Did ruger ever make a red label all weather w/ wood stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
I consider myself well versed in the red label on most accounts (8 currently in the safe) and I very well could be wrong in this. I do not believe Ruger ever made a all weather stainless red label in anything other than a synthetic stock, am I wrong? I purchased a all weather stainless that someone had camouflaged at home with spray paint from a pawn shop for $500. This all started when I discovered the butt stock was cracked at the mounting holes inside the butt stock. I have thought about sending it into Ruger and having them take it back to factory and add a set of red label walnut stocks to it as the synthetics are no longer available. Supposedly the extra synthetic stocks where ground up by someone and the molds have been lost to time. Then I came across this one!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874798640

Called Ruger this one left the factory in 2002 as a stainless receiver with blued barrels. So this is obviously not the unicorn, but my question still remains...
Did Ruger ever produce a factory red label all weather stainless with wood stocks?

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>Did Ruger ever produce a factory red label all weather stainless with wood stocks?<<

I've never seen one and I'd think that would defeat the whole "all weather" aspect of it. 8)

jjas

Single-Sixer
Regardless of how it came to be, the polished stainless with walnut furniture is a great looking combination IMO.

I've got a friend who owns a 28 gauge Red Label that I've tried to buy on multiple occasions, but I can't convince him to sell it to me.

Maybe someday.

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
I agree with regard to defeating the purpose of "all weather" status. Yes it does look good shiny non blued steel and polished stainless receiver. That gunbroker item sold for $2,426.00. Naturally I am strongly considering doing it to mine and flipping it for a pretty penny. Was curious as to if one was ever produced as I can find no mention of Ruger or a dealer exclusive ever being created. Thanks again

chet15

Hawkeye
That is not an All Weather gun. It is a full stainless 12 gauge Red Label with walnut. I had heard Ruger had the 4140 model number assigned, but don't believe I've ever seen an example. It might have been a short run for one of their distributors.
The key is in the catalog number on the box end label...
KRLW-1226-BR.
"K" = stainless
"RL" = Red Label
"W" = Walnut
"12" = 12 Gauge
"26" = 26 barrels
"BR" = BRiley choke tubes.
Chet15

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
Chet, any idea why ruger would have it listed as a blued barrel w/ stainless receiver via the serial number? 2002 was not that long ago after all that records would be lost. The label on this one seems very strange given it overlaps with another label under it. While the bottom label seems to match from what I can read on it. I have heard Ruger will reprint labels if it is requested under certain conditions. I have never seen a Ruger leave the factory with a duplicate label under it quite like that. Seems like it would have failed inspection immediately. Still learning obviously, but too much seemed incorrect for me to even look at it with interest. Looked like a $1200 red label that someone decided to customize on there own. While it is ascetically appealing, it sounds like a 800-1000 red label given my experience.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ozarkhawg said:
Chet, any idea why ruger would have it listed as a blued barrel w/ stainless receiver via the serial number? 2002 was not that long ago after all that records would be lost. The label on this one seems very strange given it overlaps with another label under it. While the bottom label seems to match from what I can read on it. I have heard Ruger will reprint labels if it is requested under certain conditions. I have never seen a Ruger leave the factory with a duplicate label under it quite like that. Seems like it would have failed inspection immediately. Still learning obviously, but too much seemed incorrect for me to even look at it with interest. Looked like a $1200 red label that someone decided to customize on there own. While it is ascetically appealing, it sounds like a 800-1000 red label given my experience.

I just checked Ruger's serial number webpage and don't see where you are seeing that Ruger said it was listed as blue barrels. I've seen other labels on top of others... something to do with how Ruger does things sometimes. the only thing the label on the end does is tell the record keeper what gun it is before it leaves the factory.
And yes, the high polish finish is not original to this shotgun.
Chet15

Ozarkhawg

Bearcat
Chet, called Ruger and gave them the serial number, the ever lovely and beautiful Ruger ladies told me it left the factory with blued barrels. Apparently the system is not up to date I am guessing! I did get to speak with the gentlemen over the shotgun repair department a couple weeks back. Gave him the serial number as he could not recall Ruger ever sending out a all stainless gun with wood stocks out the door either. He looked it up and sure enough was just as shocked as I am that it apparently is a legit unicorn red label! I am ever so glad I thought it was fake or I would have been on it hard and heavy, might not have gotten in but would have given it the ol' college try by God! Thanks for the knowledge chet, I need to start watching the catalog numbers better, I really should have caught that.