Derelicts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

singleshot

Single-Sixer
Several years ago I came across a No. 1 RSI that had been abused and neglected. After a trip back to Ruger for a rebluing and refinishing the furniture myself, I had beautiful new member for my collection at a fraction of the cost of a rifle in similar condition.

Yesterday a 130 prefix No. 1 V followed me home. She's got a serious case of surface rust on one side of the receiver right where the buttstock mates up and various spots on the underside of the barrel; but nothing that Ruger can't polish out and reblue.

I am still deciding on what direction to take with this rifle. The .22-250 early/mid-70' model isn't exact a hens tooth, so a caliber/model change might be in order. Although, I don't have a V in the stable either, so I guess I have a decision to make before I send it off. The rifle came with no furniture, so I'd have to round up a V forearm to put it back to the original configuration.

It is sporting the narrow scope bases positioned in the near and outer hole sets (three sets of holes). I'm not familiar with the V's so these scope bases are a novelty to me :lol: .

until I figure out the changes flickr did, I can only post links to the photos... Sorry

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11918075@N06/31604470933/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11918075@N06/31604471073/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11918075@N06/31604471023/in/dateposted-public/

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
If the serial number is around 5000 or less, it probably has a Douglas premium barrel, so that's something to consider when deciding to rebarrel or not.
My 1V 22-250 from 1970 is a shooter, so I would never rebarrel it.

singleshot

Single-Sixer
Good point about the barrel, I hadn't thought of that.

130-11974

I'm going to call Ruger Monday to get the info I need to send it in. I was considering using one of the buttstocks I have at the house, but I may have them refit it and roll the dice on the wood.

So many decisions, so little money :cry:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
In that case, I'd be tempted to rebarrel or rebore to 308 Win., after it comes back from Ruger, of course ;-)

I never understood why they never made the 1V in 308, even for a year or two. And yes, before someone has to post, I am aware of the single non-prefix example.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Very well could of been a saltwood gun. Damage is in all the "right" spots. Would also explain lack of wood. Previous owner probable discovered the problem and chose wisely to not put the wood back on. Now if they would oiled it up better things might not of gotten as ugly.

wunbe

Buckeye
That most definitely is a salt gun probably made @ 1976. Many -- most?-- were of that vintage but the wood could have stayed in inventory for years.

I had one I bought used that looked normal until you you looked very close at the metal edges. Ruger had 'made it right' by replacing almost all the internal parts, repolishing $ rebluing the metal and then they resealed the wood and returned it! (I found the Ruger work order in the box. Ruger did not then and will not now admit to salt wood problems but they will go some lengths to make ammends to the original owner.) I tested the wood with silver nitrate and it came up milky white again so I threw it out and restocked it.

A warning. You may well have rust on internal parts too. Strip it down to see,

wunbe

singleshot

Single-Sixer
I've given it a cursory look-see and there is definitely surface rust on some of the internals on one side, but none on the other. I also agree that the damage is very similar to pictures I've seen of the salt wood issue.

I'm going to give Ruger a call in a few to start the process of a service trip.

If memory serves, when I sent in the RSI a few years ago they contacted me about what they could do with what I had sent them. If the same holds true, I might see about having the OEM barrel reblued and then having a new barrel installed to a larger caliber that I could use for hunting deer/bear (configuration unknown at this time).

Maybe they've got a oddball V barrel that an employee punched out and never used. :lol:

Well see what they are willing to do at that time.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
They definitely will NOT rebarrel your rifle to anything except what it originally left the factory as,and then, only if they determine that there's a condition issue that warrants rebarreling.