Dillon Rapid Trim

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Been thinking about getting one of these, actually two of them since I also reload 7.62x39 (I know but I got a Mini 30 who hates the chicom/rusky stuff) and 6.8 SPC (Dillon sez due to case length there is a separate trimmer for those calibers). Been looking at the Giraud as well. My plan is to resize & decap on my RCBS single (I have spare die sets for 223, 6.8 & 7.62x39), mount the trimmer to the RCBS using the Hornady LNL sleeves (got plenty), trim, clean, reload on my RL550 (will remove the decap pin on the sizer). You guys have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks! :D

M'BOGO

Buckeye
You say you will remove the decap pin on the sizer. Doesn't the expander ball on the sizer final size the neck, after the case comes out of the neck portion of the die?

Might be best served to clean (so not to imbed anything in the sizing die). Size, trim (after the case streatching from sizing) and champher. (Clean again semi auto chambers don't like dirty cartridges) And load.

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
From what I've read and according to Dillion, the trim die that is attached to the trimmer will resize the care but does not decap and does not have a mandrel. From what I can gather it ride into the die, the shell casing/neck is is resized then trimmed and "supposedly" the trim is so good it dies not need to be cleaned up at all. My worries are if the trim die squeezes the neck without the mandrel, the thickness of the brass in the neck area will become increase since there is no mandrel to maintain proper thickness. I've also read that if the case is resized prior to trimming in the Dillon the trim pilot will not fit properly. Another point that seems to be floating around is if you resize after trimming, it could affect the OAL. Trying to decide if its worth it since I do a fair amount of reloading for my AR's and Mini-30. Cost of one of the trimmers is about $230. :wink:

Roper

Bearcat
When I got my trimmer I mounted it and a sizing/de-prime die in an extra tool head for my 550. I put the sizing die in station 1 like normal and the trimmer in station 3 across from the sizer. I get a batch of brass set up, lubed and run them through the 550 like normal. The two empty stations do nothing. Soon I have a bucket of trimmed brass ready to load.

During loading I have no die in station one, I just prime like normal. It works well and is like normal loading sequences.