Do I want a single six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hi Guys,
I have 3 mark-II's that I love and enjoy shooting. They are very easy to maintain and serve as warm-up guns during shooting.

In the last year I've been wondering whether I would enjoy shooting the single-six, but have held back for fear that it would be more maintenance than my MK-II's.

Have a few questions for you single-six owners:

1. Assuming normal usage, how common is it to accidentally peen the cylinder from the firing pin (assuming that I don't fan or dry fire the gun without empty casings)?

2. Do the cylinders tend to foul up after a few rounds, making insertion and extraction of rounds difficult?

What is your overall experience of this firearms compared to the MK-II's?

I'd appreciate you comments regarding this firearm. Thanks in advance!

paul s

Bearcat
Indistructable! I have had one since I was 14 (now 46) it was my first handgun, put a 100,000+ rnds thru it and dry fired 10X that including "fanning" shoots as good as new! Get one!

actionflies

Bearcat
.22 are fun to shoot and I usually go through half a brick per session. I usually load 4 mags at a time for my MKIII. The problem with .22 for me is that I tend to shoot it pretty fast and end up loading more than shooting is the reason why I load 4 mags at a time with a speed loader. This is the reason why I don't want a single six revolver because going through 6 rounds won't take long and a lot longer to reload.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
If the object is to maximize accuracy using good bullseye shooting technique, perhaps reddot or scope them for serious hunting/target use, then the MKIIs will deliver the goods better than a Single-Six. (although I use my SS in the woods with a lot of success and have a great time doing it.)

If the object is to destroy as much 22LR ammo as fast as you can loading up multi mags and seeing how quickly you can send it in the general direction of downrange, the MKII definately dominates.

If the object is to have a fun day (or thousands) taking the time to enjoy the simple act of loading, unloading, cocking and aiming an extremely well built handgun that is capable of very fine accuracy with many types of ammo, and is virtually never finicky about feeding, extracting or firing any of it, that you and nearly everyone you take out or teach to use it will enjoy immensely, and you will likely never have to worry about it breaking or being difficult to reassemble once you take it down for simple cleaning and easy maintenance (it is easy to remove and clean the cylinder's charge holes and it is built to dry fire without damage according to Ruger), plus it just reeks of old west coolness, AND can handle 22 Mags if you want a little more oomph, then a Single-Six may be for you.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Do you have any interest in owning a .22 revolver? If so, there isn't a much better, affordable choice.

The comment above about the objective is a good one, too. If your idea of a great 30 seconds of fun is using a 50 round mag with a 10/22, a single action revolver may not provide you with the same thrill. Not that there's anything wrong with liking the 50 round mag, mind you...

-- Sam

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
G. Freeman":3p0h401z said:
1. Assuming normal usage, how common is it to accidentally peen the cylinder from the firing pin (assuming that I don't fan or dry fire the gun without empty casings)?

2. Do the cylinders tend to foul up after a few rounds, making insertion and extraction of rounds difficult?

1) The only way the firing pin would peen the cylinder is if it's misaligned. I've never seen it personally. I have seen a picture of one once.
2) No, it takes quite a few rounds to do that.

It is more reliable than a Mk II and fun in a different way. Mark II's are great guns though.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
You need to ask yourself If you want a single action .22. None of the possable negative points are issues, and power level, or bullet shape will never cause malfunctions.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
The answer is, Yes, you do need a Single Six to go with the MKIIs. Just aint right for a Ruger owner not to have one :)

Picture583.jpg

americal

Hunter
Shot over 200,000 federals thru seral # 388892 9.5 inch barrel Ruger s.s. no problem ever- except when I missed target :) at one time shooting about 4 boxes of federal 550 a week for ptsd therpy under treatment by va doctors most enjoyable treatment I have ever had :!: :!: Still shooting it but not as much --use Charger now 8) hand problems :(

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
contender":2bm906wd said:
I thought everyone here owned at least 1 Ruger Single-Six!

:lol: Ain't that the trooth! :lol:

I have 2... plus a Bearcat, plus a MK II slabside, plus, plus, plus...

I agree with a previous poster that the Single Six is about the most perfect 22 revolver... ah, strike that: make it most perfect all purpose 22 handgun ever made. Ya can't wear'em out and I've personally never seen one break nor have I a friend that can say the same.

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
As a matter of fact I just bought another one yesterday (50th Aniversary Model). That makes six, and counting......

Bucks Owin

Hunter
G. Freeman":3trbcsvz said:
Hi Guys,
I have 3 mark-II's that I love and enjoy shooting. They are very easy to maintain and serve as warm-up guns during shooting.

In the last year I've been wondering whether I would enjoy shooting the single-six, but have held back for fear that it would be more maintenance than my MK-II's.

Have a few questions for you single-six owners:

It'll feel odd in your hand if you're a selfloader fan, but give it some time. There's no better .22 wheelgun for the money IMO. The questions... 1; Dry fire all you please, no snap caps needed. I've dryfired my 80's vintage New Model (NM) SS6 thousands of times with no damage whatsoever. My Old Model (OM) doesn't get dry fired except occasionally and WITH empty cases loaded. (Not sure if that's even needed with an OM, but I do it anyway) 2; No. If you fired a bunch of shorts first (another plus for the S6) then switch to LR, you may encounter a little "stickiness". Clean charge holes before switching if so! BTW, that's about all that's ever needed for "maintenance" along with a tiny amount of lube on the cyl pin and ratchet now and then. I swab out the bore only occasionally and with a pull through, not from the muzzle...3; Everyone seems to assume that the Marks will outshoot the Single Six. I'm not so sure that's a given. My OM shoots -1" at 25 yds with favorite ammo when I'm up to the task. Wouldn't surprise me if my NM does too, I've just never gotten serious with it at the bench like I have the OM. Does "every" Mark group BETTER than that? Not by itself! I think it's the shooter more than the "tool" when comparing accuracy between the two....JMO, Dennis :wink: ....

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hi Guys, thanks a bunch for the replies. You guys are a bad influence on me! Dished out the money for my 5.5" sts single-six convertible last night. Should be getting it in a week.

This is my 2nd single action revo. The 1st one being a sts blackhawk in 357 which I bought last year.

Old22mag

Bearcat
You need one!! I have a MKII 22/45 Stainless I bought new 10+ years ago,
love it, used to carry and shoot it more than any of my other toys, then I re-discovered Single-Sixes, now my 22/45 is back in it's box in the safe.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I have a 5.5 inch also and it is my favorite. The 6.5 is a tad too long. The 4 5/8 is a tad too short. The 5.5 is just right. :wink:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have the mkIII and really enjoyed it until I got my single six now the mkIII gets left at home most of the time. but I have 9 other single action rugers and the single six is just a natural for me. The mkIII is a great pistol but the single six wins out on which to carry shooting most of the time for me. Yes it's a slower loading pistol but I just like it. I have the 4 5/8" bbl because that's what most of my other single actions are. For some strange reason I do better with a short bbl handgun. I shoot the 4 5/8" ones better than the 7.5 " ones I have. I have even cut back a couple of the longer ones to 4 5/8" and like them a whole lot better now.