Do I NEED a Colt 1911??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have 3 Ruger SR1911s (2 full size, 1 CMD size, 1 of the full sized is set up for suppressor demos), an RIA Gov't Model (highly modified), a Taurus PT1911, a SIG 1911R (Scorpion), a Para Expert Carry (3"bbl, full size grip), a Ruger SR45 and a Ruger P90.

Do I really need a Colt?

If I were to get a Colt, if not a Gold Cup, it would probably be a 70 series that I would look for.

Thoughts?

Ron, sit tight, wait for the proverbial GOOD deal to come along, you will have one either come to you or see one at some time just come on the market...I have one from the mid 60s a National Match and thatgun is capable of shooting ONE hole groups, thats how accurate it is,but we have retired it, got a matched 22 conversion fitted to it from the factory many years one of the honchos had it done for us, but I still bought and will use my "new" Ruger SR1911.............
yes, the Colt is the "classic" and if you like 45 acp, the way to go, at least ONCE ( heck I've had hundreds of them go through us over the years), and I still love the WWI and WWII guns the most........good things DO come to those that wait.

here you go........

and here is an US Air Force Premium Grade, from our days at Camp Perry................

It was built in 1966........

sheepdawg

Single-Sixer
Everyone deserves one Colt 1911, the rattle when you shake it is addictive. :mrgreen:

By the way the only 1911 I have is a Colt, a Series 80 even :oops: and I love it. Capable of a nice 2" group with a magazine full at 25 yards rattle and all.

If I was going to get another one it would be a Ruger, a co worker has one and it's real nice.

Either a Colt or a Springfield Armory.

Colt exhibited AMAZING customer service recently when I facilitated a warranty exchange for a buddy of mine. It was regarding a "rusted-under-the grips" STAINLESS frame.

I'm sure the original thread, including pics are around here somewhere...

However Springfield Armory also builds a high quality forged "true-to-spec 1911"

I doubt you could go wrong either way but here is Kudos to Colt on their great service.

Yep, you do need a Colt, just like I need to. Then it can sit in the safe like mine, while I shoot the less expensive guns that shoot every bit as well. I've owned many Colt's over the years, and now I own just one. It's absolutely gorgeous. But I've not even looked at it for 3-or-maybe-more years.

WAYNO.

revhigh

Hawkeye
If you're just gonna look at it every 3 years ... No.

If you want a great gun to shoot a lot ... Yes.

If you don't have any .... Go straight to the Gold Cup at $1000-1100.

I wouldn't buy a low end Colt now ... I'd just buy a Springfield Range Officer for about $700 and be done with it.

REV

revhigh said:
If you're just gonna look at it every 3 years ... No.

If you want a great gun to shoot a lot ... Yes.

If you don't have any .... Go straight to the Gold Cup at $1000-1100.

I wouldn't buy a low end Colt now ... I'd just buy a Springfield Range Officer for about $700 and be done with it.

REV

Still trying to get with my buddy so we can get pics posted of his RO. He's already got 300 trouble-free rounds through it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ah ... They all look the same anyway ... Just a no frills TRP. :D

In other words ... PERFECT !

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
The 9mm RO's are incredible. I've had my eye on one of them for a few years now. Haven't found the right one yet .... Make that a good enough deal. :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
revhigh said:
The 9mm RO's are incredible. I've had my eye on one of them for a few years now. Haven't found the right one yet .... Make that a good enough deal. :D

REV

$700 tempting?
http://grabagun.com/sph-1911-ro-5in-9mm-park-w-gear.html

$735 .... Nah ... I have so many 9's and 1911's already I just can't justify any more unless I find one really cheap .... Like $650 .... :D

REV

dakota1911

Buckeye
Try some WWI repos. I still see ANVIIIs around for about $1K. Those will show you where the 1911 came from. I don't have one. I have a o1911 and o1918.

You might think of a Colt Commander of some type. Colt developed those in the late 40s for the Army trials to find a new pistol. The trials never took place but in addition to the Colt Commander also gave us the S&W 39 and everything that followed from that. Below a pre 80s Series Commander from 1982.

And then there is one I bought this year. An XSE LW Commander in 9mm.

You might think of a no longer made Colt Officers model. They came out in 1984 and had many variations over many years and gave us the "officers length grip". Below is a 1985.

I could go on and on, but this is a Ruger forum. I have a couple full size and now three of the CMDs, which are nice.

Edmo

Bearcat
Do you need a Colt?? No...

However, as they say, "If it ain't a Colt, it's a copy."

Edmo

guns021.jpg