David Bradshaw Photos Vol. LXXV, DWA M44 Pt. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
First public photos of the DWA .44 Magnum. M44 makes its debut at an IHMSA match in Goliad, Texas. David squeezes M44 with Vent heavy 6-inch barrel. To his left, Jim Whitcomb at work with S&W M-29 nickel 8-3/8".

M44 VH6 barrel at recoil. DWA sent David VH8 and VH6 shrouds and barrels. Testing began with 8-inch, with poor accuracy. David called DWA to report bore compression under threads, only to learn that the threads had been rolled on. The 6-inch had cut threads and shot superbly.

Still doping the sights, David shot 30x40 Creedmoor, then 25x40 standing. Numerous silhouetters shot the M44 that day, several immediately placing orders.

The big Dan and the Redhawk share major concepts----with major mechanical differences.

Similarity:
* over built for .44 Mag.
* solid frame construction, made possible by investment casting.
* vertically stripped modular trigger assembly.
* offset cylinder latch.

As tear downs would be frequent to observe, adjust, and change barrels, threads were coated with Anti-Seize Compound. In anticipation of muzzle nut fouling from Power Control porting, the grease was put on thick.

From the git-go, David encourage DWA to drop Power Control porting as unnecessary to the soft recoil of the 4-lb. Dan. Not to mention mess. DWA saw Power Control as promoting sales, yet advised against firing cast bullets through it. Were it not for the Anti-Seize, fouling from jacketed bullets would have locked it up. 6" barrel shown.

Fouling from jacketed bullets. Imagine what cast would do.

Wire wheel cleans fouled threads. David advised DWA drop the porting. No accuracy deterioration was found but, as soon as a an 8" barrel with cut threads arrived, it was mounted.

Barrel socket and frame face of DWA M-44. Hole by yoke cutout takes a pin. The pin indexes barrel shroud in vertical alignment. Spring loaded etent ball in standing breech centers cylinder ratchet. A thumb latch secures yoke to frame

The three muzzles. L-to-R: M-29 5-groove; Redhawk 6-groove; M-44 8-groove.

Unit facing left...
M-44 hammer at full cock. Unlike S&W and Ruger double action lockwork, the M-44 notch is in the trigger, and the sear tip is on the hammer.

M44 trigger guard has adjustable trigger stop. SA tunable for a clean, light letoff----lighter than any other DA revolver, with possible exception of, but probably including, Colt Python

M44 hammer (left) is a MIM part, as is M44 trigger; won't give trouble----as long as hard double action work is kept off the menu. Technically a double action, in practice the M44 is a single action with superb trigger and fast lock time. Note raised bearing surfaces to reduce friction.

Redhawk hammer (and trigger) are investment cast, heat treated, durable in the extreme----both SA and DA. Redhawk SA cannot approach letoff of the M-44.

M44 trigger module contains trigger rebound spring, arrangement later adopted for Super Redhawk. SRH didn't exist when these photos were taken.

M-44 trigger module:

* trigger pinned to module.
* pawl pivots on trigger.
* transfer bar attached to pawl.
* hammer pins to trigger module; Hammer/trigger engagement may be checked on module

Redhawk trigger module:

* trigger pinned to module.
* pawl and transfer bar pivot on trigger.
* cylinder latch attached to module.

Joe S.

Hunter
My Dan Wessons were great guns! Mine were all made in Monson. Have heard the Palmers were not as well made. I had a pistol pack with 4" and 6" barrels. Also had one with terrible bluing i had coated. Hated the finish and promptly sold it. Also had two 357's along the way.

Chief 101

Hunter
Good info, I found the 357 version very accurate but I had to make my 10" barrel because at the time only the shroud was available. Shot a 39/40 creedmore using 358/200 RCBS and shortened cases. Missed chicken #5 when my trusty spotter/bud missread the large lead splatter on the steel bird and moved me to a high miss. The 6" barrel balanced fine for offhand shooting. Never saw the 44 caliber Dan Wesson, I am sure I would have had one if they were out at the time.
Again, good stuff...

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Don44, Contender, Joe S. and company, many thanks.

Chief 101.... thank you for your silhouette tale. The DWA M15 .357 Mag factored well in the steel game. Philip Braud of Louisiana shot the second revolver 40x40 with his M15. Skip and Cherylle Hird of Massachusetts campaigned their M15 hard----and successfully----Skip finally splitting the barrel socket in the frame at 6 o'clock with eight or 9,000 rounds of Speer .358 180 Flat Points down range. Of course it was a championship match. I was a few paces away when barrel & shroud sailed downrange.

Sounds like your "trusty spotter" made a giant faux paw, telling you wrong, killing a potential 40x40 in Revolver, shooting Creedmoor. Sage advice for a gun writer and everyone else applies double to the spotter: WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW, DON'T SAY!
Spotting is one of the most difficult of all jobs.

The DWA M15 .357 Mag and M44 .44 Mag share the trait of exceptional accuracy. Beyond that, the revolvers differ greatly, with size being the least of it. A proper Dan Wesson shoots with any revolver ever made.
David Bradshaw

Chief 101

Hunter
Sounds like your "trusty spotted" made a giant faux paw, telling you wrong, killing a potential 40x40 in Revolver, shooting Creedmoor. Sage advice for gun writers and everyone else applies double to spotters: WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW, DON'T SAY!
Spotting is one of the most difficult of all jobs.
this happened before 1980 I think and when they set up the 5 targets you could see where I walked right up the chicken. In my spotters defense I am sure the sunlight caught the target just right as it fell to highlight the leg, which is where he thought I was hitting. Fun stuff, I remember being a little peeved when I saw the targets, but kept it to myself as this was just recreation...and an honest mistake

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
chief101.... as you know, the chicken is the most difficult silhouette to spot. Smallest and lightest weight target, only 50 meters away, bullet at maximum velocity, the chicken falls faster than its heftier mates. It takes excellent glass in excellent light, with a keen eye, to see bullet impact on a chicken. Add all the splash, it is easy to misjudge POI.

Nothing like the simple scoring of silhouette. "X" when it falls; "0" when it doesn't.
David Bradshaw

Chief 101

Hunter
Exactly David, I think that is why we like it, you have two options, if it falls its a hit if not its a miss...I miss shooting the steel but alas no ranges near me to shoot...keep up the good work David