discoloring inside chamber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I just bought a Security 9, i decided to clean it before shooting it. i took it apart and there is a grayish brown spot aout halfway around inside the chamber more gray and very light brown. i can't see anything in the barrel and half of the chamber is good. it's not rough feeling and ammo cycles good by hand. taking a plastic nozzle straw from my rem oil i can't feel it catch on it so it has to be very thin or may be in the bluing. My bronze bore brush won't clean it off, it has me stumped. i have oiled it and put everything back together and cycled it. and it cycles fine by hand. I am thinking it's part of the bluing that didn't take well but wanted to ask here. thanks for any help on this.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I decided to take it down and realy brush it and it's still there so it has to be just where the bluing messed up. I did think to check ammo in the chamber and have a question. with the barrel out i can drop a cartridge in the chamber by hand easier, the ammo has a little wiggle, is this normal? I don't have another semi auto to check so i was wondering if ammo is supposed to be snug in the chamber or wiggle a little? thanks

recumbent

Buckeye
On my 9mm semi autos the loaded ammo will just drop into the chamber.
I have a S&W M&P 9mm barrel on my workbench. I just checked it with Winchester and Sig 9mm factory ammo.
There is just a small amount of wiggle.
I would say everything is just fine.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
recumbent said:
On my 9mm semi autos the loaded ammo will just drop into the chamber.
I have a S&W M&P 9mm barrel on my workbench. I just checked it with Winchester and Sig 9mm factory ammo.
There is just a small amount of wiggle.
I would say everything is just fine.

ok thanks, I thought there should be a little to allow for expansion without sticking.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
here is my barrel finally got a pic of it. just click on pic and the enlarge and you can see the spot thanks.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
I think you worry too much! You mention it functions manually, shoot it! Maybe discolored from the factory firing it? FUNCTION IS EVERYTHING!
gramps
I just went out and shot it, it shoots bad. at 7yds it will not group and i am about 8 inches left and 4-5 inch group.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Thought I would update, the gun was returned from Ruger yesterday. They replaced the barrel and sent an extra magazine.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Get Wood said:
Let Us Know How It Shoots Now With The New Barrel ???

Well me and my nephew shot the Ruger Security 9 yesterday, the good news is the gun now shoots to point of aim and worked flawless. the bad news is he hates the trigger as he is used to striker fired guns. but I told him to keep givin it a try, he has a good gun now.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
I realize this is a bit old but I just got a Security 9 and have not had a chance to check it out yet. :shock: I have had to send an SP-101 in .22 back for some timing problems and once I sent an other revolver back back but the problem was my shooting.
Best,
Rob

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
robmkivseries70 said:
I realize this is a bit old but I just got a Security 9 and have not had a chance to check it out yet. :shock: I have had to send an SP-101 in .22 back for some timing problems and once I sent an other revolver back back but the problem was my shooting.
Best,
Rob

I used to never check Rugers and never had any trouble till this time, I will take a light with me from now on. Not only test function of the gun in hand but use the light to check for any trouble in the barrel too.