Did I make a mistake ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

308longdistance

Blackhawk
In not pursuing this Flattop more than I did?

SN 260

This gun was sent back to Ruger for the safety conversion, reblueing, and serial number is stamped on the cylinder face….

Gun sold for $780, as seen no extras.

pix834420015.jpg

mike722

Buckeye
well, it sold for about half of a 3-digit gun price..that is, a nice, original, unmolested, 95 percent or better 3 digit, with no conversion and proper grips.. I think the price was about right for what it is now, but I wouldn't think it was a bargain..expensive shooter/project gun..

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
I Bid on it too, ran ya up a ways anyways 308LD :D I forgot about it, I figure its got to be worth at least $1000 after putting the parts back in it and a nicer Grip frame. Heck they only made 899 3 digit guns. And just look how pretty that plum frame is.

Dan

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Tucsonite":gsw0d5wt said:
I Bid on it too, ran ya up a ways anyways 308LD :D I forgot about it, I figure its got to be worth at least $1000 after putting the parts back in it and a nicer Grip frame. Heck they only made 899 3 digit guns. And just look how pretty that plum frame is.

Dan

PLUS ONE! 8)

flatgate

Hawkeye
That pic just ain't right. It's distorted........and, no, I've not been sniffing Hoppe's #9 again!
I think the price was decent. How often does a guy even see a 3 digit
Flattop for sale?

I found s/n 636 at a gun show almost 20 years ago and begged, borrowed and whined until I found the money from some friends at the show.....

flatgate

308longdistance

Blackhawk
I figured with my bid plus shipping I'd have $800 into it. Not a bargain, but I could live with it. Now, I don't know.

Chance

Buckeye
Not being a collector I don't know anything about the actual value, but that is such a nice piece I wouldn't care about non-standard stuff if it was anywhere near my price range. Am a sucker for plum frames like that.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey I think most of the 2xx guns were factory reblues......lots of the "HIGH POLISH" guns are in this range.....GOOD THING it was listed as #206 actually or I would have needed to chase it a little harder.....seems #261 is vacationing in Utah.....as for the price WELL go to any show and see what a beat up ol FT is going for and it ain't NO 3 digit....I think this gun will turn out REAL NICE....kinda wish it had been #260 :D :D :D see ya RR.

I agree with most of the posts above, it is still a 3 digit gun, yes, the value of a reblued gun puts them around 60 % of 'bluebook' but then thats "average' guns, NOT a 3 digit...and as Radical says, and we have seen ourselves, MANY of the guns of that vintage ,era, were redone at the factory, AT THE FACTORYS REQUEST........due to the discoloration ( plum) of the castings, that's a 'fact'........that was the reason we see those "high polished" guns...and no matter that they would have been 'redone", they still would turn 'plum'...nature of the beast....yep. put the correct parts back in it and it's a very fair price...it is, what it is.........I think it's a NICE gun, and the vast majority of you would take it........

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Good info here. I wasn't to concerned about the conversion, it's the re-blue that gave me pause, had I known just a few days ago what I know now. Still, there are no guaranties I would have been the high bidder.

Yes, the SN was 206, I confused it with the Ruger No.1 that's out there, SN 260.

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: Only reason you own that gun is cuz I didn't see it soon enough! RB...Oh yea and that part where she says not one more dime till you sell one of those you say you can and where's my Elk meat???