David Bradshaw Photos - Vol. LXXXI, K-22 Part 3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Sometimes it takes more than a trap.

These guys do a good job on the dirty rats and I leave 'em alone whenever possible.

Noticed a trap missing from a 4'x8' work table. Then, shutting off the shop fan, heard a thrash where artwork wrapped in plastic meets the wall. Figured a rat got a leg caught in the trap then dragged the trap off the table. Now tangled in visquine between art and wall. Better kill it before it chews off its leg and escapes. Load Les Baer 1911 with CCI .45 ACP shotshell. Considering damage potential, switch Les Baer for K-22 stoked with CCI ratshot. Poking muzzle into folds of plastic. Intermittent thrashing invisible through folds of visquine indicate a rat very much alive. Muzzle of K-22 paws at the plastic, exposing a hind quarter and the lower torso of a bull rat. Cannot see forward portion. BLAM----take out left femoral artery. Range: about 2 inches. The struggle for life quickly fades. Reach a Channelock plier, pinch a fold of skin, extract rat.

The trap had crimped not a leg, rather the bail struck immediately aft the rat's skull----without cutting off the airway! Head clamped, the rat had dragged the trap across table, only to plunge into a maze of plastic wrap. For whatever reason, this rat lacked the football kyoons of of the next rat to pay for crowding the muzzle of the K-22.

Barrel fouling from one round of CCI .22LR ratshot.

K-22 chamber fouled by ratshot.

Bronze brush for .22 rifle is best for twisting through revolver chambers. Rifle length precludes use as proper bore brush in revolver.

Parker Hale makes the best jag. Cotton flannel remains superior patch material.

Lead particles infect cotton flannel patch run through bore of K-22; appear to be shot from CCI shotshell. Bore had not been cleaned since passage of 500 to 700 rounds of .22 Long Rifle solids and hollow points

Five rounds fired over trunnion rest from 100 yards-----after one round of CCI ratshot.

A bit of wind drift.

CCI ratshot, so limited, yet handy for putting the crimp on a lousy rat at muzzle distance.

Dog alerted to a rat in studio. Handloader grabs K-22. Rat navigates behind art on shelf. Stalk the vermin, exposing leaned panels one by one. Suddenly, shadow of ears on the wall, like Mickey Mouse with mule deer ears. Muzzle extends, finger poised for double action. Rat makes a run for it BLAM leaps off shelf BLAM, hits the floor sick. Young Fang pounces, crunching rat ribs. Pattern on sheetrock approximates 2 feet from muzzle winged rat as it went airborne. Dents from shot capsule.

CCI 22 shotshell chroographed on Dr. Kenneth Oehler's Model 35P. Cardboard hung from light diffuser of stop screen, velocity 1452 fps. Screen spacing 2 feet, muzzle 1' in front of start screen. Thus, pattern on cardboard made 3' from muzzle. One yard may represent outer limit for .22 ratshot fired from revolver. The sixgun supplies multiple shots without the feeding woes of an auto, a practical advantage as the rat takes flight.

Great pictures and outcome. I have found the shorter the barrel the tighter the pattern with shotshells. I was always tempted to get an old beater 22 and file or drill the rifling out for shooting them. I suppose ATF would have fits.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
After several squirrel intrusions in the attic, I have declared war on squirrels at my house. I have dispatched them with .22 CCI shot shells at ranges from 5ft to an unbelievable 20 yards (took full cylinder at running target) - this with a 4 5/8" OM Single Six. Scoped CZ455 17HMR used for longer range targets - deadly accurate!

contender

Ruger Guru
Once again, a detailed description of something many of us have never taken the time to fully test.
I always enjoy the stuff David takes the time to share with us.

I noted the first rat trap, with the extras added to assist in the lethality of it working. Interesting to see the mods to the trap.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
I have used the CCI Shot shells to dispatch a few rats but mostly used it for poisonous snakes. After doing some testing with 45 Colt, 44 Special, 38 Special, 22 Mag, and 22 LR I have found the 38 Special and 22 LR to be the most effective. Our bear lease is directly on the edge of the Okeefenokee Swamp with lots of poisonous snakes. Brian keeps a NAA in his pocket daily loaded with shot shells. When hunting I keep the first round a shot shell in my Vaquero 4&5/8 45 Colt. Two seasons ago I dispatched a 3 foot cottonmouth and two 4 foot cottonmouths in the same ditch using 22 LR. I keep my High Standard Double 9 Texas Longhorn loaded with shot shells and it is deadly on snakes and rats. Daily I carry a LC9 and my 2nd magazine has 2 shot shells up front. Quick and easy swap then bang dead varmint.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
That the rat in photo #3 with head crimped actually dragged the trap two or 3 feet and with breathing seemingly undiminished. startled me. Vermin (and squirrels) have plenty to eat in a pecan orchard----thus, pecan nut as bait in photo #1.

Appreciate the insights on forum members experiences with various handgun shotshells.

Rumrunner.... haven't tried shot from 2 and 4-inch S&W's. I'd have thought the shorter barrels would spread faster. And, no, it would not be wise to do a mafia job on the rifling!

Contender.... you have a keen eye. Driving nails or screws up through the floor of the trap helps to focus the rat's approach, and to retard a lateral jump to avoid the bail.
David Bradshaw

Kanook

Buckeye
Not sure what camera you are using, I can see a building, tree, and maybe a chimney in the rats eye.

Your stories are always a treat to read, thanks for sharing.

I've been working on a trade for for a 617 for my wife for a couple of months now. It was is a shoe box apart. Just need to order a sight screw and it'll be shooting. I'm waiting on the GP100 22lr.

Back when we had neighbours from New York (I've moved since then), I would chase the rats around the yard with my Ruger single six and shoot them with snake/rat shot. The Sheriffs deputies would arrive and laugh at all the rats I was shooting, but had to show up because of the call. Most of the deputies were friends from school (we took the same law classes).

olskool

Bearcat
DSCN1149_zpshd6pyddq.jpg

now this one is dead for sure!

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Trying to see in the first rat's eyes, Kanook, the architecture your 007 vision reports. The camera is one of these cigarette pack-size gizmos. My last SLR digital kicked the bucket; believe it's guts froze to death in the winter mountains. Meanwhile, thanks for the kind words.

To Olskool, please describe the revolver posed beside your rat mummy. Reckon them are "aftermarket" grip scales. Further, appears you rat fetched to dine upon its last vittles in an arid environ.
David Bradshaw