Deal? Concerns...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folks, Yesterday while I was at the local gun/Pawn hangout I asked if they had any new model Blackhawks coming out soon. My friend said, as a matter of fact-yes. He brought out a 6 1/2" .357 in pretty good shape. One thing I noticed that concerned me was the ejector rod screw hole was empty where I should be seeing a screw. Looking real hard I could see the screw head was at the bottom of the hole flush with the barrel. Only thing I could figure had happened was the original screw loosened up & was lost and the previous owner put this shorter screw in it's place. Should I walk away from this one? He said it would be priced $250 to $265. I checked & it was mfg'd in 1979. Lastly is there anyway to clean up the hammers on these Rugers, most all the ones I see look bad, especially on the sides. Thanks for any help-Dave

DGW1949

Hunter
I'd have the guy remove the screw before I bought the gun...that is, assuming that it still comes out.

A piece of 400 grit wet 'r dry laid flat on a piece of glass and a couple drops of oil makes for a perty-good hammer-sides polisher. Of course ya gotta have the hammer out of the gun before you can rub it over the sandpaper.

DGW

flatgate

Hawkeye
Definitely check the ejector housing screw's threads in the barrel.

I use DGW's technique to polish hammers but add a "guide" so the hammer is passed across the emery paper in the exact same angle the Factory uses.

I also use 220 grit when trying to match the rather coarse OEM finish.......

JMHO,

flatgate