Digital TV channels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I find it amazing(?) that the number of digital TV channels available on broadcast
TV frequencies is diminishing . . . rapidly! - - - According to the FCC guidelines,
the broadcast stations MUST maintain, non cable, broadcasts. Humm . . . .
It is beginning to look like that is yet another casualty of our evolving government.

I have had multiple channels "vanish" over the last thirty days. From the ever present
PBS (paid for by tax dollars) to several that I have been watching since moving to
AZ (Doctor G Medical examiner [I forget the network name] and many "real life"
channels).

Tonight one of the Weather channels was, suddenly, no longer available. - - - SO
sez I, I need to rerun the channel scan. Did that THREE times, and get about one
third the number of channels. Still minus PBS and several others.

My plan, at this point, is to get a new antenna (just in case) and try a different TV
set, to see what the results are. I find it more than difficult to believe that a TV set
that has less than four years use on it would suddenly drop coverage on selected
GROUPS of channels.

I hope it is a simple fix (such as a new antenna), but I'll bet on what it is once I can
say, specifically, what the problem is.

P.S. To those that do not watch TV, - - - WE REMEMBER all the times you told us.

I'd suggest both a new antenna as well as just call one of the stations such as your local pbs and ask them if they have stopped broadcasting that channel.

I bet it's the antenna, we lose some of the N.C. public stations every couple of weeks but all I have to do is rescan. These digital TV broadcast are it seems very weak signals.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Well, as a matter of fact, I have had three new broadcast channels added to my menu. One of which is DEFY. Seems they re-run History Channel and Discovery Channels shows. But we have WKNO TV in Memphis which is PBS. PBS is the reason I dropped my cable TV many years ago anyway. We watched, and paid for, a channel we got free! As to its being Govt. subsidized, I believe WKNO exists by grants and public subscription.

As far as TV is concerned, my favorite programs are home-made DVD of our travels, familymemories, etc.

Bob Wright

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
hittman said:
People still use antennas?
Who knew?! :shock:
I thought they stopped all broadcast tv signals more than a few years ago when they went digital.
Yup. People still use antennas.
Especially people like me that "decline the opportunity" to pay about $2/day for
cable. - - - As the conversion was going on, the FCC mandated the simultaneous
broadcast of a local signal, while they added the signal to cable.

Sides which, anyone (that watches TV) not remember the ad's for "get your TV for
free!", just by purchasing the little gadget they are selling?
(It's a small antenna)

My new antenna ($29) is due in tomorrow.
That way I can return my SIL's antenna that I have been using.

Oh the joys of modern technology. :roll:

P89DC

Single-Sixer
To receive over-the-air TV in my neighborhood takes an external antenna with a 20ft mast. We have high winds so it needs to be sturdy. It runs between $250-350. Or I can subscribe to Locast for $5.50 per month. Does take an internet connection but I already have that.

Chief 101

Hunter
hittman said:

antennaman here, don't make much time for sitting and gazing...if I got to Mt Rushmore I may be inspired to sit idle and watch for a while...btw, I have a tv, an old one, it's heavy and has a large tube to look at.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
hittman said:

I thought they stopped all broadcast tv signals more than a few years ago when they went digital.

They still broadcast TV signals, only they are digital. For awhile free analog to digital were available. We are on broadcast TV now and have been for five years or more. We were soon going to be paying $90 per month for cable TV when the channel we watched the most was free. We now get some 33 channels, though many are informercial only.

Bob Wright

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Saw an interesting blerb on TV today. "RESCAN your TV" and then something to
the effect "we've moved a bunch around". Naturally, they are the ones I usually
watch. - - - Tried that and no change.

SO, I will wait for my new antenna, set it up and try again.
I am somewhat pleased it is just reassigning positions on the "dial".
Now to just find them. :wink:

P.S. Problems seem to come in bunches, just like grapes:
a) Electric shaver is acting up. Started this morning.
b) Like I said, the TV scan is not doing what it should.
c) A/C unit seems to be having problems. Output seems cool enough (about 50*)
but the volume seems low. - - Changed the filter a few minutes ago and went
outside to flush the cooling fins (some dirt, but not huge amounts) . . . We'll see.

sncup

Single-Sixer
With an antenna you need to know where to point it. I use Antennaweb to see where the broadcast stations are in relation to me. enter in your zip code or city name to get directions and antenna needs prodictions

https://www.antennaweb.org/

RSIno1

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
Kevin said:
hittman said:

They still broadcast TV signals, only they are digital.

