DIY parkerizing - my MKII Target Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Here's my bull barrel MKII Target Model that I parkerized in the garage. The frame, receiver, bolt and barrel are not perfect color matches, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
2qukpzb.jpg

Regards,
Greg

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I would say that looks most excellant! :D

Hues will vary with park'ing depending on different steel. I wouldn't imagine that the frame, bbl, and receiver would come out exactly the same as I'm sure there's variances in the steel used for those parts.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Looks to me like the trigger is bead blasted stainless steel. Very nice work and another example of what you can do at home once you overcome your fears and step forward. I would like to hear more about the whole process you used and what chemicals or kit you used. Great job. Some nice straight grain dark walnut grips sure would look nice on this gun.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Highstandardguy":eczx6le4 said:
I don't recognize the trigger. What is it?
REP1954":eczx6le4 said:
Looks to me like the trigger is bead blasted stainless steel. Very nice work and another example of what you can do at home once you overcome your fears and step forward. I would like to hear more about the whole process you used and what chemicals or kit you used. Great job. Some nice straight grain dark walnut grips sure would look nice on this gun.
Good eyes you two! That trigger is indeed blasted stainless steel. It is an AMT Lightning trigger that I got from Numrich (e-gunparts.com). I think I read somewhere that Clark made these for AMT; regardless of that, it is nicely made and has an an adjustable over-travel stop.
29z8rcy.jpg

Rep1954,
Thanks!
The process is pretty straight forward; prep the metal (in my case: blast, wash, degrease), soak in heated solution, rinse and seal (I use motor oil). I have a small blast cabinet, but quite often (and for this one) I use a spot blasting gun ($15-20 at Harbor Freight) and 60 grit silica sand (about $10 for 50lbs.) Silica is very bad for the lungs; I use a cartridge respirator and do the blasting in the back yard (already rock and sand :) ).
I use a porcelain pot to hold the solution and a hot plate to heat it. I used manganese phosphate for the MKII and got it from Lauer Custom Weaponry (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm? ... 20Solution).
Here are the websites I used to tutor myself on the process:
http://www.blindhogg.com/parkerizing.html
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu52.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshoote ... rizing.htm

oregon73":eczx6le4 said:
That looks nice! Very businesslike! Doing the bolt as well really made it look spiffy!
Rob
Thanks!

Regards,
Greg

BDM

Bearcat
That looks like an excellent job. Do you have some experience at that? Surely that is not your first attempt?

gb6491

Single-Sixer
BDM and deac45
Thank you :)
BDM":k74izvxh said:
.... Do you have some experience at that? Surely that is not your first attempt?
A little, I've done two other pistols of mine and some various parts of others. The process is not all that difficult with the metal prep being the hardest part.
Here are some links to the other pistols:
My Springfield Armory 1911-A1.
My Kel Tec P32:
This photo shows my first attempt on it: Photo 1
I drilled the front sight for paint recently and re-parkerized it as well:
Photo 2
Photo 3
Regards,
Greg

CLee0507

Bearcat
Wow that thing is beautiful!!! I saw in another thread some examples that you did (I think it was you) It is just awesome. I've seen factory jobs that don't look as nice as that one.

contender

Ruger Guru
Excellent job. I've done a few guns in the past. However, I cheat. I go to a gunsmith's friends shop & use his equipment, including the parkerizing tank etc.

Latest posts