Deciding Between MKII Stainless w/syn Stock or Zytel Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

n4rod

Bearcat
My local pawn shop has 2 different Ruger 77 MKII stainless rifles in .243 caliber. I haven't had the chance to handle either one for weight or barrel length. Only looking at them on line. I'll go in next week to check them out.

One has what I would call a "standard" black synthetic stock. The other has the Zytel type stock I had on a stainless All-weather 77/22 a couple decades ago. Both rifles are used but in excellent condition with no boxes. Neither rifle has a scope, but both have the original rings. There is a considerable price difference between the two. The one with the standard stock is $550. The one with the Zytel stock is $950. I know the Zytel stocks were only made for 4 or 5 years and are a little more scarce, but this price difference is more than I expected. $400 more for the Zytel?!!

I don't know of any other differences between the guns. Whether one is considered a lightweight, or what. Anyone have any experience with these different models and is one decidedly better than the other?

Thanks,

Rod

22/45 Fan

Hunter
"Zytel" was DuPont's marketing name for several grades of Nylon so it's a "synthetic" stock also. The stock material doesn't begin to justify the cost difference.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Neither of Rugers synthetic stocks are all that great. And the Zytel stocks were probably cranked out by the thousands so anyone cslling them rare is either smoking something , ignorant on the subject , or simply fishing for a sucker since there has been crazy prices paid for some of these on occasion by people with more money than sense.

I'll fess up here and tell...
Less than a year ago I jumped in on the zytel stock craze. I sold at auction one of mine that was nib and although they had to twist my arm a little , let it go for just shy of $2k. Had less than $500 in it. They sold cheap when new and Ruger couldn't hardly give them away. I turned that into 3 more rifles! So don't be that guy and fall for the craze. Although I wish I had bought a truckload of them to help feed these guys and their insanity!

If you are really wanting one , go for the standard synthetic. It will probably be an ok shooter and if you want to upgrade later , get a wood , laminate , or reinforced synthetic stock for it.

Btw...the blue book is even showing higher prices on the skeleton stocked models because of people who pay $1k-$2k or more for a $500 gun...

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Ive been seein the takeoff zytels have increased a lot in price, I used to buy empties for $50 each a few years ago.