Disappointed in Armslist...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
Have used Armslist for several years. Have bought several items using the site.

There have been several developments that may mean my Armslist days are over. :cry:
1) They got rid of Power Search (advanced search function)
2) Required registration, to reply to ad (not a big deal, I guess)
3) Now charging for service (fair enough, BUT... see below)
3a) Charging extra to subscribe with credit card ($4/mo for “ACH” direct transfer, $7/mo if you don’t want to give them bank info for ACH)
3b) Presumably, the site will still be littered with ads (they didn’t say ‘no ads for paying members’)

Looks like if the seller is an Armslist Premium Vendor, maybe buyers can still view those ads for free(?). My purchases have all been from private parties, so no saving grace, there...

I guess my biggest beef with the changes is the extra $3/month if I don’t want to give them account numbers for ACH. (Sorry, but NO WAY.)

It will be interesting to see if these changes are going to become “just how it is” on Armslist, or if it’s the beginning of the end.

I sent them a message with my concerns. I’m sure that will help! :mrgreen:

I check RF Classifieds regularly, and they’ll continue to be my first stop. Everybody post up your bargains! :p

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
hittman said:
I wonder if they had solicited contributions to keep going how many would have volunteered to pay.

I’m guessing next to no one.
(Looking in the mirror...)

I think the part that stuck in my craw the worst is their desire to make electronic withdrawals from my bank. If the credit card (with some consumer protection) were the same price... I might well be amenable.

If I see something I “need,” I’ll probably fold like a tent, and pay their $7. :p

I guess I just got spoiled using their site when it was entirely funded by advertisers.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
U.H. . . . . I agree.
$4/mo JUST to be able to use their listings is, to me, excessive.
Even at the $7 amount, it would be about a quarter our of their pocket.
I'll bet I stay with "hold it in my hand" (size limitations) or I don't buy it. :wink:

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
Fox Mike said:
bobski said:
gunauction.com.
still free.
still old school.
I stay there.
Hadn't been there before. I just went there and didn't see anywhere you can question the seller.

Fox Mike-

When you’re on an auction page look at the square in about the middle of the page, titled “Meet the Seller.” Toward the right side inside of the box, under “Options,” there’s a link called “Ask Seller a Question,” in tiny print.

IIRC, GunAuction.com is the old AuctionArms.com. At least, I got that in my head, somewhere along the line.

Uncle Howie said:
Fox Mike said:
bobski said:
gunauction.com.
still free.
still old school.
I stay there.
Hadn't been there before. I just went there and didn't see anywhere you can question the seller.

Fox Mike-

When you’re on an auction page look at the square in about the middle of the page, titled “Meet the Seller.” Toward the right side inside of the box, under “Options,” there’s a link called “Ask Seller a Question,” in tiny print.

IIRC, GunAuction.com is the old AuctionArms.com. At least, I got that in my head, somewhere along the line.
Went there, clicked on guns for sale, used. Typed in Ruger Bearcat. Two appeared. Neither show any "meet the seller", or for that matter any block.

gunzo

Buckeye
Charging the seller in some way, makes perfect sense. It will be a good thing that it might keep a lot of scammers or just plain silly adds off of there. By silly adds, I mean stuff like, "I don't really want to sell it, I'm just testing the waters" or " I don't know what I want, just seeing what's out there."

But, charging a potential buyer to just ask a question is a big screwup on the part of Armslist IMO. That just doesn't make sense.

bobski

Hunter
go to an auction. when it comes up, look in the middle of the page. its to the right of the flying flag of the sellers state. (ask the seller a question.) click. itll post at the bottom of the auction.

gunzo

Buckeye
bobski said:
go to an auction. when it comes up, look in the middle of the page. its to the right of the flying flag of the sellers state. (ask the seller a question.) click. itll post at the bottom of the auction.

Does this pertain to an add on Armslist? I couldn't find a flying flag, or anything that pertained to an auction.

Redington Slim

Single-Sixer
Disappointed. I used Armslist a lot. Not gonna pay what they are asking. If they are having complaints on sellers why not set up a feedback system? Also, it would be better to charge a small percentage fee when the item sells rather than a monthly subscription fee. So sorry. goodbye Armslist.

Redington Slim

Single-Sixer
Tip: save all the emails you got when you did listings on Armslist. You can go back to your old listings even if deactivated, edit, add new pictures, change title. etc,. Basically what I am saying is you CAN still list items for sale on Armslist by saving all your old listing emails.

Valmet

Single-Sixer
Seems like Armslist has kinda signed their own death warrant. I’ve seen threads like this one on several forums, lots of unhappy users.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Pay to scan items? Seriously? Its not that good a source in my experience. Charge the seller. Oh, and I agree that the ACH thing is completely out of line (as is charging dramatically more for a CC - try the GB approach if you're doing that and add 3-4%).

NikA

Buckeye
Vendor vs. individual listings in my state have basically swapped (used to be 1 to 10, now about 10 to 1). Somehow, there are still listings that are clearly scams being posted; I wonder if Armslist doesn't care because it now pads their bottom line. Only need one hit at a few hundred dollars to make up for a lot of months of "membership dues" (assuming you're using real CC info, probably not if scamming).

Have had good luck dealing locally with a more spartan alternative: jasonsguns.com