Deal for SR556?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
My favorite FFL dealer quoted me a price for a SR-556.
He said he would take my year old Bi-color XD-45 (tactical) and $940 plus tax and Background check. I have to do it soon....

mattsbox99

Hunter
Thats a pretty good trade offer since most dealers only give 60% of the value for trades and that would equate to him giving an extra hundred dollars for your XD, plus the price on the SR556 is on the low end of what some retailers are asking for them.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
He's gonna make out on the deal and you're gonna have a new rifle is all. The "Soon" part is a flag to me. Yes, there is some demand for the SR556, but "soon" feels like he wants you to hurry through thinking about the deal.

Tactical pistols are still selling high even used.
Tactical rifles are all selling high and lots of them are going back to dealers cause people are having trouble and need to raise cash so there are lots of used out there right now.

Id slow down and think long and hard on this one. The Panic Buying is over. Shop that deal around some and see what someone else can do for you.

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
It is not a panic buy. The "soon" is that Davidson's sale ends on Jan 31.

I bought the XD a year ago from him for $579.
I am letting it go after figuring out that my xd45C service model shot as good or better as the tactical and is easier to conceal.

I could sell the XD for more but then I have to worry about it ending up with some crazy chick that wants to shoot her cheating boyfriend.

It's not your job to determine if her boy friend needs shooting or not.... hell he might be a gun grabbin liberal pinko commie....

I think I'd do the deal.

buy and deal with your local shop if at all possible...
if they close then where will you be?

nmscuba

Bearcat
Being as were talking trades that sounds like a pretty good deal. The ffl dealer has to make his profit which is anywhere usually from 10 to 20 percent mark up and depending on the condition of your XD is it rated at 90 percent? 80 percent?

So being honest with yourself, ask how many rounds have I put though this gun, if you were buying it from someone else what would you pay for it, is it scratched up or not etc.

Buying off gun broker if you don't have a friend who has an FFL you still got shipping, FFL Fees and Taxes on top of it. So by the time you add them up that rifle is over $1500

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
I did get the SR 556. He sold it to me for $1420 - $500 trade.
I paid sales tax on the difference so that saved me $50.

The gun is awesome. I picked up aEotech with the 3X FTS Magnifier for it. I like the EOtech so much I want one for the mini-14.

nmscuba

Bearcat
FJ40INTOW":3f372o5x said:
I did get the SR 556. He sold it to me for $1420 - $500 trade.
I paid sales tax on the difference so that saved me $50.

The gun is awesome. I picked up aEotech with the 3X FTS Magnifier for it. I like the EOtech so much I want one for the mini-14.

Congrats Sounds like a sweet deal!! I put the EoTech 517 on mine, might add the magnifier later, really don't know cause im good with this out to 100 yrs with 8 inch steel plates

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
FJ40INTOW,

I think that you will get so much more use and enjoyment out of your SR-556 as compared to your XD. Have you checked the safety selector on yours yet? Some people can rotate their selector past it's detent (with ease). If you experience this then it's not really that big of a deal. You can buy a new selector switch and drop it in for like 10 bucks. I guess some of the ones that Ruger installed, at the factory, were faulty.

Guys who call and ask Ruger about it are told this, "you have to send it in to Ruger to have it fixed." Most AR guys just laugh, hang up the phone and throw a new selector on theirs. It takes two minutes to do one.

I like mine. I have a pile of AR's. So, I have yet to shoot my Ruger. I can't seem to make up my mind on which optic to run. The SR-556 seems like it has a nice feel to it. Have fun trying to hide that monster Ruger box from your girlfriend/wife (or both).

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
Thanks Bearhawk!

The safety selector is working fine but thanks for the heads up anyway.

The box and the nice ruger bag is in the attic as I liked the TAC bag a little better.

I have owned one other AR and it didn't impress me. This one is a keeper.