Damaged Beyond Repair P89

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack76590

Bearcat
Specs":1ff95xr2 said:
Thinking about this, I wonder if the local shop ruined the gun while trying to remove the slide, or perhaps removed the slide and then reassembled incorrectly ?

I had the same thought. But the OP never said whether he knew the correct procedure for field stripping. If OP did know and attempt via correct field strip procedure than I don't think it is gun shop.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"To be honest, I have to question the folks at Ruger a little bit... twice I've had the slide on my P95 lock so that it would not come off and would not go back on right either.... with the help of folks on this forum I figured it out.... but it takes some doing.

Personally, I'd probably just have them send the pistol back to me...

In fact once you get it back ship it to me and I'll see if I can fix it, if not I'll ship it back for free. (just like with Ruger, we can do that with out an FFL because there is no transfer)

then again, I can't imagine the folks at Ruger don't know all the secrets on this much better than me."

That's what I'M sayin'. I've had my P89 completely disassembled so many times I can do it blind-folded. Send it to me, I'd love a shot at it, no kidding. I'm deadly serious.Whaddaya got to lose????? Think about it.

A

Anonymous

Tech, & Truth Not Relative, I'm in trouble here. I got a new p95 and took it down to clean it up before shooting. While putting the slide back on the ejector flipped back up before I got everything lined up and the slide stop put back in. Now I'm sort of hung up and the slide won't go forward or back. I don't want to go forcing things . Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks and sorry to hijack this thread but your response seemed right up my alley.

And by the way I would take the letter to the seller and let them decide what to do and tell them I wanted my $$ back.

Itchy.... I think I private posted you just a minute ago....

so check my directions... I'd also again suggest you make a separate post about the locked slide... it's easy to fix, I just think their are folks here who can explain it better than me....

my secret is a old coat hanger wire about 8-12" long with just a slight 1/4" bend in the end... and a flash light... with these you can pull the ejector lever thingy back down... but the two times I had this happen the slide was still locked and you have to do one other move to get it loose and I can't for the life of me remember what it was... it could be just giving the slide a good whap or wiggle... but I can't remember which way....

but it will come loose... I'm almost temped to lock one of mine open again so I can figure it out for you...

A

Anonymous

Blume Thanks loads. I tried that but the lever didn't seem to want to spring down easily and like I said I don't like to force things. Since I know I'm on the right track I'll be a bit more assertive. Again thanks a lot.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
My question is, did you see the gun again before the gunsmith sent it to RUGER. If you simply forgot to push the ejector down and the smith wasn't familiar with RUGER, he could have damaged it more and didn't want you to see it.

Is this smith someone you have used before? Do you trust them?
Get your p89 back and if it doesn't look bad I would take it back to whoever you bought it from.

Also ask Ruger what caused the slide to not be removed.

jack76590

Bearcat
rmansu2":ckmasblz said:
My question is, did you see the gun again before the gunsmith sent it to RUGER. If you simply forgot to push the ejector down and the smith wasn't familiar with RUGER, he could have damaged it more and didn't want you to see it.

Is this smith someone you have used before? Do you trust them?
Get your p89 back and if it doesn't look bad I would take it back to whoever you bought it from.

Also ask Ruger what caused the slide to not be removed.

Pretty much my thoughts. If the gun was shooting fine, then at that point was probably ok. If OP did not try to force anything, just did not understand how to field strip, I doubt if he harmed anything.

If sounds like "gunsmith" tried a force job. I would like to know what happened when OP handed ruger to "gunsmith" and said can not get slide off. First thing a knowledgable person would do is attempt to field strip via standard procedure. Did "gunsmith" try to field strip in front of OP. If not he probably did not know correct procedure.

How long does it take to field strip a ruger if you know how and it is undamaged - two minutes maybe. Not something you would ask a person to come back later for, again if you know how to field strip you would attempt right after receiving gun. So did "gunsmith" attempt to field strip immediately after OP handed him the gun?

I think if OP goes to seller he is going to say and probably legitimately say "it was working fine when I sold it to you."

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I agree with the suggestions that it's quite possible that the gunsmith/gunshop damaged the pistol trying to disassemble it. Depressing the ejector is a little unintuitive if you're not familiar with the P89 and if it was forced, who knows what might have happened. I'd be talking to Ruger to find out what's wrong and talking to the gunshop about at least making a contribution to the cost of fixing it.

detox":sdhmyutx said:
Thanks for the input.

The gun was purchased from a private party. I shot 50 rounds of Winchester 115 Grams FMJ through it before buying. When I got home I went to clean it. I could not remove the slide. I did not want to force it so I took it in to get serviced. The shop I took it to call and said they did not want to force off and they then said Ruger would take care of it. It was shipped to them on September 24th Next Day Delivery. After many inquires to the shop and to Ruger, I was forwarded this letter from the shop today.

