Damaged Firing Pin Retainer Ruger SR-556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
Ok, so I have searched the inter-webs far and wide and can't find a definte solution to this. I have Ruger SR-556 with a Geissele G2S trigger. After about 2-3 shots the firing when inserted vertically into the BCG rotates 90 degrees horizontal. After about 200 rounds or more I see circular wear on the firing ping retainer pin where its getting hit and it is bent out of spec to the point where it has been bent and almost impossible to replace. Have replaced it twice already with genuine Ruger retainer pins. Other than that I like the rifle. Any ideas on what's going on here? I have read either the firing pin shroud is hitting it when the hammer falls, or the hammer is hitting the retainer pin as the bolt is traveling rearward. Someone suggested on a forum page somewhere of rounding the tip of the hammer, but not sure if that's a good idea. Are the Ruger retainr pins cheap and all I need is a better/hardened firing pin retainer pin?

Also forgive the newbie question, this is my first AR rifle but:

Ruger says not to dismantle the BCG and bolt for cleaning. After shooting the carbon and brass fouling is atrocious where it engages the breach. Especially around the extractor. I would assume most guys fully clean their bolts after firing?

How wet with lubricant do you guys run your rifles? I live in Michigan which is moderate climate. Everything I see is wetter with oil the better, so I run grease and oil. Keep the gas piston and its chamber dry.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Don't want to really send the rifle in as I live in a apartment so traveling back and forth to UPS is a major hassle for me.

hittman

Staff member
Chuckwagon524 said:
I have Ruger SR-556 with a Geissele G2S trigger.

Don't want to really send the rifle in .......

You or Ruger install that trigger?

My suggestion was going to be let Ruger fix it. They are your best option since they built it. You'll likely get it back with a "genuine factory" trigger if that Geissele is something you put in.

If you installed an aftermarket trigger, did the gun have this problem before you made the switch?

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
I did install the trigger. Installing an AR trigger is not that hard, it's two assemblies under spring tension held by two pins, and owner of Geissele even has videos on Youtube on how to do it and the differences between all the triggers he sells. The Ruger trigger is gritty and 8-10 lbs and all the reviews say its bad. Originally I read that lower receiver in SR556 was fully stock AR-15. The Geissele is a 2 stage trigger with 2lb take up and 2lb break and designed to break like a carrot. Geissele triggers use a full force hammer spring to avoid light primer strikes. Never fired the gun with the stock trigger. Hopefully you can see the linked pictures I took of the firing pin retaining pin.

Here's a link to images: https://plus.google.com/105071598107454307289/posts/3GJ73AXjAWF

That circular mark you see into the side of the firing pin retaining pin is about the size of the flat area on the firing pin. Just had the thought perhaps the firing pin is slamming backwards into the retaining pin when the bolt slams into battery? Or it could be the head of the firing pin from the hammer hitting it into the retaining pin? Not sure.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/curt2u/media/RugerSR-556DIAR200rndshoot052.jpg.html

When pulling the charging handle, you can feel hammer catching the underside of the bolt carrier group, but thought that was normal to AR-15 operation.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
To clarify, with my rifle, each time the hammer falls it rotates to an eventual 90 degrees and causing damage as you see the side as above.

If you're unfamiliar with the Ruger SR-556: Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4aIRxSyJd0

It not too much different than any other AR-15 BCG in function, except for no gas key or gas rings.

thanks in advance for your help.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Chuckwagon524 said:
It not too much different than any other AR-15 BCG in function, except for no gas key or gas rings.

If your Ruger AR-556 doesn't have gas rings you should be on the horn to Ruger pronto.

Same with the Gas Key and it should be staked.

Edited ... Oooooooooooooooops I see it's the SR you have. Dunno anything about the Ruger's SR-556 except it's a piston operated. But if I'm not mistaken it would still have a gas key and gas rings.

Edited again a nd OOOOOOoooooooooppppppppps again! Just checked the owners manual for the SR-556 pm Ruger's website and evidently the SR has no gas rings. Dunno about the gas key.

