David Bradshaw Photos - Vol. XLV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
100 yards is a good distance when we talk revolver accuracy for hunting or competition. July, 1979: 10-shots from a first production Ruger SBH S410N .44 Mag 10-1/2", with Leupold 4x28mm scope, at 132 yards. Short-lived S&W load of 240 JHP. Sandbag rest

S&W nickel M-29 8-3/8" with Leupold 4x28mm, 5x5=2.0" at 100 yards. Silhouette accuracy to be sure, although bullet too light to really play the steel game. Proves the good manufacturers have understood for years.

Blue M-29 8-3/8" with factory partridge sight. Classic Creedmoor position.

Interarms Siilhouette Dragoon 10" .44 Mag at 100 meters.

Jim Whitcomb loads Interams Virginian silhouette Dragoon at IHMSA match in Goliad, Texas

Misprint: Daw Wesson Arms Model 15 .357 Mag----erroneously labeled a .44----with five Federal 125 JHP's in 2.5" 2 100 meters. Handmade beaver chewed grip. Dan Wesson quickly adopted grip spike design originated on T/C Contender. Second generation Aimpoint sight on Weaver-type rail. Six-inch full underlug barrel. Worst 5-shot group with Fed 125 JHP printed 4.1" @ 100 m.

.38 Special brass was trimmed to seat Hornady .358 200 grain Round Nose and Spire Point bullets. These 200 grain bullets couldn't safely be driven fast enough from Colt and S&W revolvers to utilize weight. Anyone trying this today might as well crimp on ogive, not trim case.

Hard to deny accuracy of .357 Maximum in Dan Wesson Model 40 Vent 8-inch. Five shots at 100 meters with Hornady .358 200 RN. Original barrels with 1:14 twist, like this one, stabilize 200 Hornady Spire Point. Against alleged quallity complaints, David never experienced a poor 1:14 barrel. Barrels with 1:16" twist came next, followed by a pedestrian 1:18-3/4" in last stage of Maximum production, including stainless M740.

Coming on the heels of the .357 Maximum, Ruger introduced the Super Blackhawk KS411N. Improvements over S410N "Silhouette Super" include bull barrel screw-on target front sight, and long Maximum ejector assembly. The "Silver Hornpipe" set a record on its first outing.

Freedom Arms M83 .44 mag with Shilen 10"x1:16 barrel. Leupold 2.5-8x33mm LER with target turrets and dot reticle, Leupold rings on SSK T'SOB base.

Nosler 300 JHP over 20.2/H110, Fed 155 Gold Match, Federal case, 1,400 fps. Superb accuracy, perhaps more than required. Nevertheless, contagious performance. Point of impact (POI) of Nosler 300 JHP about 3" low, as revolver is zeroed for Sierra 240 JHC at 1,600 fps.

Redding Competition seater die presents deluxe alignment of bullet as it glides into case. Seater plug resembles a very smooth forcing cone. Micrometer adjustment facilitates instant return to respective depth for various bullets.

contender

Ruger Guru
This is what good shooting is all about. I've been sneaking off to the range off & on these last few weeks tuning myself up for deer season. I have 3 different guns I hope to use this year for deer. It's stuff like this that drives me even harder to improve my shooting at long range with a revolver.
Thanks for the pics!

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
IHMSA silhouette proved what various individuals had known for years, that the disciplined marksman and markswoman armed with a handgun has a place in the woods. Given a good bullet with enough velocity for the job, the handgun lacks only the buttstock of a rifle. The strong side arm becomes the buttstock. Whether one shoots both arms straight out in the isosceles stance, or from a modified Weaver (boxer) stance, the trigger is squeezed exactly as from prone or bench rest.

Difference between offhand and shooting from a rest----in off hand the gun never stops moving. So, with the oscillating motion of offhand, one squeezes the trigger smooth as possible.

There is no shortcut to a smooth squeeze. The eye, tendon and muscle, and the mind are toned by dry fire. When great shots dry fire, shouldn't everyone else?
David Bradshaw