Different barrel on Ruger No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jims

Bearcat
I have a fairly early model No. 1 that was in .243 caliber. It was later changed to have a muzzleloading .45 caliber barrel on it. I bought it this way. I have the original barrel.
I would like to put on in its place a Ruger No. 1 45-70 barrel. I have two of these. Is this reasonably easily done? Is there a great deal of work/time/expense to rebarrel to the 45-70?
I live in western Ohio, is there a Ruger gunsmith in that area of the country or could most gunsmiths do this?
The two 45-70 barrels are bare to the extent no ejector/extractor. One has the front sight, barrel band but no rear mount. The other barrel has had the front sight removed, barrel band removed, no rear sight and would need reblued.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

wunbe

Buckeye
A muzzle loading #!! Some picts and more detail would be nice. How would the ignition system work?

Why would one do that to a #1?

wunbe

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I've never seen or known of a No.1 'conversion' to a muzzleloader, and wonder if any modifications have been done to your firing pin, extractor, or breechblock? Otherwise you can TRY the 45/70 No.1 (?) barrels to see if they line up (time) with your action and of course if they headspace correctly with the breech block.
But YES it is a good bit of work unless you get lucky with it lining up perfectly timed and torqued just by chance! I'm guessing the extractor is missing, too.
It might be an interesting job for a gunsmith that is not backed up with jobs, but still expensive and time consuming.

jims

Bearcat
If my children or wife can help me post photos I will send. It looks good and shoots better.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
By the way those 45/70 No.1 take off barrels make a good project barrels for Ruger 77 actions if you have a lathe and reamer. Make a 458x2 American or a 450 Marlin on a short action 77.
I finished my 458x2 American Ruger 77 Mark II about 2 months before Marlin and Hornady announced their new 450 Marlin cartridge.

jims

Bearcat
Buckeye Bill was kind enough to post a photo of my muzzleloader built around the Ruger No. 1 action. I bought the rifle used, I believe the barrel to be a Douglas barrel, it is a .45 barrel.
I have the original wood and Ruger red recoil pad saved and the factory .243 barrel. A fellow had the wood on another No. 1. He made the stock out of a piece of air dried American walnut that grew in a fence row in western Indiana. I had the recoil pad added to add some length as it was a bit short for me.
I had thought I might add a 45-70 barrel as my daughters like to shoot the MZ but do not like to load or maintain it. It uses 209 primers in the breechplug. Just something different.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Steve Durren at Johnsons Sporting Goods Adrian MI is as good as they come with Ruger #1's. I have several he has done for me. He's a professional member of the ACGG.
517 265 2545, 9-5 M-F

MI-shooter

wunbe

Buckeye
I bet reloading that MZ in the field is a chore. Carrying around a loose rod and all.

And cleaning off all that pesky BP residue from the insides of a Ruger #1 with pretty wood also has inherent aggravations.

But for the novelty of it, I'd keep it with the old wood and build a new one around the pretty wood in 45 -70.

It may even be cheaper to do so. And you'd have two rifles. Or sell the MZ to someone interested in its uniqueness and pay for the new build that way.

just spitballin...

wunbe

jims

Bearcat
Generally we hunt out of a fixed stand so no attached ramrod is not a real concern. This is a smokeless muzzleloader so there is not the build up of residue as heavily as with black powder or the substitutes.
Someday I may go back to the original .243 as that barrel should match back up more easily and I can use the original stock and forearm and red recoil pad. A bit of a problem, the receiver has some sort of covering on it now, unsure if the bluing under it remains.