Deerstalker stock repair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Not long ago I acquired a '66 Ruger .44 carbine and as is often the case with these carbines the stock has a small crack on the belly side forward of the trigger assembly, it has been repaired but don't know by whom and how well it was done.
Also has a chunk missing in the toe of the butt where it meets the butt plate. I've been searching for a replacement but they're rare as hens teeth and to make it more difficult it has the Mannlicher stock which is ultra rare and no luck there either.

At this time think Im interested in probably getting the stock professionally repaired. Anyone know someone real good who might even specialize in these Ruger carbine stock repairs, sales? No idea what the repairs cost but interested in saving the rare Mannlicher stock from further damage.
Still looking for a used regular carbine stock to save wear and tear on the Mannlicher if anyone has a lead. Thanks for any suggestions

contender

Ruger Guru
Maybe look for a person who makes replacement stocks. I think "sixshot" (Dick) might know somebody who has a stock duplicating machine & does custom stocks.
Dick has had problems with computer issues & logging on here. So contacting him via this place is out. BUT,, if you got to the single actions proboards forum, (Lee Martin's site,) you can find him over there. He goes by sixshot there too.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Thank you Contender, I'll try and track him down.

anybody else have a suggestion, more options are always welcomed, feel free to post up, thanks

well we found out years ago, when there were MORE of the 44s floating around that there is a difference in the inlay ( how they fit) among the early and later models.they do NOT interchange... if I recall it was mainly in front around the gas tube system,,,better to find a GOOD stock maker to fill( reinforce) repair the stock you have,,,they are out there.......(y)

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Google "gun stock repair", there are quite a few options.
I understand there are lots of options out there, I was interested in forum members here opinions who maybe had dealings with or know someone who did and was pleased.

Last edited:

jyo

Single-Sixer
Good wood repair guys are out there---check with local gunsmiths who do good work---if they don't do wood work, they may know someone who does---try to keep it local...