Dissapointed wtih LCR!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Doug

There certainly comes a point of diminishing returns. I suppose one can hide a Freedom Arm mini revolver in the front pocket with total comfort, but would that even begin to make one comfortable?

I carried a gun on and off duty for nearly 25 years. I never had one that was totally comfortable for off duty. They were always heavier than I would have liked, but even when the fashion of polymer came into being, I wanted the "most" gun I could conceal and if that meant wearing a different shirt or jacket, that's what I did.

The current fashion, to go to smaller and smaller guns and cartridges seems so counter-intuitive to what we've been studying for the last 30 years. It's only the explosion of states allowing concealed carry, that has spawned the rebirth of "mouse guns" for personal defense.

Dan

Specs

Single-Sixer
Back on topic for me, my LCR 357 will easily carry in my pocket as will my LC9. My main problem is deciding which to carry. I like the LCR "stashed" in the truck and the LC9 in my pocket, but my wife is considering CCW and I think the LCR will be hers with some hot 38 JHP.

In any case I have not had to modify my clothing choices, it's Wrangler Relaxed Fit all the way for pocket carry.

dougader

Hunter
I buy pants with big front pockets for the express purpose of pocket carry. I buy Hawaiian (or Cuban) style shirts that are not meant to be tucked in.

I buy dress slacks with the same thing in mind. Also, my slacks are little loose around the wasit in case I want to use IWB holsters in stead of owb holsters.

Thinking of the Smart Carry option for work. No law forbidding carry at work, but its in the employee handbook so I could get fired if I carried at work and someone got wise to it. Right now I park my car off company property with a gun in the car. I can see my car from my office.

RonS

Single-Sixer
For those who pocket carry, do you wear seat belts when you are in a vehicle?

dougader

Hunter
Yes, seatbelts are required by law here. But when I drive I either pull the gun from my pocket before buckling up, or - more often than not - I have another gun in the glove box or stuck between my seat and the center console.

Specs

Single-Sixer
dougader said:
Yes, seatbelts are required by law here. But when I drive I either pull the gun from my pocket before buckling up, or - more often than not - I have another gun in the glove box or stuck between my seat and the center console.

Yep! The extra gun in the truck makes pocket carry w/seatbelt use work. I am unable to quickly acquire my pocket pistol when seated, so I always have a second. Should always have a backup when travelling around anyway.

rugman4555

Bearcat
I just got my first revolver of any kind, a .357 LCR and I love it. Carries easily IWB. My primary carry prior was a Taurus TCP in pocket which I will still carry as back up, but I like the feel, the trigger and the ability to shot .38 and .357. I have a 1911, M&P 9mm compact with a crimson trace, and a Taurus Mil Pro 40. I, for one, couldn't be happier with my purchase and it didn't break the bank. I love S&W, have a couple of .22's also, but way too much money. To me, and I realize it is just my humble opinion, it is great. 5 shots in the NRA black at 25 yards first try and punch and conceal-ability? One of my happiest purchases and I have not been a Ruger fan. Didn't like my p95 at all. Thanks from a newbie!

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Specs said:
pocket carry w/seatbelt

This is one of the few areas where it is actually convenient to be left-handed.

Hittman,

You hit the nail on the head. But not because you're left handed, but because seated in a vehicle, it's darn near impossible for a right handed carry to be useful.

In over 25 years of law enforcement, I always carried my off duty piece cross draw! Yet the myths surrounding that style continue to plague it. It is by far the most useful draw, bar none. The weapon is accessible while seated without the need to shift the body. It's accessible when in seat belts. It is accessible to either hand!!!!

Dan

contender

Ruger Guru
I have read a lot of this with amusement. The OP doesn't like the LCR. That's his opinion, and right to feel that way. It's also very evident that many folks do enjoy the LCR. Then there many of us who prefer larger guns on us. I have a habit of keeping several close by. In my truck, I have a special holster just for my 1911. I also keep a OM 45 Colt in a cross draw holster handy. Either of these two are constant companions. Then I sometimes carry one of our SP-101's or an LCP. It all depends upon how I'm dressed & where I'm going.
Crossdraw in a vehicle is by far the best, & most comfortable for a right-handed person while driving.
The hardest thing is the transition from driving to going into a function etc where formal atire is necessary etc.
That's why there are MANY types of firearms that work for CCW, and why there are MANY types of holsters for CCW. No ONE gun & holster set up will be perfect for ALL applications.
(A good excuse to buy more guns & stuff!)

off road

Single-Sixer
Decided to give this gun another chance, and have pocket carried it for the last few days. It is in a Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster. I started out with the standard grip, but quickly switched to the boot grip for a little less bulk. After lots of practice, I still find the boot grip to be quite a bit to slick. Even caused me to drop the gun once! In the stress of an emergency situation, drawing it would be dicey at best.

Again, the gun isn't so bad carried IWB, but for me its intended purpose is to back up the Baby Glock that I carry IWB....not replace it.

