Difference in Six-series “feel,” reg vs. heavy barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello, all-

A few members have posted pics in threads to help a neophyte (like me) distinguish between a regular and "heavy" barrel in the Six-series double-action revolvers. I can generally spot the difference now, even though I virtually never see examples locally. THANK YOU for the help!

Here's my question: in a four-inch barrel, how noticeable is the weight difference or balance really going to be (either in shooting, or in carrying)? Does anybody know the weight difference, off the top of their head?

I had a six-inch Security-Six, back in the early 1990s. I suspect it was the regular barrel profile, though at the time I did not even know there were different profiles. I now have a Speed-Six with 2-3/4" barrel.

I'm eventually looking to add a 4" Security-Six (or maybe a Service-Six?) to my collection.

I'm torn between trying to find a heavy barrel, vs. just buying the first nice one I find. I seem to have convinced myself that I'd "like" a heavy barrel. However, if I buy a regular barrel and just shoot it, it's quite possible that I'll never know the difference. :p

On the other hand, if(?) I have my heart set on a heavy barrel, maybe I should wait until just the "right" example comes along. If I buy a regular barrel now, a heavy barrel isn't likely to be any easier to find in another 10 or 20 years.

FWIW, the gun might see some limited field carry, but would mostly be a range piece. It would not be a CCW piece.

Thanks for any help. Discuss. :mrgreen:

Since no one has responded I thought I'd throw out some stuff.
To begin with I'd have to guess that the majority of gun people out there have no idea there are two sizes of barrels out there.
Of those that do, they would need to compare guns side by side to know the difference.
It would seem reasonable to think the HB would have less recoil, but I'd be surprised if most people would know the difference without knowing which gun was which going in. Frankly these guns are hard enough to find, that to begin with I'd take what I could find if it was what I wanted, regards to condition, blue vs stainless, barrel length, price, etc. Once you have one take some time to find the other. Then decide.

THANK YOU, Jack! It was starting to feel lonely out here... :p

Lots of thoughtful, solid advice crammed into your answer.

At this particular point, it's sort of "pie in the sky" daydreaming, anyway.

I'm not really "between guns," but rather "between money!" :mrgreen:

Cholo

Staff member
In '78 or so I went looking for a 4" SS with a heavy barrel. It took awhile, but I found one in April of '79 for $192 + tax and bought it. It's logged countless miles in the woods and is still like new. I have loads of Rugers, but only 2 double actions; this is one. I like the heavy barrel that much.

I just think that they look better. It's maybe 1oz. heavier overall, but every little bit helps, especially up front. It's obvious when you look at the barrel profile as it relates to the front sight.

You really will not notice the difference in the regular and "heavy" barrel on a 4" Six series revolver. The difference is a matter of a few ounces. It's not like adding barrel weights to a competition gun to help steady it (think high end .22 competition guns like Hammerli's, High Standards, etc.) As BPJ said, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference in recoil unless you had the setup to measure it accurately.

Once you see one side by side with a standard barrel, and study it a bit, it is then very easy to spot them, even if you are just casually walking by a table at a gun show.

I'll look around and see if I have some info to determine the weight difference but I know it's not that much. (or I'll get one of each out of my collection and weigh them, without grips, to get the true weight of just the metal).

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Muzzle diameter. No mistaking one for the other once the muzzle is examined.

The std barrel is by no means a lightweight, but it is very noticeable after a few hours in a belt holster. A S&W M15 it ain't (a favorite woods sidearm here), but there's no reason to carry extra ounces of steel up the mountain.
Yeah, I've owned a few... :wink:

unionprez

Single-Sixer
Uncle Howie:

I have a Service Six, Speed Six and Security Six, all stainless and all with 4" barrels. The Service Six has a heavy barrel and they all shoot the same (very accurate) with the same loads. I have carried all of them at one time or another hiking in the Rockies in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado and don't notice really any difference in the weight of carrying them.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I'm reading a 1981 fold out catalog. Are all 4" Security Sixes Heavy barrel? This says Model 117 RDA-34-H and HT. 4 ". Blue. Model 717 GA-34-H and HT. 4" barrel. Stainless Steel. It does not list a 4" as a standard weight barrel

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The first .357 I shot, in 1979, belonged to my brother. A blue, 4" model. I do not own a 4" Security Six. So, I'm not sure of the difference. But, I would like to hear from owners here.

Cholo

Staff member
The heavy barrel Security Sixes came out in '79. In the early 80's they came out with a different profile heavy barrel. My understanding is they were offered with both the standard and the heavy barrel, though I sure saw a lot of heavy barrels in the last several years of production.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Thanks Cholo! 1981 was my first fold out catalog. I have most years, but some are unopened. Anyway, my 6" Security Sixes are 157-xxxxx 1981 My 2 3/4" is 1983 year. I don't suppose I have ever seen a Heavy barrel model. Not sure what they look like. The 4" I shot was in 1979,, so, it wasn't that type.

diffy40

Single-Sixer
I have two 4" Security Sixes, both are blue; 160-813XX heavy barrel & 152-803XX Standard barrel. I can't tell any weight difference shooting them. I got them out today and measured them. Heavy barrel .689" diameter at the muzzle & .768" at the breach. Standard barrel is .606" at the muzzle & .701 at the breach. Not a lot of difference but if you look close you can tell the difference. I don't have scales that weigh close enough to say about the weight.