Differences in 480 Ruger data between Hornady and Speer manu

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PythonMan

Bearcat
Just getting setup to reload for my new SBH Bisley 480 Ruger and I scored a box of 250 325gr JHPs and bought Starline brass. Anyhow today I decided to load a couple of boxes of not so super hot loads just to get accustomed to the gun and to see how she prints on target. Was looking at starting loads for 325 JHPs using 2400 in the Speer manual I have and it shows 23gr topping out at 25gr for the max load.
In my Hornady manual for the same caliber with 325gr JHP and 2400 it shows a starting load of 16.6gr and tops out at 22.5gr for the same weight JHP. Is the Hornady manual too low? I settled upon 18gr of 2400 out of an abundance of caution, but it seems like that's going to amount to a powder puff load.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

grobin

Blackhawk
Two bullets of the same weight but different manufactures will produce different velocities. (Velocity is a decent indicator of pressures.) Thus, unless the: bullet, brass, primer as well as the powder are identical differences are to be expected. Starting low and working up your load is always good practice. Hopefully you have a good chronograph to guide you.

98Redline

Blackhawk
You will find differences in max loads in different loading manuals even for the same bullet/powder combo.
This is one reason why we start low and work up to max loads.

As grobin noted, two different bullets, even of the same weight can have a different shape and result in more or less bearing surface in the barrel. This can alter the pressure and ultimately the max charge weight. This is why you can have 2 325gr bullets and a different charge weight. The same is true for hard cast lead bullets vs. jacketed.

PythonMan

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I totally understand the differences in charge weights-for different brands or types of bullets. I also understand some load data is obtained by the use of test barrels rather than actual firearms. But I never saw a 7 gr spread between starting charges of a given powder for a similar bullet. I have seen 3-4 gr. Well we shall see how the gun behaves with the loads I made up. And no, it's no use for me to have a chronograph since none of my ranges let's me use one anymore.

grobin

Blackhawk
I understand the range objection to a sky screen type; but none of the ranges that I know of has any problem with the LabRadar (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph, on sale for $509) nor the MagnetoSpeed.

PythonMan

Bearcat
grobin said:
I understand the range objection to a sky screen type; but none of the ranges that I know of has any problem with the LabRadar (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph, on sale for $509) nor the MagnetoSpeed.
Thank you sir for the heads up! I would love to be able to use one of these.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The different 'starting' loads are pretty much irrelevant. Check velocity and then pressure to see what you got with both loads.

XTP bullets are almost always different in charge from most other jacketed bullets.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Also , note the recommended overall loaded cartridge length. Some bullets have two
Crimp grooves and seating depth greatly changes starting loads and pressures.

K1500

Single-Sixer
I have noticed most manuals are pretty close except some Hornady data. If I recall correctly their WW231 data for a .45ACP 230gr FMJ is way lower than everyone else.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

First thing that comes to mind with Hornady is what Jimbo mentioned: is their data for XTP bullets? I've seen some data where they were reasonably close to others of the same weight, but then there have also been some recipes with a pretty big spread...

Rick C

PythonMan

Bearcat
Yes the Hornady data in my manual for 325 gr is for XTP bullets in 480. The JHPs I had were a bit of a mystery. They were boxed by a local sports place and they had a label made up saying they were Rainier JHPs. They didn't appear plated nor shiney. I did weigh them to make sure the weight was 325 gr.

Anyhow I shot them through the SBH today and they were strong but pleasantly controllable and very accurate. Then I fired off a box of Factory Hornady XTP 325s. fluffy kittens cats all of them. Very accurate with a good jump in power but recoil was tolerable with my bare hand. No bleeding or gouging or anything like that. I think I found my favorite big bore round.

Too funny, I wrote something else but fluffy kittens was substituted lol. Oh well.

dougader

Hunter
Love the 480. I've only been shooting lead; no factory loads. 370, 395 hp loaded with 231 or Blue Dot.

Enigma

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
The different 'starting' loads are pretty much irrelevant. Check velocity and then pressure to see what you got with both loads.

XTP bullets are almost always different in charge from most other jacketed bullets.

My understanding is that this is due to their jacket thickness. They are intended to expand more easily than some other brands, and have thinner jackets. I've never actually sectioned one to compare it to a comparable bullet from another manufacturer, but that's what I've been told.