Dillon Scale

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilidog

Single-Sixer
I purchased a Dillon Terrminator digital scale several years ago. It worked perfectly for a couple of years then it got to the point that it wouldn't stay "zeroed". After a few weights it would be .2 or .3 grains off so I would have to hit the zero button again. I called Dillon and they said it had a lifetime warranty and to send it back. They replaced it and said the new one only had a one year warranty. Well, It worked for about a year and a half then started having the same trouble. Did Dillon quit the lifetime warranty because they were having too many returns?
I don't use the scale anymore because I can't trust it.
Has anyboby else had a problem with the Terrminator scale?
I think it's a little pricy to have to purchase a new one every year or two.....
Kevin

I bought one years back and kept it for only a week before returning it for a refund.

Now I'm using a PACT and getting along fine with it.

Dennis.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
My guess is that the digital scales are being private branded by another manufacturer, and Dillon was losing too much money by giving a warranty longer than their vendor would support. That's a shame, since Dillon service is among the best out there.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have my original Dillon digital scale and it's never given me any problems. I will say that due to my thoughts on how sensitive a digital scale can be, I left the styrofoam lower shipping piece in place, and set the whole thing up level on my bench. No bumps, jarring etc, and it's been on my bench for about 5-6 years now. I love it.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
Sgt Garcia":2gsfkeag said:
I bought one years back and kept it for only a week before returning it for a refund.

Now I'm using a PACT and getting along fine with it.

Dennis.

I have a PACT and it works great..

chilidog

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the respones. I was leery of buying an electronic scale to start with but they offered a lifetime warranty so I felt safe. Had I known they would reduce it to a year, I wouldn't have bought it. It makes me wonder if I bought a 550B they might do the same thing later.
What is a PACT? Is it digital?
Kevin

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I bought a Dillon scale several years ago when I bought my Dillon 550B. Took it out of the box and set it up and the dang thing would not even turn on. Took it back and later purchased an RCBS (made by PACT), and have never had a problem.

PACT is the manufacturer. Yes it is digital.
http://www.pact.com/

revhigh

Hawkeye
gmaske":n9hdi8dk said:
That is exactly why I won't use a digital scale.

Me neither, I could NEVER trust one. my RCBS 505 has always been perfect ... never a doubt ... and that's a good thing when you're reloading.

REV

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
revhigh":1sbhmhkj said:
gmaske":1sbhmhkj said:

Me neither, I could NEVER trust one. my RCBS 505 has always been perfect ... never a doubt ... and that's a good thing when you're reloading.

REV

Get a set of check weights, (mine are from Lyman). They will show you if your scale is accurate or not. Good for both digital and balance beam scales.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

My personal experience is that nothing electronic is nearly as constant or reliable as gravity.

I use a nearly 35 yr old RCBS 5-0-5 for "it's gotta be right" uses like the actual powder charges going into the cases. A set of check weights, frequently used, verifies it's doing as well as the day it came out of the box.

I use a digital for "quickie" stuff, such as checking basic powder measure or bushing throws, and for repetitive chores such as weight matching bullets. The one I'm using right now is battery operated, so we get to add weakening batteries to the host of other digital "intricacies." The wandering zero is the one I notice most--it seems to be less of a problem if I turn off the "auto off" battery saving feature.

Although the check weights say it IS accurate immediately after being zeroed, the changing zero problem leaves me less than perfectly confident.

Rick C

gmaske

Bearcat
I bought an RCB 10-10 when I first started out. It is as good as the day I bought it back nearly 25 years ago. I swallowed hard when I bought it cause it was a chunk of coin for me back then. I had a good laugh the other day when I ran across the peceipt. It was less than half of what they go for now. Anyway, I love digital sound, computers and such but I just don't trust them scales. That balance beam is a beautiful thing that I can see and adjust if need be with no hidden drift.

