Dirty 3 screw help needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Hi all,

I need some help. Just picked up a 3 screw unconverted Blackhawk 357 6-1/2 barrel 1968 production. Picked it up for $150.00 some rust, grip frame damaged and extremely dirty. Looks like was fired and never cleaned and stayed in a glove box for 50 years. The caked on grease and dirt needs to come off before I take it apart. What should I dunk the whole fun on for a couple of days to soften up the gunk? I wants to keep what bluing it still has left. Suggestions?

Thanks,

grobin

Blackhawk
Heated ultrasonic with kerosene or a simple bucket with Murphy's soap and hot water. Use Evapo-Rust on the rust. Then see what else needs cleaning/fixing.

Enigma

Hunter
I'd mix a quart of ATF with a quart of acetone, and soak it in that. Or maybe plain old K-1 Kerosene. Actually, any cleaning solvent would probably break the dirt and grease loose.

contender

Ruger Guru
Remove the grips, cover in K-1 Kerosene for a few days to allow it to soak through. Then, start the cleaning process. A good disassembly and scrubbing in the K-1 is cheap & easy.

Kerosene (diesel fuel) works great. Remove the grip panels and submerge the gun for a few days, then scrub. If you can blow it out with compressed air after the dunking, so much the better.

Repeat as desired.

:mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
If you have a buddy who is an auto mechanic plop it in his parts washer or in the tank they soak carbs in.

bottom line all good points and ideas above, all work we use them all too,,,,when we had the shop we had an ultrasonic cleaner with LPS , and a larger tank with mineral spirits, and we used either man made or natural mineral spirits both worked.......and yes to this day we still use good old WD-40, a scrub brush ,swab and like 'ale-8' said, an air hose............you are not going to do any damage to the bluing unless you use an abrasive or an acid bath, such as Naval jelly, or any of the muriatic acid solutions, then you will remove the bluing !!!!!! :shock:

and yes as noted above, remove any wood or plastic ( hard rubber) grips beforehand,,, 8) :roll:

hittman said:
If you have a buddy who is an auto mechanic plop it in his parts washer or in the tank they soak carbs in.

Be careful with some of these cleaning arrangements, they can damage aluminum parts like ejector rod housings and grip frames.

dixie cat

Bearcat
spray with break kleen from the parts store, it will cut any grease and crude instantly and will not hurt a thing. but remove the grips first,,,,,,,,,,

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Thank you all for the information. I just wish the gun could talk, what stories would it have. I will post pictures.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I would use Non-Chlorinated Brake cleaner. Make sure it is Non-Chlorinated. It will cut all the dirt off. Make sure to remove the grips as already stated.