Deerfield magazine problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Frequently, my magazine will literally DROP OUT of my rifle as I shoot. At first I thought I was somehow pushing the mag release...not the case. Has anyone had a similar experience and, most importantly, does anyone have a solution???

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a Deerfield and sometimes the magazine latch hangs-up if I push the release button too hard, and then when I re-insert a magazine it will be loose in the gun. I have not had one drop out and now I am careful not to push the release button hard enough to make it hang-up. I can see the little ball joint get stuck in there when I work the mechanism with the mag out but I haven't taken it apart to fix it yet. Because mine is fairly new I am waiting to see if it works itself out. I did put a couple of drops of oil on the parts and it seemed to help. :shock:

DeerfieldL.jpg

...Jimbo

Limitby9

Bearcat
I had problems similiar to Jimbo. Sticking and not releasing. I did not have the "fall out" problems. The instructions say you should insert the magazine with the bolt locked back. I tried the clean and lube solution - no luck. I ordered replacement parts from Midway for the latch assembly and plunger and that fixed my sticking problems. The new parts were slightly different than the original. My 99/44 was in the first 2000 made. The trigger assembly can be a bear to re-assemble, so pay attention to how the parts fit or get one of the Wood's after market books on repair. The plunger can be re-inserted backwards, so be careful.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Limitby9":1x1drao4 said:
The instructions say you should insert the magazine with the bolt locked back.

Yeah, I tried that, and it works fine if you don't bump the bolt handle while trying to put the mag in and have that thing snap shut on one of your fingers. After a couple of close calls I now install the magazine with the bolt closed, and then rack the bolt before I start shooting. :D

...five finger Jimbo

mattsbox99

Hunter
Jeez Jimbo does the Deerfield really knock your socks off that bad? I like mine a lot, but that really takes the cake!

The magazine will fall out if the stock screw gets loose, make sure its tight and your magazine should stay in just fine.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mattsbox99":11rgnynr said:
Jeez Jimbo does the Deerfield really knock your socks off that bad? I like mine a lot, but that really takes the cake!

The magazine will fall out if the stock screw gets loose, make sure its tight and your magazine should stay in just fine.
I can fix that smarty. :wink: :D

DeerfieldL-1.jpg

...well almost. :D

...Jimbo