Dead and Dying Cartridges...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

southpaw13

Bearcat
I have a Kimber rifle in the safe in 260 Remington that hasn't been shot for better than 15 years. Tried finding ammo locally without any luck not sure if it's obsolete or not.

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
My local sporting goods store has had the same (?) eight boxes of 7x64 Brenneke sitting on the shelf for about three years now.

hike

Bearcat
The following are not available in my area. Nor are they consistently available, if at all, at the online sellers that I frequent.
.40 S&W
.357 Sig. (A major user,, the NC Highway Patrol.)
.327 Mag
These rounds may be abundant in other areas but I know that .40S&W pistols were traded-in, sold, etc. in astonishing numbers in my area. The range/LGS that I use stopped replenishing .40S&W ammo 2 years and sold their remaining stock below their purchase price. They don't sell pistols in any of these calibers -- no demand from the public.

Duke22

Bearcat
I have a Kimber rifle in the safe in 260 Remington that hasn't been shot for better than 15 years. Tried finding ammo locally without any luck not sure if it's obsolete or not.
I think the 260 Remington is just about perfect, but you pretty much have to reload for it as ammo is darn near impossible to find. Funny thing, I was reading an old "Shooting Times" recently and they recommending the 260 Rem over the 6.5 Creedmoor as ammo was so hard to get for the Creedmoor. How times have changed. ;- )

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
I think the 260 Remington is just about perfect, but you pretty much have to reload for it as ammo is darn near impossible to find. Funny thing, I was reading an old "Shooting Times" recently and they recommending the 260 Rem over the 6.5 Creedmoor as ammo was so hard to get for the Creedmoor. How times have changed. ;- )
Cartridges of the World has stated that the 260 Remington has an advantage over the 6.5 Creedmore because of slightly larger case capacity; the two rounds are very close ballistically, The 6.5 Creedmore might have a longer neck and be able to accomdate longer bullets, however.

As for 6.5 Creedmore being hard to find (!) - every sporting goods store and gun store within 100 miles of me has row after row of multilayer shelves full of 6.5 Creedmore.

In my most recent G&A...
There's an article about gasping cartridges. I don't always agree with gun writers, but sometimes I read the article anyway.

They've printed a short list of cartridges that are on their last legs. Some I agree with, some I don't . And some I am surprised.

The .40 S&W ... The cartridge everyone loves to hate. It is professed by many to be an unneeded anemic cartridge. But when I've questioned cops, I find many, especially in rural departments, that carry and prefer the .40 to the other choices. I greatly prefer the .40 to the Mister Wonderful 9mm Parabellum cartridge.

Here's the bigger surprise. The .327 Federal. This is a cartridge that does nothing for me, but I respect that it does have quite a following. Bottom line... I am surprised that the gunwriter(s) are professing this cartridge to be going away. This caused me to look to my ammo supplier, and they have zero .327 cartridges available for sale.

A few more on the list.
.357 SIG, .32ACP, .45GAP, and finally, the .30SC. Most are niche cartridges, having their followers. And there's no doubt they are decent performers. The .32ACP is the exception to me. There are many thousands of .32 autos left over from previous eras. And a few more recent releases. Although unpopular for most purposes, this is a cartridge that I just don't see ever going completely away.
Shooting a so called dead cartridge can be part of the appeal. I have two Steyr Model 1895 rifles, well a rifle and a carbine. The carbine is chambered in 8X56R which is not a problem. The rifle is in 8X50R Mannlicher or Austrian. I have a scant supply of 8x50R but have lost my source. I really should tool up to handload but, so many choices so little time. Does anyone have a line on 8X50R Mannlicher ammunition or know of anyone who will load some?

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Don't understand how the 260 not catching on as a great cartridge. Perhaps it was the load offerings at the time it came out? Sounded ideal for deer size game. Only obsolete caliber I owned a gun for was the .225 Win. Tried to replace the 220 Swift but was slower to boot.

NikA

Buckeye
Shooting a so called dead cartridge can be part of the appeal. I have two Steyr Model 1895 rifles, well a rifle and a carbine. The carbine is chambered in 8X56R which is not a problem. The rifle is in 8X50R Mannlicher or Austrian. I have a scant supply of 8x50R but have lost my source. I really should tool up to handload but, so many choices so little time. Does anyone have a line on 8X50R Mannlicher ammunition or know of anyone who will load some?
I have dies to form 8x50R brass and brass to form it from. Cases can be loaded and possibly neck sized with more common 8X50R Lebel dies. Hard part is finding parent brass, 8x56R is best, 7.62x54R is acceptable, .45-70 works but is a pain.

