Differences in early .41 BHs vs. the current offering....?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brad W

Bearcat
I believe the cylinders were counter bored for the case rim earlier on with the new models and there is the safety warning stamped on the barrels that I personally hate.

Early could refer to the old models or first of the new models. IMHO the earlier new models had a better fit and finish and easier trigger than the Blackhawks made in the past 20 years. I've read some that say the more recent guns have an inproved trigger feel but cant't say myself, 'cause I don't have anything that belongs in a plastic box, yet.
Old Models are much smoother and feel different than the transfer bar guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as mentioned all the above things are true. But to me,, just the feel of an OM action is so much better. Plus,, they are easier to work on.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
...and like a durned fool, I sold my "unfired" 3-screw to a very nice fella over in Louisiana. Wonder what I was thinking...
The money is gone already and I don't have that fine gun.
Sonnytoo

Axehandle

Buckeye
I love the character of my 3 screw guns but..... A NM Ruger after a going over by a good gunsmith doesn't give up a thing.... Makes a true 6 shot gun too...

SAJohn

Hunter
With the hammer down the NM trigger is too far forward. When cocked, the hammer is ugly. The transfer bar and the spring loaded cylinder pin slightly decrease the reliability of the revolver. The cylinder indexing of most NMs sucks.

Axehandle

Buckeye
The come in that nasty ole stainless too! :D
001-43.jpg

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Good stuff!
I took what I have learned here and somehow managed to work a deal on three OMs late this morning...

1) .357 Flat-top with 6.5" barrel - 98% gun (1962)

2) .22 Single-Six with flat-gate - 95% gun (1956)

3) .41 Magnum with 6.5" barrel - 98% gun (four digit s/n 1965)

I'm still pinching myself.

Pics to follow.

Bob

Axehandle

Buckeye
Outstanding! Don't take my NM positive note as anything anti OM... My safe is FULL of OM Rugers.... I like them box stock but they make wonderful customs too! Below are my Bowen and Harton Super Blackhawks.. Cut to 5.5 with custom front sights Bowen target rear sights, steel EJR housings, and all the internal massaging you would expect. Fishpaw Dall Sheep horn grips on the Harton and Ajax Sambar Stag grips on the Bowen..

004-42.jpg

Bucks Owin

Hunter
VonFatman":1r27mls5 said:
Other than the obvious 3rd screw & preferred lock-work in early guns....

What differences would encourage me to buy an early gun over one of the current offerings?

Features....not my normal bias towards the older guns.

Bob
Collecter value for one!

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Thanks guys!

I am pumped up to get this gun. It's a fairly low numbered gun 17xx.

Should be a keeper. No box but it's got three pretty screws and I trust an action to go with those screws.

It'll be my first .41 Ruger.

I have a number of S&W .41s...so I'll have plenty of ammo on hand. The 6 1/2" barrel will make hitting those targets a lot easier!!

Axehandle.
It's always great to peak at your customized revolvers!! Beautiful!!

Bob

Otony

Blackhawk
I just picked up a pre-warning New Model .41 magnum from Glen today. Can't comment on the factory trigger pull, 'cause ithis one has obviously had work done to it, but I can say that the finish is much nicer than most later Blackhawks. It would seem they took another step or two in the polishing department back then.

Ya gotta love .41 mags! I have a Flattop, this Blackhawk, and the Marlin 1894, all so chambered. Now I am thinking hard about doing up a mid-frame .41, either using a 50th .357 or a .357 New Vaquero.

Brad W

Bearcat
I think that's great (getting a nice 3 screw). I took a pre-warning new model and made a few modifications to make a nice packing gun which is something I wouldn't do to a 3 screw. Adding a Super blkhawk hammer & trigger, free spin pawl, Grips, new base pin and rear sight made it a little better for me (I'd post pics but haven't spent the time to figure it out yet). Sounds like you scored pretty good on those you picked up, I'm always on the lookout in my area for old models.