Dialing in the deer hunting load, 45Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think that I am getting closer to what I want to use for hunting in some thick swampy areas this coming whitetail season, where I can keep shots under 50 yards. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I gotta practice more, but I've also kinda hit the bottom limit of adjustment on my rear sight on my 7.5" NM Blackhawk, so the next step is to creatively add some height to the front sight - I think that somewhere around .060 - .080" might be enough to get me where I'd like to be. It is a blued model, so no easy front ramp swap out, and until I am sure of using heavier loads in this gun on a regular basis I am not ready to have a gunsmith make a replaceable front blade for it..yet.

I had messed with my sights using some lower power loads a while ago, so I ended up "walking down" my rear sight with prospective deer hunting load #1 (19.8grn 2400, Hornady 250grn XTP, Starline case, WLP primer). At 25 yards, and 6 oclock hold they were finally landing consistently close to the mark, but I had almost no vertical adjustment left. I had chrono'ed a batch of these a little while ago and was getting 1150 FPS.

Another load I've been tweaking is 9.5grn Unique with a Cast PErformance 265grn LFNGC bullet. It has potential to be accurate, and is easier shooting, but it is running just over 1000 FPS and I definitely need more front sight for it - I was basically holding almost dead on the lower bullseye by the end to place the shots just below the upper bullseye - again at 25 yards.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share in case it was of any interest.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If your 2400 load is running 1150fps and just a little high why not just dial that back a little to get right on target? Seems like a winner to me. I like my rear sight low so it doesn't snag on anything. :D

sixshot

Buckeye
I build my front sights up with JB weld, then file it down until I'm centered, then paint it white first & then bright orange or green. You can always take it off if you're not happy.

Dick

The 2400 load is grouping well at this loading, which is just above the starting load in the manual. I don't need to go faster or have more recoil drama for non-armor plated deer, but at lower powder charge weights the groups weren't nearly as good and there were more powder granules left. On a subsequent target with the sights already cranked down, I was getting a single ragged ~2 inch hole for a cylinder's worth (1 flyer that was purely my fault tho). I'd like to not be at the limit of my adjustability range and still have it shooting a bit high at that distance. And, I'd also really like to try to get the slightly heavier lead cast load at least a few inches closer to POA/POI.

A red Dot sight would probably do the trick, and eventually I may have to go that route as my eyesight degrades, but I'm hoping to not have to bolt on any glass to my sixguns yet - I save the glass for my rifles for now.
For initial experimenting, I think I may try some epoxy anda small piece of flat brass bar stock on the front sight.