Displeased with Federal's response after ammo problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Erich

Single-Sixer
Maybe so, but I'm just sort of done hassling with it. My friend said that he went ahead and contacted someone anyhow, so we'll see if Federal makes it right, but I'm not holding my breath. Oh well . . .

stevemb

Hunter
If their ammo is faulty by 10 yrs of age, they should recall it, have it pulled from the shelfves and dispose of it. They left it out, available for sale, will gladly take your money, so they are still responsible for the quality or lack of, or should sell for a reduced price. stevemb

gray wolf

Bearcat
********THIS**********
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If their ammo is faulty by 10 yrs of age, they should recall it, have it pulled from the shelfves and dispose of it. They left it out, available for sale, will gladly take your money, so they are still responsible for the quality or lack of, or should sell for a reduced price. stevemb
_____________________________________________________________________Call them on the phone and don't take any crap. Forget the E-letters, let them tell you that nonsense in your ear.

mickeyboat

Bearcat
Erich said:
I appreciate all the supportive posts, folks. :) A friend who knows people offered to bring the matter to the attention of bigwigs at ATK/Federal, but I'm kind of beyond trying to get myself made whole - it's just not that big a deal. On the other hand, the shooting fraternity ought to know about 1) the problem with the brass and 2) the remarkably uncaring attitude about this product's not being fit for its intended purpose.

So instead of getting to the cause of the problem/issue you would rather Rosie O'Donnell on an internet forum. Got it.

Erich

Single-Sixer
No, I figure one try is enough - I've got under $20 in the ammo and it's not worth my time supplicating myself to an indifferent corporation in hopes of wheedling out of them the fit-for-purpose product that they should have provided me in the first place.

So instead of getting to the cause of the problem/issue you would rather Rosie O'Donnell on an internet forum. Got it.

I must say, mickeyboat, that your reply strikes me as pretty offensive. I've benefited for years from the product information shared with me by members of the shooting fraternity - both positive and negative. I believed (and others' posts on this thread lead me to think that I was correct) that this information would be of interest to people here - call it paying back. THAT was why I took the time to post.

dougader

Hunter
Watch the type of polish you use in your tumbler. I stopped using Brasso because it does have ammonia in it.

I had a bunch of 1960's era Winchester 30-06 brass with split necks awhile back. I figured it just got too brittle sitting there all that time. It was with handloads, but no signs of high pressure otherwise.

Paul B

Hunter
loaded round said:
My suggestion would be to search the net (Google?) to find a Federal/ATK CEO or similar officer and write him a polite letter or email and include your original response. I'm certain that you will get a quite different reponse. It has worked for me twice, but never contacted Federal/ATK however. Good luck to you.

That sure as hell did not work for me when I has a gripe with a Lyman product. I'm talking a power case trimmer. Ended up throwing it into the trash. Should have sent it to Lyman's CEO and told him where to stick it.

On another not, I found an error in the new Nosler loading manual #7. Compare the data for the 3-06 (I used 180 gr. ) and the data for the 30-06 AI. They're EXACTLY THE SAME. :x I E-mailed Nosler about this and got back, "We're using newer powders." They'll be getting a phone call rom me as soon as I cool off a bit more.
n te original post. I've had federal .38 Spl. target wacutter loads do the same thing and it got worse with reloads. he whole mess went into the scrap brass pile and is probably somewhee in mainland China.
Paul B.

Erich

Single-Sixer
Watch the type of polish you use in your tumbler. I stopped using Brasso because it does have ammonia in it.

If you care to go thru the hassle, brass can be occasionally annealed to help prevent splitting.

Alas, this was factory loaded ammo - I'd hope it would have come properly annealed from Federal, but . . . alas, mistakes are made. The response to my bringing their mistake to their attention was what troubled me.

dougader

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
If you care to go thru the hassle, brass can be occasionally annealed to help prevent splitting.

I have never done so, however.

I'm too lazy about it. 8)

I did read an article about it in Handloader magazine and have been meaning to give it a whirl....

dougader

Hunter
Erich said:

Alas, this was factory loaded ammo - I'd hope it would have come properly annealed from Federal, but . . . alas, mistakes are made. The response to my bringing their mistake to their attention was what troubled me.

I was referring to Ale's post, sorry. I was at work and got rushed. I should have quoted his post when I responded. I'd be miffed, too, with the answer you got from Federal.

dougader

Hunter
I had a piece of WW brass that corroded from the inside out. Exactly once-fired brass. Cowboy (low presure) loads when new, and a cowboy load when I reloaded it. I didn't notice anything was wrong until I went to remove the empty cases from that round of shooting. I had to pound that case out as it had split from the mouth about 3/4 way down the case.

I used to use Brasso in my case tumbler. No more.

Now I use new Starline for my "Ruger Only" loads in 45 Colt. After that, all my used brass is relegated to 14k psi/target loads.

I hand inspect my brass for the 454 Casull. Can you imagine what that would be like if a case let go? Yikes! :shock:

32magfan

Blackhawk
Like Ruger Packer I had a problem in the late '80's with 32 H&R facory loads splitting on the initial firing. I sent the 50 round box back with 14 split cases and a letter explaining that I intended to reload my empties. The response was prompt and included a new box of 50 shells. The explanation was that the brass was not annealed properly and that the problem was now corrected. Ok, I thought. So I shot the new box and had 7 more split cases. Once Starline came along, I bought their brass and never looked back. I buy very little Federal ammo anymore due to this debacle.

My .02,

32Magfan

dougader

Hunter
You know, I really like those little I-frame guns. Too bad you had such a nasty experience with the Federal ammo/brass. Extra surprising seeing the 32 S&W Long cartridge has a whopping SAAMI max of 15,000 psi. :shock:

Erich

Single-Sixer
Yeah, and there was no chance these factory rounds were anywhere near that. Some of the handloads that Phil Sharpe's book has, though . . . I'm sure they're right up there! :)

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Had the same problem with .32 H&K Federal Factory loads that were a cpl years old. Federal did not reply to the THREE, USPS letters that I sent. I have since used Starline brass exclusively for all .32 H&K loading. The Federal brass split 10 of 50 rounds when fired in a NEW S&W M-16, originally chambered in .32 H&R.

I have had no similar problems with other Federal brass...9mm Champion 115 FMJ's, 230 gr FMJ .45 ACPs, nor any of their HP defensive ammunition. I could be they had a problem with the .32 brass, both .32 Long and H&R, not to mention the abominable customer service.

Rod