Decided to restore rather than sell 49 year old Honda Mini

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Well it’s a great looking bike. That’s for sure.

I guess I don’t understand the back taxes part. Is this common among all states? Do you just mean the registration? Because haven’t you already paid the taxes on it when you first purchased it?

But do you mean to say, if for instance I find a rare Corvette in someone’s barn, would I have to pay the registration on it from the last year it was on the road? The taxes would just be the price at the time I buy it from the owner, right?

And why a penalty?

I know when we moved from Jersey to the great state of Texas, I had to pay a $90 “fee” per car, for bringing it into Texas. I wasn’t very happy about that....but I paid it and didn’t say anything.

Here in California we have what is called a Non Op license. If you don't plan on driving a vehicle on the road, you can apply for a Non Op license. It's like around twenty dollars or so. You only have to pay for the license once. Every year they send you a license fee in the mail just like a new registration. But it says if you still do not plan to use the vehicle, then it continues to be non operational and you pay nothing.

If you decide to register the vehicle for the road you only pay for the current year. No back anything to pay. I have two vehicles that are non operational. Who would think there was anything good in California?

caryc

Hawkeye
That would be a great little mail box runner for me too.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
About 15 years ago up in the Adirondacks, I found a Honda Super Cub, ,as best I could identify it (90 cc if I remember right) out to the curb for spring cleaning/ state funded environmental clean up.. I was able to kick it through, and it appeared complete. Someone had just bought the camp and was cleaning it out, and the bike was out with another big pile of junk. I wish I had grabbed it even just for the fun of a project....I figured if I could kick it through, I would eventually get it started. I could still cry when I think of it. The area was only accessible by boat and I had a very full load as it was.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Really neat lil’ Honda! They are fun machines.

I bought a new CT110 in 1980 and used it to commute to work. That lasted about a year because of too many near misses by blind drivers. So I rode it very little and eventually gave it to one of my sons. Later on it sat under a tarp outside for the past 15 years, then his younger brother took it over and got it running again last summer.
I have no idea what cosmetic condition it is in these days.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Today I spent about $102 on some of the parts I want to improve my bike's mechanical condition. Points, condenser, fuel line, drain line, air filter (original was almost dust crumbles) carb rebuild kit, fuel filter air box seals and about $7.50 postage. Soon I'll order brake/throttle/speedometer cable bundle as the original's sheathing are split from 49 years aging. Will get two new tires with tubes as the front is original and the rear is 39 years old. Some dry rot is evident! A new battery, and perhaps a new wiring harness will be needed depending on how hungry the mice were that ate through some wiring when I was away at my first apprenticeship from 76 to 79. I kept my bike in a steel and concrete tobacco barn for those years----big mistake as they ate the seat foam too. So a repro seat will happen for my bike too. All told, between $375 an $450 in parts. Divided over 49 years though that's about $11 a year, depending on how I look at it. All are new parts as these bikes are popular restoration bikes and makers are meeting the needs of enthusiasts.
Thanks again friends for all the kind thoughts.
Don

bobski

Hunter
youre more a man than I am. as nice as it is, they just don't handle worth a poop. I hated those small bars. I always felt unsafe on them.
granted, they have a cult following, but my dad.....the wise one, talked me into an SL70 when I was a kid.
why? it handled like a motorcycle, had a real lever clutch, and it became my first road vehicle during the gas crisis. I use to ride it to school and got 100mpg!
im still into the SL series bikes and use a 71 SL125 to check the barb wire fence line on my property.
I got a gold SL125 in conn. runs. restored. want it? pm me!

bobski

Hunter
if you get an oem carb $$$$ from japan, youll be ok. rebuild kits are $$$, but if its a new china carb, youll need to polish the needles and slide.
you will find most oem parts in the Netherlands these days. good luck.

Rook

Blackhawk
I bought a 1993 model CT-70 at an estate sale back in the mid 90s. I didn't need it for anything but the price was right and it had less than 100 miles on it so I bought it.

It mostly just sat in the garage for the next 22 years until I decided to sell it last year. I had to clean the carb and replace the gas lines and put a new battery in it but then it cranked right up. I sold it on Craigslist for $2,000. It still looked like new and had less than 400 miles on it when I sold it.

I was surprised at the amount of calls I got on the ad. I didn't have it listed but for a couple of days before it sold.

OqDrgoR.jpg

6fdRM45.jpg

oCsfOMo.jpg

8yMw2r8.jpg

Latest posts