If a feller doesn't learn something every day the day was a lost cause. Mea culpa. :roll:

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
The Ruger SR-556 is a gas piston rifle, it has a gas piston mounted inside the gas block on the barrel and an operating rod going to the receiver. Much like an AK.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Chuckwagon524 said:
I did install the trigger. Installing an AR trigger is not that hard, it's two assemblies under spring tension held by two pins, and owner of Geissele even has videos on Youtube on how to do it and the differences between all the triggers he sells. The Ruger trigger is gritty and 8-10 lbs and all the reviews say its bad. Originally I read that lower receiver in SR556 was fully stock AR-15. The Geissele is a 2 stage trigger with 2lb take up and 2lb break and designed to break like a carrot. Geissele triggers use a full force hammer spring to avoid light primer strikes. Never fired the gun with the stock trigger. Hopefully you can see the linked pictures I took of the firing pin retaining pin.

Here's a link to images: https://plus.google.com/105071598107454307289/posts/3GJ73AXjAWF

That circular mark you see into the side of the firing pin retaining pin is about the size of the flat area on the firing pin. Just had the thought perhaps the firing pin is slamming backwards into the retaining pin when the bolt slams into battery? Or it could be the head of the firing pin from the hammer hitting it into the retaining pin? Not sure.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/curt2u/media/RugerSR-556DIAR200rndshoot052.jpg.html

When pulling the charging handle, you can feel hammer catching the underside of the bolt carrier group, but thought that was normal to AR-15 operation.

That is normal.

Unless there's a problem with the cam pin pictured (having trouble seeing it a bit, but it looks OK) then eveything looks fine to me. I've always found the firing pin (cotter) retaining pin to be a PITA to push all the way through. I switched to the DPMS M16 style because they're much easier to insert: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/890682/dpms-firing-pin-retaining-pin-m-16-style-ar-15-stainless-steel

Midway's out, but you should be able to find somewhere.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
Cam pin has minor wear from surfaces rubbing together but seems normal. The retainer pin gets so bent up in some cases you can't reinsert it after cleaning.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Chuckwagon524 said:

Is the pic above your BCG parts?

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
Well I think i have it just about resolved. Been working with Ruger tech on the issue. The pin should not rotate inside the bolt carrier. So sounds like I need a replacement bolt carrier. Appear one of the holes is out of spec and the pin is rotating to its edge.

Have to say once again, Ruger's customer service has been outstanding. Even gave me his cell phone so I could text him info.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
Sugar River said:
Chuckwagon524 said:

Is the pic above your BCG parts?

No I got some replies from people thinking I had regular AR Ruger, so posted that from web to show what the SR bolt looks like.

dingode

Single-Sixer
OK, I think I'm totally lost on this thread. A few question to set me straight.

1. Is the rifle in question a SR or AR?
2. Is the picture of the BCG the OP posted from the rifle in question?

I may have a few other questions after the above two get sorted out.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
To answer question:

1. Its the SR556
2. No, everyone posted thinking I had the Ar and so I posted a random image of what the Ruger BCG looks like.

I contacted Ruger. One of their managers contacted me. Talked it over and sent him some pictures with measurements of the BCG parts. The damage I had to the one firing pin retaining pin for a only a few hundred rounds wasn't normal he said.

The key thing he told was the way Ruger instructs their associates to install the firing pin retaining pin, is to insert it at the 12 o'clock position. When the clip starts to go in the other side, rotate it 90 degrees to the horizontal and push in fully. I did this and proceed to dry fire it. Racking the action allowing the bolt to slam home and pulling the trigger (after obviously checking it was unloaded of course) about 20-30 times. I found the retaining pin started to walk out and was rotating clockwise in the bolt carrier.
Told this to the guy at Ruger and he is express shipping me a new BCG. So I guess the retaining pin hole was perhaps a little bit out of spec. When I get the new BCG, I'll install it and test it out. Will now have a spare bolt and firing pin now too.

I am aslo going to try gas setting at position 1. He also said turning the gas off really up the accuracy of this rifle. For those of you who have this rifle might want to experiment with that.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
If anyone is interested, here's picks of the BCG. Hopefully I got this all sorted out.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7f126f07kpkidol/AAAp4IQ-XeO9FY_IMlWuokrWa?dl=0

dingode

Single-Sixer
OK, that clears it up. Glad Ruger took care of you. I need to contact them and see if I can order a few small spare parts for my SR now that they seem to have caught up on production.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
Order your parts ASAP. 4-5 months ago when I had this problem I ordered some extra retainging pins and extra bolt parts (like extractor springs) because they're so small. They didn't have a way to sell them to me so they shipped me extras free of charge. However that may change.

Chuckwagon524

Bearcat
Received the new BCG group today. The hole for the retaining pin is far more snug than the previous. Ironically it wasn't installed the way he told me to do it though. Have to try it out tonight and get some range time next weekend.