues to get started.

The basic puzzles are somewhat easy, but they do get difficult. I try to do one a day.

Lots of people say crossword puzzles. About a year ago I found a reverse crossword puzzle book.

It gives you the answers (words) and you have to figure out how the fit together into the puzzle. They give one or two words as clues to get started.

The basic puzzles are somewhat easy, but they do get difficult. I try to do one a day.
I've done those before, they can be a royal PITA :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if you'd call it mental exercise- but I'm always fixing or building something, researching something, etc. I think I have the same problem a lot of folks have- especially like with names as was mentioned above. I can remember dates/serial numbers/ load data/torque values and a ton of other stuff- as long as I find it interesting.

But we are all different. I can tell my wife "Don't use the passenger side window in your Jeep- I have to replace the regulator. If you use it then it won't go back up." The very next day… "Honey, why won't the passenger window go back up?" But on the other side of the coin, I can go into town to the gun store- she will ask me to get some milk or something- and I will get back home without the least recollection of what she asked for.

My MIL was a big fan of jigsaw puzzles and word games. Didn't help her a bit as she went looney toons regardless.
I've noticed a bit of regression after retiring and not having a heaping load of manure to keep organized in my brain. Consolation is: I haven't died of a heart attack as was a possible outcome due to the stress of dealing with that load of manure daily.

instructor

Single-Sixer
At the age of 81 do have some memory issues but have found a technique that works for me is to simply say "shift your mind back to neutral" and rethink what I was trying to remember, and it usually works for me, just a suggestion for others to try it out. My mother (bless her soul) died from Alzheimer's disease as well as my wife's mother and it was explained to me by various Doctors that with the disease the body and its normal functions simply shut down and death follows. Have been seeing articles that a drug has been brought forth that is supposedly a semi cure for the disease, but "father time" will have its way with all living creatures.