Deadwalkers among us

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Deadwalkers. New term, but appropriately descriptive. :shock:

You have seen the zombie-like creatures walking among us. In fact, you may be one of them, moseying along with your eyes fixated on that tiny screen that rests in the palm of your hand.

Americans overwhelmingly think this is okay. It’s not.

“It’s just really dangerous,” said Deborah Hersman, who heads the National Safety Council and is former chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board. “Everybody walking down the sidewalk either has their headphones on or is looking down at their phone. It’s a sad commentary on our society when you look at how distracted people are.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/eyes-down-minds-elsewhere-deadwalkers-are-among-us/2015/09/27/a3ad1da2-51bb-11e5-8c19-0b6825aa4a3a_story.html

Cholo

Staff member
You mean like this?

Zombies_zps4e2d21a9.png

Cholo

Staff member
I have a 12 year old granddaughter who received/sent over how many texts last month? Take some time to think about it... LaLaLa...:

How about over 9,500! I'd have smashed the phone...

JFB

Hunter
a couple days ago, the Neighbor (a Deputy), his Wife and their 12 year old were walking their fence line and passed within 50 feet of me (just on the other side of the road) and did not even know I was there!

A few years ago I took my youngest, fresh out of high school, grandson to a baseball game. All through the game he texted his girlfriend and, when his phone 'dinged' he answered it with another text. I put up with it for about four innings and then I had had it. I told him to tell Amanda that his phone would be off till much later that night so quit sending anything as he wasn't going to answer it. I also told him that if I heard 'one more "ding"' I was gonna take it from him and show him just how far I can throw it. He turned it off.

6gun

Hunter
Never heard that term deadwalker, I just know I must be getting close to the local mall when I see lots of them. :lol:

I just don't understand how people can become so addicted to pecking at a little box like a chicken and letting their whole life revolve around it. :? :roll:

cadillo

Blackhawk
I once watched as my wife's a niece and nephew sat together on a couch texting back and forth to one another giggling about whatever they were writing and reading. I could only watch it out of curiosity for about ten minutes during which time they never spoke or even looked up. We are handing off the world to a scarily incompetent generation.

Jim Puke

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
Either way, we've got a whole generation of kids who are completely detached from reality. From reality!!

- DixieBoy

OR, we have a several generations of adults, that are.

This is the "new" reality and it ain't gonna change.

I would like for someone to tell me how this can be stopped...maybe, like rock music was stopped?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That is what new technology has brought to the young and easily adaptable. We older guys and gals still do things we learned in our youth, like watching sports or going fishing/hunting. Technology is changing society in many ways and at a very fast rate. Pretty soon artificial intelligence will do our thinking for us. :D

Mobuck

Hawkeye
At our headquarters training meeting, some of the females(not in my group) were texting from one table to another during about 1.5 days of training. At the meeting last week, that group sat on the front table so they could be monitored. Now, these aren't kids-the youngest has a daughter in college.

wolfsong

Staff member
Cholo said:
I have a 12 year old granddaughter who received/sent over how many texts last month? Take some time to think about it... LaLaLa...:

How about over 9,500! I'd have smashed the phone...
LOL. Maria's (remember her?) daughter got a cell phone and service plan from me when she graduated from Junior High. Her record for text messaging was 15,000+! In one month! I'm glad I purchased the unlimited call/text plan.

I doubt I've made 15,000 phone calls in my 58 years, let alone texts.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
I drive an hour to and from work everyday. The amount of middle aged and older adults on their phones and driving is as alarming as the amount of younger adults doing it. It's common to see 60 year old bearded men driving their pickups doing who knows what on their flip phones. This isn't an age issue, it's a societal issue.

vito

Hunter
Texting instead of calling is the norm now, and not just for young people. Texting does allow for quick communication without all of the "uhs", "you know" and other meaningless comments that drive us crazy when talking to someone. But like it or not, its the way the world works now. I resisted texting for years, but all it led to was that I was left out of the loop of daily communication and photos from my kids and my wife. Texting, or sometimes a Facetime call is how I keep in touch with some of my grandkids. Regular phone calls lead to one word responses and clearly uncomfortable experiences for the grandchildren.

I get more concerned about the general level of distraction. Riding my bicycle on a popular bike path now means encountering the majority of walkers or other riders who are totally oblivious to what is going on around them. Typically it is the earbuds blasting music at high enough volume that I hear it when passing them. Calling out "on your left" or "passing you" does nothing to catch their attention. And this includes those who cannot seem to go out for a walk without being engaged in a constant non-stop conversation on their cell phone. A few months ago when passing a typically oblivious walker that I had used my bike bell as well as calling out that I was passing resulted in him suddenly moving from one side of the bike path to the other and crashing into me. I was sent sprawling on the ground, injuring my shoulder and damaging my bike and he was pretty bruised up as well. He apologized but said he just did not know that I was near him. I have since installed a small air horn on my bike which startles people to the point that I may give someone a heart attack but I will not risk another crash just because they can't seem to hear me when I call out a warning.

I'll add that I have been a motorcyclist for over 30 years and I am convinced that it is more dangerous today than ever before to ride a motorcycle because of the drivers who are not paying attention to what is around them but instead are talking on their phones or otherwise focused on the phone's screen. I had a louder after market horm installed on my cruiser to try to better get the attention of drivers who are seemingly locked into their own private little world of their phone within their car or truck.

#1rugerman

Single-Sixer
Several years ago when I was still working as a pharmacist I was a preceptor (over saw interns & externs so they could get hours toward the required number so they could take the state board) I had one girl who could not live without her phone, she was constantly texting, she would stop waiting on a customer to check her phone when it dinged . So I told her to cut it off while she was working. Next thing I know she would disappear for about 5 minutes every so often, so I asked her where she was "bathroom break" was my answer. So I told another intern to follow her when she left, turns out she was going to the bathroom to check her phone and update her texts, facebook, etc. When I found this out I let her go on the spot. Living in a college town (Auburn, Ala) you seldom see a college age kid without there face stuck in their phone, yes even while driving, wonder why there are so many wreaks around here. So I will not text, I don't even read texts that come to my phone. I feel that if its important enough to send me a message then you can call me.