Damaged Beyond Repair P89

Help Support Ruger Forum:

detox

Bearcat
Hello,

I bought a used p89. I took it to the range before I bought it and it shoot great. After purchasing it I took it to my local gun shop to get cleaned & serviced because I had a problem removing the slide. Anyway, The shop was not able to remove the slide so they shipped it to Ruger Service center in Prescott, AZ. Here is the letter I received back from Ruger:

RugerService020.jpg

I am at a loss on what to do. I bought the P89 because I read that it was a good, sturdy and almost indestructible gun and that Ruger was a very reliable company. Upon receiving this letter I do not know if I can trust paying more money towards another Ruger product at any price. Why should I pay more money (of which I do not have) towards a Ruger? What would you do?

detox

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
detox,

Welcome to the forum.

Let's see if I have this straight. You bought a used gun. You could not remove the slide. Your gun smith could not remove the slide. They sent it to the manufacturer, who determined that the cost of repairs on this used gun would be excessive and offered to sell you a new one, at a decent price.

And you are worried about the integrity of the company?

If you take this letter to the place you purchased this pistol, they will probably give you your money back and then they can decide what to do with it, ie. fix it or replace it or even just junk it.

I don't see how something that the previous owner or some fly-by-night gun smith. did to this hand gun should reflect on the quality of the company or the company's products.

While you are making up your mind as to what to do, you might try doing a search of the forums for threads having to do with Ruger customer service. I think you will be amazed at the respect that Ruger has gained in this department.

Let us know what you decide.
DM

revhigh

Hawkeye
Double Maduro":1ussbztp said:
offered to sell you a new one, at a decent price.

A DECENT PRICE ??? Sounds like regular street prices to me. That sounds like about the WORST possible deal going. Have them return the gun unrepaired ... you'll need it for evidence.

Take the gun back to the SELLING dealer and demand your money back. Make sure you make a COPY of the letter from Ruger to show the dealer. DO NOT GIVE THE DEALER the original letter. If he refuses to help you, let him know you'll be contacting a lawyer as soon as you leave his shop.

Was there a reason that you didn't return the gun immediately to the SELLING dealer rather than a local shop, and did the gun function properly ?

Below are a few ads showing some street prices, and I searched for about 10 seconds.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676033010.html
http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676130153.html
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/52387
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/18161

Keep us informed.

REV

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Rev,

I clicked on all four of the links you provided. The cost of the guns listed on them was higher than what Ruger offered to sell the same to him for and the Ruger price included shipping.

I don't know how you or the original poster think that this is in any way Ruger's fault or problem. Or that they owe the op a discount on anything.

Anyhow detox, let us know what happens.

DM

Hangfire

Bearcat
I maybe reading between the lines but it sounds like the gun was bought from an individual sense it was taken an tried out before it was purchased. Most dealers that I know do not let a firearm go to the range with out purchasing first. You are going to have another 65 invested to have a junk gun returned to you so take Ruger up on one of their offers and chalk up the P89 to a expensive education on the purchase of used guns. I have purchased most of my firearms used and have been lucky and not burned yet.

Remember that opinions are like a$$-holes everyone has one.

96/44

Blackhawk
I think Ruger is being pretty fair. I never buy a used gun if I can't at least field strip it first. Something seriously bad must have happened to that pistol, as P89's arent exactly weak. I would probably take them up on the offer, and you will at least have a new pistol, albeit an expensive one. If you did buy it from a private party, I would pursue that first.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have to wonder. With the millions of dollars in shipping alone that Ruger has had to spend on the combined repair of the SP101 in 327, the SR9, LCP, etc. maybe the cost makes it where they can no longer stand by old products.

I really, the combined cost for shipping and repair of the SR9, LCP, SP101 327. in addition to issues we are seeing with QC issues where Blackhawks with lopsided barrels, scratches, etc have left the company only to come back to be repaired, etc. Over the last 3 years, I would not be supprised if it has cost Ruger in excess of 10 million dollars in repairs of New products.

With those sorts of costs, how can you afford to repair the older stuff?

Charlie

revhigh

Hawkeye
Double Maduro":1e079a6t said:
Rev,

I clicked on all four of the links you provided. The cost of the guns listed on them was higher than what Ruger offered to sell the same to him for and the Ruger price included shipping.

I don't know how you or the original poster think that this is in any way Ruger's fault or problem. Or that they owe the op a discount on anything.

Anyhow detox, let us know what happens.

DM

DM,

The bottom 2 are shipped prices, and indeed are around $30 more than the price Ruger gave the OP, that's why I don't consider that any kind of a deal or decent prices at all. I also never said it was in any way Ruger's fault, but in the name of customer satisfaction, I would have thought Ruger would have done more. You're right ... they had no obligation to do anything at all.

It's difficult to believe that a P89 frame could have been damaged without destroying any other parts of the gun if it was caused by a KABOOM. If not caused by a KB, maybe it WAS a manufacturing defect, or somehting like that. Who knows ????

I still would seek recourse against the seller ... private or not.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hangfire":uigd6r21 said:
I maybe reading between the lines but it sounds like the gun was bought from an individual sense it was taken an tried out before it was purchased.

How do you figure that ???? What makes you believe it was not purchased ?? I don't think the OP would care if that were the case (I wouldn't) ... give it back and say you don't want it.

REV

tech4064

Bearcat
After purchasing it I took it to my local gun shop to get cleaned & serviced because I had a problem removing the slide.

Did you remember to push the ejector down before you attempted to remove the slide?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruttttt .... rohhhhhhh .... I didn't even think of that ....

Great point tech

Mike J

Hunter
If the gun wasn't kaboomed I am curious to know what happened to damage the frame so badly.

Cholo

Staff member
How would that have destroyed the gun unless he used a 4# hammer on it? It's not a sarcastic question.

The Forum timed out on me. The question was aimed at, no pun intended, tech4064.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Sounds to me like someone got a little "brusk" in attempting to disassemble - whether it be the OP or the gun shop.

Damaged grip frame and parts? Was a hammer involved? ;)

BONDO1945

Bearcat
I had a kel tec that jamed after 8 shots. I sent it back and they replaced it with a new one, NO COST TO ME INCLUDING SHIPPING. Sold it and got a Ruger