do away with my scope on mark III target?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
Hello peeps,

I have a ruger mark III competition target model .22LR pistol. I have a leupold scope on it. I like the look of the gun without the scope. I also think its easier to clean without the scope. I just don't want to sacrifice accuracy. I can keep 2" groups at 25 yards with the scope. Should I be able to do that with open sights? Just wondering.

Ski

Bearcat
Have you tried to find a picture of a Mark III with a reflex/holographic type sight on it? Something like the little Burris Fastfire II will give you excellant accuracy without the bulk of a scope. I have the same pistol and 64 year old eyes. I can use the irons if I have to but distance shooting is quite hard.... I didn't want a scope on mine so I mounted an Ultradot Pan-A-V holographic sight. Clean looking and doesn't overload the lines of the pistol yet allows me to be quite accurate out to the 25 yard line.

Ski

Bearcat
lovemyruger2010":313muexi said:
so using any type of scope or red dot is more accurate than using iron sights?

No... I wouldn't say that is a universal truth. However, with old eyes that are corrected with bi or tri focal lenses or even progressive type lenses, optics sure make it easier. Because of the length of the sight plane, It is much easier for me to shoot irons on a rifle than on my pistols - especially at distance greater than 25 yards. But, regardless of the firearm, I am much more precise in my shot placement at all distances when I use an optic .

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
lovemyruger2010":1gux4flg said:
so using any type of scope or red dot is more accurate than using iron sights?

My eyes are 20/20 and any type of scope or red dot is more accurate for me than iron sights.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Hey 2010! I just looked at you set up from my earlier thread about scoped Rugers. You should consider some quick release rings. That way you could go back and forth between open sights and the scope. BTW, that's a nice looking rig you have!

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
Jayhawkhuntclub":iazbg4xu said:
Hey 2010! I just looked at you set up from my earlier thread about scoped Rugers. You should consider some quick release rings. That way you could go back and forth between open sights and the scope. BTW, that's a nice looking rig you have!

Thanks jayhawk. I have thought about quick release scope rings. Just never put them on. I am going to keep the scope I have now on it and just keep shooting :) I get some weird ideas sometimes.