The digital signal is weaker too. Our travel trailer has as amplified antenna on it. Get's about twice as many stations when the booster is on. You can buy a pretty good amplified antenna from the RV or Boat supply places. We've always been able to get a couple local stations where ever we've camped. I also bought a portable dish but I still need to weld up a bracket to mount it. They had it and the box on sale for $250 and Dish has a deal where you can but the subscription a month at a time so that's handy while on vacation with the grandson.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespeare--seawatch-3019-19-hdtv-antenna--16355786?recordNum=3

https://www.campingworld.com/king-jack-hdtv-directional-antenna-signal-meter-white-104875.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=%7bCampaign%7d&gclid=CjwKCAjw55-HBhAHEiwARMCszkpllTWKIT9HuXKS_uTjBXvfOPR4QA-OEeM6Z3uhYCSRuJwU8stCzBoCrPYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.campingworld.com/dish-playmaker-portable-satellite-antenna-110056.html?cgid=satellite-antennas#start=3&cgid=electronics%2Fsatellites-receivers%2Fsatellite-antennas%2Fportable-satellite-antennas

Sometimes this goes on sale with a free box
https://www.campingworld.com/dish-wally-hd-satellite-receiver-87758.html?cgid=receivers#start=1&cgid=electronics%2Fsatellites-receivers%2Freceivers

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I mentioned that problems come in bunches, like grapes, and what happened?
Power went out at a little after 22:00 last night. Came back on at about 03:00
this morning. - - - Outside temp was 105* as a HUGE wind storm started.
Fortunately the wind was shortly accompanied by rain, totalling .41 inches.
Outside temp went down to 71* as the rain ceased. Inside it only got to 76* so
it was not too bad. - - - The funny part was, as the rain was letting up, the dew
point was only two degrees below the outside temp. :shock:

As to the antenna orientation, the one (out for delivery right now) I have coming
is omini-directional, so I should not have a problem with orientation. That means
it is lower gain, but since I can see (during those few days when it is clear enough)
the broadcast towers, that should not be an issue.

The joys of living in the oven. :roll:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
The joys of living in the oven. :roll:

Hi,

I can't help but question the sanity of those friends who've moved to the Phoenix area the last 10 yrs, only to find ONCE THEY GET THERE it's hot, electric bills are insane when it's hot, there are huge sandstorms (look up "haboob" for some impressive pictures), and everything alive wants to bite, stick, sting or eat you, often with venom attached, You'd think the Chamber of Commerce blocked all access to the information one would want to have when performing one's due diligence prior to moving to such a God forsaken place. Some times, when it comes to picking places to live, I think wild geese are smarter than most people!

So tell us, Pat: who held a gun to your head and made you move? ;)

Rick C

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
So tell us, Pat:
who held a gun to your head and made you move? ;)
My daughter. :D

AND making more than twice what I thought I could get for my CO place.
AND CO going wacko liberal.
AND not needing a "permit" to carry concealed.
AND not needing to shovel snow during the Winter!

Captain America

Buckeye
This video got suggested to me and I thought of this thread…

https://youtu.be/NMKBC93pELE

…kinda interesting.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
SHA . . . . ZAM!

New antenna helped a bit.
Then I remembered the old saying "insanity is always doing what you always did,
and expecting different results". - - - So I started changing ONE parameter on the
TV and doing a rescan. After about a half dozen (change, rescan, then change back)
I hit the one that was the problem.

Went from zero new channels, to 74!
Then spent over a half hour getting rid of the ones (HSN is an example) I have no
use for. I now have all the channels that went away, and a few I didn't know about.
My guess is that I will continue to weed out duplicate transmissions (on different
frequencies) for a while, but I'm happy I have the full assortment available again. :D

wolfsong

Staff member
No matter what apparatus we choose, we go through all of this work and hassle and/or pay exorbitant fees for products that bore us, insult our intelligence, raise our blood pressure, depress us, numb our minds, waste our time. For the most part, anyway. DVDs and DVD players are cheap. A book with music in the background or just music by itself, can be a great distraction. Call an old friend, talk to your spouse, debate with a teenager or millennial - always entertaining, usually informative, can be stimulating. Sit outside (weather permitting), read the Bible, listen to the birds. Hell, take a nap. I much prefer these, and others, to watching television.

Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts