Defensive shooting from retention

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It would be nice if any conflict like this would be just like in the movies and on TV. I suspect, and hope to never know for sure, that the reality is it will not be like that and a very gray area. It's kind of like the idea of it's easier to let someone rob you for a couple dollars than to resist... the problem I have with that is you have to one degree enabled that person and contributed to the next time they rob someone. Before I became an old fat out of shape white guy I never felt in danger no matter where I was... I probably was delusional, but that's just the way I lived my life with the idea I could take care of myself. Part of me is still that way and the reason I carry is for the protection of others not me. Heck, I've already cheated death more times than I can count... twice in 2019, and so I know it is right around the corner what ever that means.

dweis

Blackhawk
A couple decades ago I trained tu adopt the a Center Axis Relock (CAR) system. You never get you arme extended vdry much, It is designed for close quarter battle. It is a bladed stance from which you can fire from the waste quickly. There is a brief article that explains its fundamentals here: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/can-center-axis-relock-make-faster-safer-accurate/

There is much more to it than explained in the article. It is a CQB system not a stance. I began training in it because my inoperable rotator cuff injury makes it difficult for me to maintain steadiness when my arms are extended. There are some good videos about it on YouTube.

We have to face that things happen beyond our control. Pushing off with the offside hand while rotating the gun away from the person while gaining control of the gun if possible. You never know what or when things will happen.

The four day defensive hand gun class I've take 5 times (can't make this stuff up) always had one at the ready with the gun out in front held with two hands and pointed down.... the class I took recently that was taught by two LEO's who train other LEO's had you hold the pistol right against your side with the idea this was the place it is the hardest for someone to take it away from you or even redirect it.... this seemed a lot more practical to me... the same as when dealing with a malfunction or reloading this was done with the pistol directly in front of your face not down low... for the simple reason you are technically still looking past the pistol for any danger and seeing what is going on.

Softair or Simunition force on force training will show 90% of people how badly they will fail in any actual encounter. Fortunately it's something you can do with a few friends and a few softairs..

jack black

Blackhawk
All this is well and dandy.
How many are old fat ,out of shape and sick.
Dreaming of the days when you could actually MOVE AROUND will not help now.
IMHO
Best Wishes

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Softair or Simunition force on force training will show 90% of people how badly they will fail in any actual encounter. Fortunately it's something you can do with a few friends and a few softairs..
I worked Armed Security at a Power Plant and we did Force on Force training against ex-SF guys who worked for the Dept of Energy

It showed me how chaotic and confusing gunfights are and how easy it is to die, and how hard it is to stop a well trained threat

Also , friendly fire was disturbingly common. An often overlooked aspect is, watching out for the "other good guys with guns" because it's not always easy to tell who is who. You may be on point but you have to worry about the person with 0 skills or training panic dumping a mag of .380 into your back with their Taurus in the chaos of a public shooting

All this is well and dandy.
How many are old fat ,out of shape and sick.
Dreaming of the days when you could actually MOVE AROUND will not help now.
IMHO
Best Wishes
That's why I am adding optics and lasers. I can easily take a head shot at 25yds with my pocket pistol meaning minute of bad guy at 100yds all day. A laser will let me safely take the top off the head in a hostage shot as well. You can adapt and overcome or sink into helplessness. Just a few years ago I had no problem wading into dozens of people wishing me harm now not so much.

I find YT TacticalHive videos useful. About five weeks ago I took a class and we practiced shooting from retention and then moving back or back and off center acquiring sights and firing a couple of more shots. We started just a bit more than arms distance from the target Years ago I went to Thunder Ranch, Client Smith was the instructor, and we started firing up next to the target, firing at a downward angle and moving back like in the video. Probably not a good time to have a comp on the gun! I more fully appreciated the power of the gun firing and not wanting to be the recipient of those bullets coming out of the gun not all that far from my face. Also it caused me to think that up that close, maybe hands on, a revolver may be a better tool if there is only one BG to deal with.

jack black

Blackhawk
That's why I am adding optics and lasers. I can easily take a head shot at 25yds with my pocket pistol meaning minute of bad guy at 100yds all day. A laser will let me safely take the top off the head in a hostage shot as well. You can adapt and overcome or sink into helplessness. Just a few years ago I had no problem wading into dozens of people wishing me harm now not so much.
Where and why would you be killing someone at 25 or 100 yds. out? If you are in law enforcement I could understand .

Where and why would you be killing someone at 25 or 100 yds. out? If you are in law enforcement I could understand .
You never know what might need shooting? Having the confidence to take the shot is what's important. Dog, Bear, Wild Boar etc. I have woods and grands now. I'm not going to be chasing anyone down. Somebody grabs your Grandbaby and starts running. What are you going to do??? Me I'll be lining up on a part of their body without part of my loved one behind and take the shot. We don't plan to fail we fail to plan.

The whole shooting from retention exercise is pretty much for engaging someone who is already in contact. You have to get enough room between you to even access your firearm. You may even have to fall to the ground to get that room.

jack black

Blackhawk
So someone grabs your gran baby ands runs and YOU are going to shoot a running individual as he heads away with one of your loved ones.

Thank you all I need to know.

Best Wishes

So someone grabs your gran baby ands runs and YOU are going to shoot a running individual as he heads away with one of your loved ones.

Thank you all I need to know.

Best Wishes
Considering the possibility of me chasing anyone down it's the only option. It's nice to know that I can do it with what I carry every day. I suppose a man needs to know his limitations. I suppose you could wave bye bye.