Overall, I am liking this gun less and less with time! The fit and finish is pretty much a joke compared to S&W's very highly refined J-frames. Add to it, the fact that around here I can get a new S&W 642/442 for $30 less than a new LCR, so this gun makes even less sense. I could certainly see it for someone on a budget if it was $100 less than a S&W, but when you can get a S&W for less money, it makes not one bit of sense at all....

I really have to say that Ruger has created a bit of a turd here...and in the long run I more and more regret ever buying it! Going back to my little 11 oz S&W 342!

off road said:
Decided to give this gun another chance, and have pocket carried it for the last few days. It is in a Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster. I started out with the standard grip, but quickly switched to the boot grip for a little less bulk. After lots of practice, I still find the boot grip to be quite a bit to slick. Even caused me to drop the gun once! In the stress of an emergency situation, drawing it would be dicey at best.

Again, the gun isn't so bad carried IWB, but for me its intended purpose is to back up the Baby Glock that I carry IWB....not replace it.

Overall, I am liking this gun less and less with time! The fit and finish is pretty much a joke compared to S&W's very highly refined J-frames. Add to it, the fact that around here I can get a new S&W 642/442 for $30 less than a new LCR, so this gun makes even less sense. I could certainly see it for someone on a budget if it was $100 less than a S&W, but when you can get a S&W for less money, it makes not one bit of sense at all....

I really have to say that Ruger has created a bit of a turd here...and in the long run I more and more regret ever buying it! Going back to my little 11 oz S&W 342!

Guess you've done a very good job of making the point that you don't like this gun. So sell it, and move on.

Many companies market pepper spray that is truly pocket size. That may better fulfill your needs.

WAYNO.

GeorgiaShooter

Bearcat
There's a youtube video of a girl with a skirt, then jeans, then tight blouse and she demostrates repeatedly how amazingly concealable this LCR is. She has the 357 version just like me. I love mine and the only difference in size to my wifes Smith 442 CT grips, is my LCR trigger guard being able to handle a large finger with ease. They both fit perfectly in the same pocket sleeve holster I own...

So I was kinda shocked to see that people would actually pick that little eighth of an inch difference in a trigger guard. Why does it seem in my new arrival to all these gun forums, blogs and channels that people slam Ruger a lot more easily than S&W, like a red headed stepchild?

After all the negative reading I bought one and hope to give some summary of my impressions. In a different light the LCR should be considered a step forward in many ways, especially the 357 version. It's really the same weight loaded as my wifes 442 and she shoots my LCR better and more ergo feeling that her Smith but I just have to have the LCR because the accuracy and trigger pull is going to potentially save my life one day, so I could care less about some of these issues that seem to make others want to completely slam the gun, online.

On the other hand Smith gets a pass on the issues with the bodyguard which I am experiencing with one I own, I love both Smith and Ruger and nothing is perfect for everyone. Just saying

DGW1949

Hunter
Specs said:
At the risk of being "off topic", I must say that it is IL governors and a secy of state in jail over the years. I was merely pointing out that "privilege" is not appropriate when speaking of our 2A RIGHTS.

Neither is the terms "ccw", "cch", "permit", "restricted", "regulated", and/or "license". In fact, all those words have much to do with "privilage", and little/nothing to do with "rights".

Pesky word, infringed.

DGW

GeorgiaShooter

Bearcat
Forgot to post this but I did a quick side by side video of the LCR 357 and the S&W 442 38, and even the 357 LCR is basically the same size, in fact the 442 is bigger in some measurements. I might go to a leaner grip for my LCR in the future but it's carrying just fine right now. I honestly love both revolvers equally.

http://youtu.be/yGXnbGDq-WE

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I suppose if the lady is the size of Jessica Simpson or such then size gets critical, but if built like me and Haystack Calhoun (old time wrestler), then a 4"mod 27 or 29, or full size 1911 hides nicely.

chris_

Blackhawk
I carry my 357 LCR in my back pocket with no holster in Socal. A long tailed t shirt covers it nicely. I like mine. Shoots much better than a J frame as well. MUCH better.

Knuckles

Buckeye
:? :shock: I'm still wonderin' what Flatty' was try to say about his .44 & .45 Blackhawks... "whatchu talkin' about willis...?"

... Oh! Yeah!... the LCR is a good gun quit complaining ! :wink:

off road

Single-Sixer
LittleBrother said:
In a different light the LCR should be considered a step forward in many ways, especially the 357 version.

I will agree there. The .357 does everything that the SP101 will do, and its half the weight so it will carry all the better! But again, great for IWB carry, but for pocket carry it is worse than the .38, because it is even heavier.

GeorgiaShooter

Bearcat
Yeah that's a good point there. But even the 357 model is very easy to carry for me. Seems like the rounds you put in add most of the perceived weight anyway. Luckily my holster manages to level the playing field anyway.