Discovered a "D" S/N OM S47

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
While out touring gun shops in Nor Cal yesterday, I discovered a duplicate prefix s/n OM Super Blackhawk, s/n D80-25729, complete with a two piece box & instruction manual. All indications point to it being correct, except for the silver eagle medallions. According to RENE, the eagle medallions should be black. In the box is a letter from Ruger saying that it shipped Sept 1971. Can someone enlighten me on the medallions? Could the silver eagle medallions be correct after all? Thanks!

lmd

flatgate

Hawkeye
I don't know the "exact date" when the medallions were changed. I bet nobody knows for certain since parts don't necessarily get used in the order they were made.

I'd bet your discovery is A-OK.

flatgate

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Seems fine to me. From my observations on the OM 45s, the medallion switched to silver in the May, 1971 timeframe so, a Sept 71 shipped gun would be correct with the silver medallions.

My D80-254XX gun shipped in Mar, 1971 and has black eagle medallions.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

Would be interesting to have further info on the introduction of the "squashed chickens" on the XR3RED and Super grips, respectively.

Everything I've seen says 1971, but I'm not sure there has been any commentary on the two different sizes of panels.

:)

flattop44

Buckeye
I would say the Super's grips are correct. About mid-71 seems to be where the squashed eagles came in. That boxed "D" S47 is a good gun!
FT44

Agreed. I'm just curious if anyone had noticed any particular difference in the original issue of the two different sizes . . . someone like you, perhaps, or Chad, maybe.

;)

Very likely a 1970 gun, with "black eagles" being proper.

Even if it were an early 1971 gun, you might still see those blackies.

:)

Edited to say that I checked RENE again and that's more likely 1971 gun, but you never know. As Chet15 says below, it all depends on the final ship date and even then you're not absolutely positive.

;)

chet15

Hawkeye
The only "D" supers in that range I'd heard of before had black medallions. But, all depends on when the gun was finally inspected and went out the door, so am not doubting its authenticity.
Chet15

Latest posts