For some reason I feel I have been screwed. Possibly more than once on this deal.

detox

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Itchy":2o5s4q2j said:
Tech, & Truth Not Relative, I'm in trouble here. I got a new p95 and took it down to clean it up before shooting. While putting the slide back on the ejector flipped back up before I got everything lined up and the slide stop put back in. Now I'm sort of hung up and the slide won't go forward or back. I don't want to go forcing things . Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks and sorry to hijack this thread but your response seemed right up my alley.

And by the way I would take the letter to the seller and let them decide what to do and tell them I wanted my $$ back.

Have you tried pushing the ejector back down?

DM

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
Sounds to me like someone jacked the gun up. That is not Ruger's problem. If the op damaged it, he's screwed. If he purchased it that way, take it back and get a refund.

Blut und eisen

Bearcat
Well, I'll throw in on this. Like many of you, I've have several Ruger P-series. Some come apart just fine, others are a bit reluctant. You just have to find that sweet spot. Others started out difficult to tear down and later, with use, a snap. As several others have mentioned, you can't fault the producer of an otherwise well engineered and built product to be responsible for misuse/abuse/neglect in the field. Even the best equipment can be destroyed in short order by an untrained or negligent user. My X father in law ruined a beautiful Python by continually slapping the cylinder shut. I didn't care for the man, so I never told him it was bad for the action. I survived about a month of this before it was no longer functional and as far as I know, it still isn't. But now, oddly enough, I regret not doing so as it was a superb piece craftsmanship. Although I've not found myself in detox's shoes, every weapon, five to be exact, I've sent to Ruger was returned in minimal time and in fully operational condition. On the other side of the coin, I have had nightmares with S & W. I would definitely take advantage of their very generous offer and call it good. Personally, I would opt for the P95 as striker fired weapons make me "nervous".

preventec47

Bearcat
What was the outcome of this ? I think it is possible that
there was a flaw in the ejector and Ruger had to break
the pistol to get it apart.

I would want all the parts back so I could closely inspect
all the parts and spread the word with photos as to what
failed and how.

I think there might be a coverup going on here.
Even if the guy bought a new gun from Ruger,
he should get all of his old gun back. They
were not doing a "swap" at those prices I did not think.
Why am I interested ? I might want a P89 myself.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I'd bet cash money that the "gunsmith" who originally had the gun broke it.

preventec47":bhi9ozv6 said:
What was the outcome of this ? I think it is possible that
the pistol to get it apart.

I would want all the parts back so I could closely inspect
all the parts and spread the word with photos as to what
failed and how.

I think there might be a coverup going on here.
Even if the guy bought a new gun from Ruger,
he should get all of his old gun back. They
were not doing a "swap" at those prices I did not think.
Why am I interested ? I might want a P89 myself.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"I think it is possible that
the pistol to get it apart."

Not a chance. The P89 has grip panels, removing the grip panels allows removal of the ejector, flawed or not flawed. Even if the ejector were "stuck", it can be removed without any damage to the pistol itself. I'd love to get a look at this pistol in person.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Besides, if they determined that they had to break it to get it apart, what would be the purpose of even taking it apart (if they knew that they would break the pistol, apparently "beyond repair").

jammer45

Bearcat
Buyer said he bought it and the slide racked and worked fine. He shot 50 rounds flawlessly didnt remember him saying it jammed or any problems ejecting or loading ammo. He admitted he went home to clean it and couldn't get slide off and was asked if he remembered to push ejector down he said ut oh nope he didn't I think pistol at this point was still fine. He then took it to the gunsmith and the gunsmith let the slide slam against it and tried to hammer against it or something and bent the extractor and or something else and said I don't want to force it to keep from paying for damages himself.

Not Ruger's or the buyers Fault I bet the culprit here is the Gunsmith.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Hangfire":2j2hfjdu said:
I maybe reading between the lines but it sounds like the gun was bought from an individual sense it was taken an tried out before it was purchased. Most dealers that I know do not let a firearm go to the range with out purchasing first. You are going to have another 65 invested to have a junk gun returned to you so take Ruger up on one of their offers and chalk up the P89 to a expensive education on the purchase of used guns. I have purchased most of my firearms used and have been lucky and not burned yet.........

I agree. Take Ruger's offer. Sounds like a deal to me.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
detox":x8a9eyfk said:
Hello,

I bought a used p89. I took it to the range before I bought it and it shoot great. After purchasing it I took it to my local gun shop to get cleaned & serviced because I had a problem removing the slide. Anyway, The shop was not able to remove the slide so they shipped it to Ruger Service center in Prescott, AZ.

This is the beginning of the original post. As I said, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the "gunsmith" broke it.