Darn it, 'SIXSHOT', I have a bone to pick with you..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Darn it, Dick ! I followed your directions, did some Dutch oven cooking, and now the wife wants me to do all the cooking :x :lol: :lol: ! I've got hunts to go on, bullets to cast, guns to shoot, and bow season started last Wednesday.

Here's a pan seared eye round roast browned in olive oil with garlic and onion. I then added some taters, 1/2 onion, string beans, and corn. Spiced with seasonal, added alittle water, and put her to bake. Also made some cherry/blueberry cobbler. Pretty darn good meal, if you ask me :D .
roast007.jpg

Here's the roast, fresh from oven.
roast008.jpg

Plate of food :D :D :D
roast006.jpg

Cobbler out of oven. Wife snitched some to check for poison :eek: .
roast009.jpg

Cobbler ready to go !

It was a great meal, enjoyed by all. I made some chicken and taters last weekend.
chicken003.jpg

chicken002.jpg

Yep, thanks to you, 'SIXSHOT', I'm spending alot more time in the kitchen. Not a bad deal. Momma's happy, and its huntin' season. :D :D
When Momma's happy, I get to spend more time in the woods. Thanks, buddy :D :D :D :D .

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, something tells me you didn't just start cooking 2 weeks ago, I'm guessing you attended a chef school somewhere! :wink: Not only does the food look great, the presentation is first class also, well done my friend.
My mom's been in the hospital 5 days now, I haven't had much time to cook, maybe tuesday I'll brew something up, how about fresh Idaho taters in the dutch oven & a leg of lamb, seared, seasoned to perfection with fresh cloves of garlic inserted down into the meat & then slow cooked for 3 hours in my big dutch oven. :D I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Dick

Chessy potatoes are THE BEST!!! That's one of my favorite side dishes. Maybe I'll have to double my dose of Lipitor today and make a big batch of those tonight. :lol:

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Jeff,...you need to "link" this over to the ruger forum cookbook thread! Like stated your presentation is 1'st class & it makes one hungry..... :)
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Dick,....sorry to hear your mother is sick. Hope she gets well very soon...

Quietdood

Bearcat
This is getting out of hand IMO. They should rename this forum Ruger/DutchovenForum

I'm really impressed by the food you guys are posting... I think this forum would have no trouble getting a coffee table book published.

Serious question... I have a small family (3), what's a good sized oven to get and any brands to recommend?

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Quietdude, I think a 10 or 12, would be a good start. I have Lodge brand skillets and Dutch oven. My enamel dutch is Cooks brand. Just ordered a Camp chef from Aqua superstore, an internet outfit,(I wanted one like 'sixshots' $41.95 for #12). I even have a cheapy china Dutch that came with a fish fryer for smelting WW from Bass Pro that works nice. Just season them well, they're all good.Don't worry about going too big, I like leftovers. That roast will last a few meals, and then end up chopped up and mixed with gravy from the broth and poured over egg noodles, for its last hurrah !

Dick, that leg of Lamb sounds Great ! Lets see some pics when she's done :D .

Thanks for the compliments guys on the presentation, but I honestly just spooned out whatever on the plate with a plop, and took the pictures before my wife caught me :shock: . She thinks I'm a little crazy taking pictures of food all of a sudden.

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeffs right on the #10 or #12...... if you aren't expecting friends! You'll gain some as soon as you take the lid off. :wink: I have 9 ovens, all but 3 are Lodge brand, I have the #12 Camp Chef that I've shown earlier & its a good oven & having the legs on the lid is a plus. Also, make sure your ovens have the lip around the lid, you don't want a round top. The lip holds the charcoal.
I also have 2 aluminum ovens, a #10 & #12 & they are great ovens, just much lighter, you do have to experiment with them a bit because they respond to the heat different than the cast iron.
You'll have to work pretty hard to mess up a meal with a dutch oven.

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
'sixshot' said
I have 9 ovens

Darn Dick, I'm up to 4(the Campchef came today), and I'm getting grief from the wife about all this cast iron laying around :shock: . Before , all she complained about was all the wheel weights and lead in the garage.

callshot

Blackhawk
Hello all of you super chefs. I just bought another 12 inch oven yesterday. I was thinking of doing some spuds (Idaho potatoes) in it today. The roast looks great. I'll have to try one of my Moose roasts this fall also.