j3081

Bearcat
hi,,,i started reloading about 13 years ago and have NEVER owned a manual scale,,,the lyman dps II was the first and lasted me over 8 years of service,,,it now sits ready to be sent back,wrapped and labeled,and all their going to say is add $150.00 and we will send you a new dpsIII,,,after that one went bad,,,the pact was the way to go,,,almost 1/2 the price of the rcbs and still have this one with no problems what so ever,,,still use it every week,,,worked a bunch of OT the last few months and now have a brand new rcbs scale and dispenser waiting to use as a back-up,,,i have trusted these digital scales for 13 years,and my groups show it,,,the digital dispenser is one of the best tools a reloader could have,and i'd say faster,,,more accurate,,,and more dependable,,,just my 2 cents,,,thanks

revhigh

Hawkeye
Tenbore":17gyd3n4 said:
revhigh":17gyd3n4 said:
gmaske":17gyd3n4 said:

REV

Get a set of check weights, (mine are from Lyman). They will show you if your scale is accurate or not. Good for both digital and balance beam scales.

Already got 'em. What I don't trust, is that every single weighing with a digital scale is a seperate 'electronic occurrance'. With or without a check weight, that fact is indisputable. When it comes to loading explosive devices, consistency and absolute trust is far more important than 3 digits of supposed 'accuracy' to the right of the decimal point.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright":2gzjdxnx said:
Hi,

My personal experience is that nothing electronic is nearly as constant or reliable as gravity.

LOL ... great point Rick ! I agree.

REV

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Rick Courtright":20cc608w said:
Hi,

I use a nearly 35 yr old RCBS 5-0-5 for "it's gotta be right" uses like the actual powder charges going into the cases. A set of check weights, frequently used, verifies it's doing as well as the day it came out of the box.

I use a digital for "quickie" stuff, such as checking basic powder measure or bushing throws, and for repetitive chores such as weight matching bullets. The one I'm using right now is battery operated, so we get to add weakening batteries to the host of other digital "intricacies." The wandering zero is the one I notice most--it seems to be less of a problem if I turn off the "auto off" battery saving feature.

Although the check weights say it IS accurate immediately after being zeroed, the changing zero problem leaves me less than perfectly confident.

Rick C

I've had a PACT scale for 10+ years now. I have NEVER used it in battery mode. I always use the AC adaptor. I've never had a problem with wandering zero. When I start a reloading session I just turn it on and check it with the weights to verify its zero'd and start loading.

Electricity is cheaper than batteries as well. At least around here.

Ruger Packer":y7pqegk7 said:
Rick Courtright":y7pqegk7 said:
Hi,

Rick C

I've had a PACT scale for 10+ years now. I have NEVER used it in battery mode. I always use the AC adaptor. I've never had a problem with wandering zero. When I start a reloading session I just turn it on and check it with the weights to verify its zero'd and start loading.

Electricity is cheaper than batteries as well. At least around here.

Same here except I didn't even know one could use batteries.

I turn it on for a few minutes, run the cal and use it with absolute
confidence. There is really no good reason to not "trust" a properly
working electronic scale.

Dennis

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Not to mention that your local grocery store uses electronic scales to weigh your fruits and fresh vegetables. And they're inspected by whatever agency in your state and have an inspection stamp on them.

Same for USPS postal scales.

If can't afford to be inaccurate.

For some folks, old habits die hard. :roll:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer":2xo89ct4 said:

Hi,

Perhaps...

And then there are some of us who figure out what the job is that needs to be done, and choose the simplest, most reliable method of doing it.

Call it inspiration from a fairly smart guy named Einstein, who restated a principle known to many as Occam's Razor (which was borrowed from Aristotle--there's really very little new under the sun!): "The simplest answer is usually the correct answer."

How many of our high tech solutions to low tech problems meet that criterion? ;)

Rick C

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Rick Courtright":19vyn5kc said:
Ruger Packer":19vyn5kc said:

Hi,

Perhaps...

And then there are some of us who figure out what the job is that needs to be done, and choose the simplest, most reliable method of doing it.

Call it inspiration from a fairly smart guy named Einstein, who restated a principle known to many as Occam's Razor (which was borrowed from Aristotle--there's really very little new under the sun!): "The simplest answer is usually the correct answer."

How many of our high tech solutions to low tech problems meet that criterion? ;)

Rick C

But, Rick, WHY would you use batteries when electricity would give a steady power source and eliminate wandering zero?