Deer Processing Saltwater Soak?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I knew an old guy(old as in pre-refrigeration)who claimed his family always wiped a carcass with salt. My thought was: this is an 'old timer' solution to help prevent flies from laying eggs during warm weather butchering.

nekvermont

Blackhawk
My Grandmother told me that when she was young, she worked at an Inn, that always had deer hanging in the cellar. They served these deer to their guest after scraping the mold off.

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
I normally don’t soak deer but one year I shot one and it was about 80 degree out. So we gutted ,skinned and quartered it then wrapped in a blue trap. The whole bundle was sunk in Lake Huron. The water was about 60 degrees over night. That was the most mild meat I ever had. I alway if possible like to wash/rinse out the body.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
I soak in a salt ice bath after quartering, changing the water daily and replenishing ice as needed daily. Day 1 blood red water like Hawaiian Fruit Punch. Day 2 red water slightly lighter than Day 1. Day 3 water is much clearer with some red. And this is after self-processing on site allowing blood to drain while working.

Attachments

• 20211212_110035_copy_907x1612.jpg
    20211212_110035_copy_907x1612.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211213_083655_copy_907x1612.jpg
    20211213_083655_copy_907x1612.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211213_161359_copy_907x1612.jpg
    20211213_161359_copy_907x1612.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 2

Sapo

Bearcat
In my 50+ years of hunting here in Texas I have found only 1 deer unpalatable, the only deer we've ever had processed.

As far as gamey(?).........goat tastes like goat, squirrel ....squirrel, sheep tastes like sheep,.... deer, elk, nilgai, moose all have their own flavor. Eat raccoon once and you'll know it when you eat it the second time. Can't imagine every deer being taste prohibitive that it needs dunking. No one has said they determine the need for soaking based on smell or taste, it is just "procedure".

Thanks for the replies

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
My Grandmother would pull Venson out of the freezer, thaw it and soak it in milk overnight. I remember it always tasted great.
With saying that she also soaked Squirrels and Rabbits in milk also.

contender

Ruger Guru
A milk soak just before cooking is like marinating. A salt water soak before freezing & such is to draw out blood,, AND often removes a fair amount of actual flavor.

Brining fowl is a pretty standard practice before cooking or smoking but it's not red meat. Once I started brining turkey and chicken before smoking, deep frying or roasting I won't cook them any other way. I was also taught to get fresh killed wild red meat game hung and bled as soon as possible and get it processed as soon as it got cool (either by nature or artifically). Never heard about soaking it in anything. The only other thing I've done in the past was to dry age beef and you have to do that in a specific manner at a specific temperature and humidity and done correctly really enhances the flavor of the beef.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
In my 50+ years of hunting here in Texas I have found only 1 deer unpalatable, the only deer we've ever had processed.

As far as gamey(?).........goat tastes like goat, squirrel ....squirrel, sheep tastes like sheep,.... deer, elk, nilgai, moose all have their own flavor. Eat raccoon once and you'll know it when you eat it the second time. Can't imagine every deer being taste prohibitive that it needs dunking. No one has said they determine the need for soaking based on smell or taste, it is just "procedure".

Thanks for the replies
I did.

Sapo

Bearcat
"When he gives me fresh meat, I immediately soak the meat in a vinegar and salt water solution."

Nothing said about smell or taste of an individual deer, just immediately, likely based on previous meat, the reason for the word procedure.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
We would soak stronger tasting fish (mackerel, bonito, blue shard) to blood it before smoking=as part of the brining. I brine salmon and tuna before smoking to draw out moisture and red meat to make jerky.