different levels of bluing??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Was in a gunshop looking at new ruger revolvers and made mention that the bluing on some were shinier than others. The guy behind the counter told me they had different levels of bluing from the factory. Thought I would ask the experts if this was true. I have never heard of this. It does seem that the older models seemed to have more luster to them, but I wasn't aware that this was an option.

they changed the formula over the years, as well as the amount of polishing ( finish) more black today , careful though , as often this is a sign of a "reblue", and they will give you the proverbial "story" behind THAT guns production..................

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
I find the new Rugers as having a rather dull blue finish with little to no shine. Can they be buffed to a higher shine?

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
jpb in me,

I just asked this same question in the rimfire section. The post title is: I just picked up a MK II anniversary model. Feel free to check it out. Someone told me that the 50th anniversary model MK II's had more polishing and deeper bluing on them, as compared to the other standard MK II's. I would like to know if this is fact or fiction.

I only have the one MK II. So, I don't have a standard model with which to compare it. I was hoping that there might be someone on here who might own both guns. If you do, then could you look at them both, side-by-side, and tell us if you can notice a difference? I was also wondering if there are any mentions of this topic in print. I have one Ruger book and I don't think it ever mentions different levels of bluing in there. Maybe someone else out there has some good scoop on this topic???? Thanks in advance to those who know (and share).

I know this is the revolver section. However, this is a bluing question. So, it could fit into any Ruger firearms section IMHO. I just didn't want someone to think that I was trying to hijack this thread by bringing up a MK II, that's all.