Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sam Summey

Single-Sixer
I would think farmers are the ones who need it the least. Get up with the sun work until dark. Time is just a number on the clock.

I know I’m sick of changing time twice a year. but I dont want year round daylight savings time. which seems to be the direction we are headed.
Getting up one hour early doesn't work, it doesn't help the farmer, he still has the same amount of daylight. Today where I live, sunrise was 7:55, at 7AM it was pitch ass black dark. The sun will set today at 6.:32. That's 10 hours and 37 minutes of daylight, where's the increase? Most outside jobs begin around 8 AM, that being the case the workers lost about 15-30 minutes of "productive" time waiting until it got light enough to see anything. I vote for Standard Time throughout the year. DST was invented way back in the latter part of the 18th Century and made popular during WW II by a lie of many lies told by the FDR Administration.

Last edited:

Snake45

Hawkeye
1667497700619.png

Durango Dave

Bearcat
As the sun moves across the sky it is always in the midpoint of it's path at noon, that is if we wouldn't change our clocks. That is true in the summer, fall, winter and spring. To maximize the sunlight you would have to go to bed at 8 pm and get up at 4 am year round. No one has such an early schedule unless their job mandates it.

For that reason it would be most advantageous to move our clocks forward 3 hours and leave them there.

The only reason for changing the clocks is someone evidently thinks it's better to have more sunlight in the evening during the summer and more light in the morning during the winter.

Me, too, but on this Forum it seems we're in the
To me it really doesn't matter. When still putting on my uniform it didn't matter if the sun was shining or not. 0530 is 0530 If you need more sunlight then start earlier or work later. Eight hours is eight hours regardless of when you start.

Doons

Bearcat
I have several watches I will be able to wear again; as after the time change they will show the correct time again!

They are a pain to set the time on (Citizen Eco’s perpetual calendars). I have to go out on the net and find the directions every year, just easier to grab a different watch.

I don't really care. From now till next spring it's dark out when I go to work and dark out when I head home. Time change doesn't
much alter that. Next spring will have some daylight again.
Hibernation seems like a better idea every winter.

Sam Summey

Single-Sixer
Having been in education for many years, ww were told some of the reasoning was based in school times. Kids walking to school in the dark was a concern which I understand.
Walking to school? What a "crock", in the 50s I rode my bike to elementary school before DST was established, a distance of about 1 1/2 miles. I never rode to school in the dark. In the deep winter, I rode the bus, I never waited in the dark, it was light enough to see walking to the bus stop. This is a "Soccer Mom's" excuse.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Walking to school? What a "crock", in the 50s I rode my bike to elementary school before DST was established, a distance of about 1 1/2 miles. I never rode to school in the dark. In the deep winter, I rode the bus, I never waited in the dark, it was light enough to see walking to the bus stop. This is a "Soccer Mom's" excuse.
I was raised in Alaska. In the winter, we walked to school, around 3/4 mile in the dark both ways. Dark in the morning, dark in the afternoon.

It didn't kill me.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Any attempt to eliminate the changing of the clocks will be met by the left as an attempt to create more global warming and to consume more fossil fuels. We’re stuck with it.
Hi,

We need to wake some people up. How about this one for starters: Jan 1, 2023, the US is going to ZULU time and all measurement and tooling will be metric. Is two months long enough to learn to count to 10? ;)

Rick C

Ride1949

Buckeye
I’m sorry to have offended so many here.

That wasn’t my intent.

I offered some information, use it as you see fit.

Monty

No offense taken here Monty. I was just having a little fun with you. (It's been said that I have an unusual sense of humor) We're cool.

Last edited:

tarbe

Bearcat
I personally hate the clock changing. Next week my morning meeting will start at 0500 instead of 0600....the meeting is established in South Africa. They don't seem to care what time it is in the USA!

Now, if I could shut down earlier in the afternoon, it would be more tolerable. But my customers are all in North America...so yeah, I really do lose or gain an hour, depending upon your perspective!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Some years ago, Nita and I we.re vacationing in the Southwest. Our motel, where we headquartered, was in the Central Time Zone, and on Daylight Saving Time. We frequently drove over to Arizona, which was on Mountain Standard Time, and up to the Indian Nations, which observed Daylight Saving Time. So we sort of bounced back and forth with time settings. And, during our stay there, DST ended.

One nice thing, one evening at our supper time, we had one Cracker Barrel in Flagstaff all to ourselves!

Bob Wright

Latest posts