All the dies, etc. are limited items manufactured once every few years.

Good luck with your search.

.358 Norma mag. Norma stopped making ammo and brass some years ago. They started making both again but in small runs. I found brass and ammo available in England and Canada, neither dealer will sell or ship to the US. I can form .338 win mag to 358 NM. I believe that the .338 wm is what overtook the .358 nm.
The .22 Eargespiltten Loudenbommer is 1 I wanted because of the crazy name. PO Ackley listed it in his cartridges and had loading data. A .378 Weatherby mag necked down to .22. Really a silly idea of a cartridge, I wonder why it never caught on.

Last edited:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yep that .35 Remington is a heck of a round. Probably expensive if found today in guns stores or Bass Pro Shop.

Looks like they will do it for you.. at $4.50 a round.
Thanks, I do not need many, but I would like to have some more on hand.
I have dies to form 8x50R brass and brass to form it from. Cases can be loaded and possibly neck sized with more common 8X50R Lebel dies. Hard part is finding parent brass, 8x56R is best, 7.62x54R is acceptable, .45-70 works but is a pain.

All the dies, etc. are limited items manufactured once every few years.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks. I ordered some from oldsouthammo as soon as I saw thinklye's post.

.358 Norma mag. Norma stopped making ammo and brass some years ago. They started making both again but in small runs. I found brass and ammo available in England and Canada, either dealer will sell or ship to the US. I can form .338 win mag to 358 NM. I believe that the .338 wm is what overtook the .358 nm.
The .22 Eargespiltten Loudenbommer is 1 I wanted because of the crazy name. PO Ackley listed it in his cartridges and had loading data. A .378 Weatherby mag necked down to .22. Really a silly idea of a cartridge, I wonder why it never caught on.
Well, bait taken. I just had to see what a .22EL looked like. Here you go…
IMG_9323.jpeg

Paul B

Hunter
Two cartidges I like to play with are the .257 Roberts and 7x57 Mauser. The Mauser round is still fairly easy to find and one can usually find some at big box store under the Federal Label. Sometimes they have Norma as well but I haven;t seer any Winchester or Remington lately on the shelves. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any Remington 7x57 ammo in some time, like in years. I did have a stroke of luck at a gun show when a fellow was selling bulk brass and I bought every round of Winchester and Remington brass he had.

The .257 Roberts, like the 7x57 is also a sometimes thing. Aboit 15 or so years ago I bought a Ruger #1B in .257 Roberts and 6 boxes of Norma ammo plus the dies to load them that came with the rifle. I used part of one box to see how that rifle shot and to check the scope that was on it. It was spot on and very very accurate. ff and on I do a search on Norma's site to see if they might be doing a run of .257 Roberts but no luck. I also have a Winchester M70 Featherweight in the .257R but it has not done well with any factory I've been able to find nor with any of the handloads I've made. I do have 6 rounds left from that initial box of Norma that I might try over the chronograph and for accuracy at the same time. Once I have the velocity from them maybe it will give me a leg up on getting some accuracy from that rifle. If not? I'll have to decide doing some work on the gun or just dump it on the market.
Paul B.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Getting ready for a garage sale and found a box of 348 Win for a 71 lever action I sold. See if anyone buys it at the garage sale .Gun Broker shows prices of $3 for brass to $12 per round! Gotta look into it further!!!

BearBiologist

Hunter
Yep that .35 Remington is a heck of a round. Probably expensive if found today in guns stores or Bass Pro Shop.
Have TC Contender barrel. Took a 200 lb. hog @ a MEASURED 300 yards (missed the first shot @ 100 yards by shooting high!)

smith1961

Blackhawk
And meeting deadlines, and writing something controversial.

I load and shoot a few "dead or dying" cartridges myself - .218 Bee, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .348 Winchester. They're alive and well at my place...
OMG!!! Too funny I own a Browning 71, a Win 43, and a 24" Rem 700 6.5 Rem! We must be cousins!